Thanks

Need Info on isometric game art

Hey all.

Does anyone have any experience with Isometric game making.
    not the coding, just the art side.
    I found a few tutorials about using 3d models, which is cool but I also want to see some 2d stuff. I might be delving into it soon and want to have a bit of a knowlegde of how to go about it, to speed up the process and not have to waste time learning the hard way (making lots of mistakes)
    any info would be great.

onion.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You mean like the tile-based pixel type?
    I remember reading a tutorial about it... I'll see if I can find it, that is if this is what you mean
    Edit: The tutorial was only about tile creating for platform games :/. Sorry
    Last edited by Lady Medusa; March 24th, 2006 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Medusa
    You mean like the tile-based pixel type?
    I remember reading a tutorial about it... I'll see if I can find it, that is if this is what you mean
    Yip, thats the type I mean.
    I found another article speaking about Diablo and how they managed to change from the tiles to larger images for maps, so that it wouldn't look so repeditive.

I'm just searching the web now but a lot of the links go nowhere or don't give much in the way of art explination.
    Anything you can find would be helpful thanks.

Thanks
    I have some xp (haha pun) with this, but some clear questions would be easier to answer to. I don't really have the time to write up an essay on the subject
    Feel free to contact me through pm or msn

cheers
    WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Someone sent me a tutorial for it the other day but I never bookmarked it. Google brought me this though:

http://www.pixelfreak.com/tutorial/

http://rhysd.syntesis.org/tutorial/chapter2point3.html

There's some different approaches to the corners and how well the edges tile (overlap or not). Sometimes you need that half-pixel resolution that isn't there. There really isn't much to learn about it otherwise. I find it helpful to suggest the shape on the ground, then do the roof of the shape, then I fill in the sides.... otherwise it's easy to get lost.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    http://www.idigitalemotion.com/tutor...cube/cube.html (pixel cubes)
    http://www.kirupa.com/motiongraphics..._art_lines.htm (pixel-lines)
    http://rhysd.syntesis.org/tutorial/index.php (Prom's second link, my bookmark just goes to the index, good overview)
    http://www.citycreator.com/ (something to play around with)
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pixelart/ (link archive to some tutorials)
    http://www.19.5degs.com/element/832.php (another good overview)
    http://www.opensword.org/Pixen/ (program for creating pixel-art, Mac OS 10.3+ needed)

Thanks
    http://www.x-panded.com/pixeldam/index.asp

http://pixel.nascimpact.com/tutoriaux.php

The important part is to start with a good grid (you have to be careful how the diagonals meet.) An exemple I did last year (it's quite basic and was done for mobile)

Last edited by Qitsune; March 24th, 2006 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks
    Hyver - Just want to know how to get started really, Ive been sketching little things and using PS to color, I thought there might be some dedicated programs out there somewhere, or some tricks and tips to speed up my learning curve. Also things like, how many layers to use, how many can I use, how the layers would work together, I could always cut things up later but it would be nice to know things ahead of time.

Prometheus|ANJ -
    Thanks I'll check em out.
    I seen all the stuff on your site too, I often go there when I'm frustrated and just have a browse, it calms me down. Those phalic spaceships are awsome.

is that painter? he he he he

_Mario
    Thanks, thats a chunk of info. I'm gonna start eating it.

qitsune
    Thanks, that picture looks cute.

I think I'm gonna try get a copy of Fallout, to research, that's what I call it when I play games or watch movies - research

Thanks
    I worked on Fallout Tactics and Hot Wheels Bash Arena, both isometric tile based games. In both cases we used 3d models to generate the tile graphics.

To give you an idea of the volume of work involved in the Fallout TActics, we had something in the order of 10,000 separate scenery tile graphics. We also had 42 character sprites, each with at least of twenty animation sequences, rendered in eight directions. That added up to around about 20,000 frames of animation. We used 3DS Max to model and animate and a very neat camera stage and maxscript to render the graphics. Because the rendering and sprite building process was automated, we were able to churn through this massive volume of work in the time available.

My advice is to forget about drawing sprites by hand and learn to use 3D. Even on a small scale project, the time cost involved in hand drawing multi-directional isometric sprites is astronomical. That is leaving aside the difficulties of ensuring visual consistency, timing etc.
    Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

My portfolio review thread can be found here.

Thanks
    SimonL:
    yep, I'm giving serious thought to the 3d element. I can animate by hand quite fast, but scanning it all in and fixing up the images would be painful.
    My friend (shirik) and I are just starting on this, so we havn't got to the actual animation part yet, we're still working on concepts and stuff.

Mike:
    thanks, if I run into any problems I'll be sure to throw them towards you,
    I'll throw them underhand so they won't be hard.
    Hey how long till you can show your work?
    I guess at the moment I'm interested to know about the size of the maps images. I was reading that it's possible to make very large ground maps.

thought I'd stick these on the post for interest.
    this is where I'm at, at this moment. Just concept stuff.
    robots, mechs, characters.

Thanks
    I would't recommend 3D if you're working at handheld resolution and with few animation frames. That sort of thing has to be hand optimized pixel by pixel. Megaman Battle Network / Exe has some good -what appears to be hand drawn- isometric graphics.

I'm currently working on an UFO/X-COM-ish game (personal project), but I'm not sure what platform to use yet. I'm torn between Handheld pixelated and some large handdrawn PC resolution. My philosophy is to sacrifice animation for content. If I don't have to draw a ton of frames for every design, I can include more designs.
    However, I suppose if realtime 3D is used, the whole animation frames problem goes away, aswell as drawing things from many different angles. It's surprising how playable a game can be with just static characters sliding around though, just take a look at NetHack (although the UI is terribly steep for beginners).

...Speaking of which... I also have a NetHack project... well NetHack meets some old school NES RPG that is.

My projects have dev diaries here. I'm coding stuff myself. I don't like other chefs, the keep putting disgusting stuff in my soup.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Prometheus:
    Yeah there is something soothing about simplicity.
    I'm not sure how limited to go, I know it cant be too simple.
    but it cant be overly complicated. I cant begin to think of the programing side of what we are planning but it is important we keep it small.
    we are however putting a lot into the animation, characters will perhaps be over animated - METALSLUG -
    though we have learnt ways to cheat animation so the number of frames can be reduced.

Hey Prometheus I saw in your game dev diary you spoke about a second window at a different resolution, hows that done? would I need two screens. it sounds very useful. and by the way those guns look really cool.

Thanks
    Second window? Oh, I was talking about Photoshop 5.5. In the 'View' menu there's a 'New View' option at the top. It opens a another window of the same canvas, so anything you paint on one canvas is also done on the other canvas, which is really the same canvas as the original one (in memory).

I find this useful when painting faces too. If I'm nibbling on a face very zoomed in, then it's easy to get lost, so I have another window zoomed out where I can see the face in the context of the body and the other elements.

Thanks
    Prom: Ive been using the navigation window to do the same thing.

just been playing around trying to figure out what the best way to go sbout this is. I did a little test here, took about half an hour to do this little guy, I think I could hammer through a few animations a day. the quality aint great but I reckon it's close to what I'm going for at the moment.

any tips/comment welcome.
    I should work on some angled run cycles and see how hard they are, with horizontal flipping I only gotta do half the work.

Need Info on isometric game art Need Info on isometric game art
    Last edited by onionface; March 27th, 2006 at 08:34 AM.