What is Cooper Union all about?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What is Cooper Union all about?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What is Cooper Union all about?

Hey pals

I applied to cooper union, meaning i did the massive home test and all the little questions and what not, and afterward i realized that i only was interested because it seems so prestigious without having any real idea as to what kind of school it is.

I would like to know what areas it is strong in, ie. traditional fine arts vs. modern art etc. is it going to be abstract theory or are they going to be strict? innovative? slack? traditional?

I am really looking for a solid foundation in traditional training through life drawing, color theory, perspective, anatomy, all the good stuff. at the same time i hope they are innovative and push creativity

do you think cooper is a good school for this?

any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think cooper union is a really fine artsy school meaning a heavy lean towards modern art. I have a teacher who went there that said they had a class on perspective but the teachers there had no idea about the rules of perspective. Basically, for them it was just making a few vanishing points and drawing some lines towards it.

Somehow I doubt they would teach you the real science behind color or getting the life of a gesture. I would think that they would rather you focus on making something new and novel.

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Cooper is all about the Modern Art. I highly doubt you'll find anything slightly useful at that school.

You're better off attending a school that's more notoriously traditional. My best advice to you is be verrry suspicious about every school you apply to, and ask them questions until their ears bleed. Ask the the most important questions more than once, and just rephrase them.

A lot of school's admissions counselors will feed you a lot of BS. They don't care about what you care about, believe me. They just want your cash.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gory
    A lot of school's admissions counselors will feed you a lot of BS. They don't care about what you care about, believe me. They just want your cash.
    To be fair, that's one thing you can't say about Cooper, since it's free.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    To be fair, that's one thing you can't say about Cooper, since it's free.
    And they've been around forever and a day so obviously they're doing something okay. Whether it's right for me or you is a different matter.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.