Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Oil Panting Help

Hey all,

I have decided to pick up some oil painting, but I have never done it before. So I have a few questions:

1. Do I need pro oil paints or will the lower quality student's oil paints work for starting up?

2. What are the best colours to start out with that are absolutely neccesary in my painting kit? (please give full colour names)

3. Brushes best suitable? Round, flat, natural, synthetic....?

4. Other props that I need?? Linseed oil? Turpentine?

5. ohh forgot, how big the tube? How long does one last, they re quite expensive ....?

Any other advice?

Thanks, all help will be greatly appreciated

Edite
    SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The student quality paint will be just fine for your needs. The difference between them and the pro-paints is noticable, but you don't want to spend a lot of money if you're not sure that it's something you're going to continue doing.

Absolutely necessary colours? You'll get a lot of varying opinions on the subject. If you're just starting out, cadmium red middle, alizarin crimson, yellow ochre, cadmium yellow middle, viridian green, ultramarine blue, burnt sienna, burnt umber and titanium white would probably do you just fine (anybody else, feel free to contradict me on this!). Black can be useful but beginners have the tendency to misuse it, so I'd stay away from it if you're just starting out.

For brushes, get a variety of sizes and shapes. The rule of thumb I've found is that for oil, get natural bristles, and for acrylic, get synthetic. Whatever works for you though. Just don't spend too much money! A $5 brush is still a brush and it's better to wear it out now and get another one later than spend $40 on a brush and realise you'll almost never use it.

I hate turpentine--smelly, gives me headaches--but you do need a solvent to clean your brushes and mix in with mediums. I use taltine (a.k.a odourless mineral spirits) and I've had good experiences with turpenoid as a brush cleaner (but not really to mix for mediums). One thing I've heard is that those citrus solvent things are horrible, awful, bad for you. They're very toxic.

You're probably going to want to thin your paint, and for that you'll need to know a bit about mixing mediums. What I like to use is a mixture about half linseed oil, half taltine and a little bit of alkyd medium (for faster drying). As you start your painting, the rule of thumb is to use more solvent, and as you get closer to the end use progressively more oil. The more oil you use, the slower it will dry. You can use these mediums to make glazes (basically, it's a lot of medium with very little paint to get a transparent effect...a paint that has a transparent quality like pthalo blue and burnt sienna will work best for this. Opaque paint like white and the cadmiums will not be good for glazing).

Oil painting is a complex subject. I've only been doing it for a few years, so I'm sure the more experienced people will be able to tell you a lot more than I can.
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Thanked 16,681 Times in 5,021 Posts
    There are literally thirteen bazillion threads asking exactly the same question, most of which I've contibuted to. A few carefully chose search terms will get you enough information to make your head spin.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    1. Do I need pro oil paints or will the lower quality student's oil paints work for starting up?
    student grade will do when first starting out.
    however, a good brand is not that much more, and will make a HUGE difference.
    i use "rembrandt" brand paint, which is often less expensive than "winton" student paint.
    the real cost comes in what colors you buy, not what brand.
    certain blues and purples, for instance, can be VERY expensive.

2. What are the best colours to start out with that are absolutely neccesary in my painting kit? (please give full colour names)
    what palette you use is very personal.
    it also depends on what you will be painting, landscape, portrait, etc.
    below is a good starter palette:
    titanium white
    ivory black
    alizarin crimson
    cadmium red
    cadmium yellow
    yellow ochre
    transparent red oxide ( or burnt sienna will do)
    cadmium green (or yellowish green <much cheaper)
    sap green
    manganese blue pthalo
    ultramarine blue
    raw umber

3. Brushes best suitable? Round, flat, natural, synthetic....?
    i start every painting with a really large bristle brush, shape doesnt matter.
    then i use synthetic filberts, sizes 8,6,4,2
    and i finish detail with a size 1 "liner" brush (basically just a small round)

4. Other props that I need?? Linseed oil? Turpentine?
    minimum...turpenoid.
    linseed oil is also good.
    every artist has their own special concoction of what they mix with their paint.
    mine is:
    MEDIUM:
    1 part Cold Pressed Linseed Oil
    1 part Odorless Turpenoid
    A few drops of Cobalt drier

5. ohh forgot, how big the tube? How long does one last, they re quite expensive ....?
    small tubes will do (37 ml), except you should probably get the big tube of white (150 ml)

Any other advice?
    yeah, dont use canvas board, it sucks.
    a good artist can produce a decent work with just about any materials.
    however, bad supplies will make it unneccesarily difficult.

what/how you want to paint will define the surface you work on.
    big bold painting works well on canvas.
    but if you want to paint tiny detailed things, the canvas will drive you insane.
    try using illustration board instead, with a few thin coats of acrylic gesso to prime it.

i posted a really lengthy tutorial a while back:
    http://69.16.210.25/forums/showthread.php?t=45901

hope that helps.
    good luck, and be sure to share what you paint!
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    If I may, I'd like to ask one of my questions in here: what are this illustration boards exactly? maybe it's because I am a little german dude and so it might only be a matter of translation-problems but here in germany I searched for "illustration boards" and I found nothing. The only thing that we seem to have over here are so called oil painting papers and canvas/canvas-boards.
    So please help me and tell me what these illustration boards are so that I don't have to import anything from the US wich I can get in our next door art-store as well.
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Illustration board is basically archival quality cardboard. It's thicker and heavier than paper, but not as thick and rigid as masonite or wood panel. It's a good painting surface but not overly expensive.

Crescent is the biggest manufacturer I can think of, so perhaps a search for "crescent board" would work?
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    I love to use strathmore illustration board, also. I fine it's good for alot of different things, Even for bigger graphite work. It's so smooth that you won't get those little "pores" like you do with regular sketchbook paper. It's like working on really thick bristol.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Gloom, Illustration board is a hold-over from the pre-computer days. It's CARDBOARD, DUDE! But nice cardboard. Comes in a number of weights. If you have a piece of Mat board handy, it will give you some idea of how thick standard weight illustration board is. There's a version twice as thick, and I have seen specially-made versions four and five times as thick.

It was used in the advertising industry for decades to produce mechanicals/keys/art-for-pre-press and to do quicky illustrations for the trade. The board is just l stack of very stiff paper finished off on top with a good quality white layer of paper or thin board that takes ink and paint fairly well.

There are different finishes: Cold-pressed (sort of rough--almost like a smoothish watercolor board), hot-pressed (smooth enough to draw on with a technical pen like a Leroy or Rapidograph without snagging), and sometimes, you come across textured boards that have an embossed surface so they look like a phoney canvas, linen or a pebbley surface.

If you're going to use oil paints on it, you should coat the board with a few coats of gesso, with a light sanding between. Coat the back, too, or the bastard will roll up on you like a tampon tube when it dries.

Should be available in various sizes (15"x20", 20"x30", 30"x40" or whatever metric is close) at any place that sells mat board and artist supplies. Don't get mat board by mistake. It's too absorbant, and the top layer of paper is real shit and will delaminate right off in front of you when water hits it.

Primary manufacturers are Crescent, Strathmore, and I think Letramax makes some.

In some countries, it might be called "art" board. There's also lighter weights called bristol board, and if you can't find anything else, look for a watercolor board that's not real expensive, but these tend to be rough-surfaced and they're hard to draw on with a pen.

hope that helps.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    FooXoo, DSIllustration's list is very good place to start.

Student grade oils aren't real bad if you get a better grade, but nearly all of them are full of shitty fillers like clay and stuff that makes 'em hard to work with in glazes and thinned applications. The filler also makes the color mixing a bitch, because the colors come out all muddy.

If in doubt, go for one of the mainstream brands in small tubes if you're on a tight budget. The difference between even the worst of the pro paints and "student/crafts" shit is incredible.

There's a rule of "fat over lean" that is very important in oil painting that a lot of people forget. Always use thinned paints (turp, whatever) for the initial painting, then use "fatter" or thicker impasto applications over it. Otherwise, you're fighting yourself, and the art will crack and dry unevenly causing you a lot of problems later.

One way to speed up a painting if you're on a tight deadline is to use water-thinned acrylics as the underpainting (dries in minutes) then work with oils over it. As long as you don't pile the acrylic on with a shovel, there shouldn't be a problem.

And watch black oil paint. It's gross. Takes forever to dry. (Almost as bad as white.) Mix your darks from other colors. Addining black can extend drying time by as much as SIX MONTHS.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Altough Elwell is right that there are many many threads about this topic,
    it is always nice to learn something new from the more advanced.

I will give that "cardboard" a try.
    Until know i used just oil paper block (next to panels and canvaz)
    which is glued on the backside to the next page; not really that great but good enough for sketches.

I bought a "acryl paper" a day before with a weight of 360g/m&#178;,
    so will this work as cardboard or has it to be much heavier?
    Bristol paper, which is the heaviest paper in my artstore (there aren&#180;t really much in Germany) has a max. weight of 925g/m&#178; but has just a smooth surface.
    Enlighten me!

Xaya

[edit] I remember i saw a picture of Rockwell painting some of his illustration on something looking not really different from a more thicker paper.... what&#180;s that?[edit]
    Last edited by Xaya; March 23rd, 2006 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,681 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    I love to use strathmore illustration board, also. I fine it's good for alot of different things, Even for bigger graphite work. It's so smooth that you won't get those little "pores" like you do with regular sketchbook paper. It's like working on really thick bristol.
    I looooooooove Strathmore illustration board .
    Unlike most boards, it's white paper all the way through, not just paper mounted on chip board. If you're gessoing, or using any water based paints, it absorbs the moisture far more evenly, dries smoothly, and there's never any danger of delaminating. Like Interceptor says, it's great for drawing too, because it's practically bulletproof. You can erase heavy black areas back down to pure white and rework them repeatedly without damaging the surface.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    erase heavy black areas back down to pure white and rework them repeatedly without damaging the surface
    Thanks for the tip Elwell, sounds like I should be looking into using this stuff too... I'm a big-time eraser.
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Great information! Thanks DS and everyone else.

Thanks
    thanks dudes. actually that was what I thought that illustration board are, but honestly I can't find this stuff here in germany, lol, kinda strange
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    There are literally thirteen bazillion threads asking exactly the same question, most of which I've contibuted to
    yeah, I lost me enthusiasm to give broad pointers after about the first 5 or 6 of these I saw. There must be a huge pile of them submerged at the bottom of the Fine Arts and Discovery forum with a 200 lb. chain wrapped around them
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast