first time poster

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Question first time poster

i would like to know what you all think of how i do my art. i am looking to improve in the way i do things. i know i need help in shading and highlighting and a few other things.

all done in photo shop 7 with a mouse.

pleases note that the characters in the image(s) below are (c) to there Creator, and that there where refs used for most if not all.

also pleases note that i can do eyes right i just tend to do eyes the way show out of habit.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Theres a lot going right here, but theres also a lot that needs to be worked on.

-All your pieces are from an exact side view. Try to mix up the angles; don't just get good at one, because chances are itt'l be a lot harder to break away from it in a few months rather than doing it now.

-As you've said, you do have some issues with lighting. I'd suggest doing a search for some tutorials around the site; there's a few really good ones.

-You seem to have some anatomy problems(mostly applicable to the first and last ones), but I really don't know that much about dogs anatomy, so I can't help you much.

-Probably most important: figure/background relationship. All your pictures look like you painted a background, then at some point painted a wolf, and copy/pasted the wolf onto the background. There's quite a battle for attention between the detailed backgrounds, and the simplistic subject. It really should be the other way around, if not even. I'd suggest hand painting the backgrounds, they look rather 'filtery'(apologies if you did paint them, but really...if you can do that with a mouse, why not give the dogs the same treatment?).

Post some more stuff. Let's see what you can do besides dogs.

SSG #11 is louder than 10.
    Taj | SkapeGoat | Dose206 | NoŽ | Cromsoneye | Tie | wil.whalen

Thanks
    thank you for your incite on the images i posted.

and no i don't do the backgrounds by hand with a mouse, there done with bruses... i guess i forgot to Manichean that.

i am working on my human anatomy. i will be honest here and say that i spent around 2 years drawing nothing but dogs and cats to where i am almost good at doing them with out refs, but sadly my human anatomy suffered a lot. i am slowly getting my self back on to doing humans. right now i am saving money up to get one of those human figure thins that you can pose.

angles i hate them with a passion but i have slowly worked my way in to a 3/4 view of a dog/wolf head. and that took around 2 weeks till i was happy with it, but i know it can still use work.

I'll see if i can find any of my other drawings that i have laying around and see if i can give you an line art of what my humans look like.

again thanks for the incite

Thanks
    You should try doing some detailed sketches from good reference picts (just search google images and set the image size to large) of dogs and stuff you like. Also, draw some canine skeletons if you want to get a better idea of the form. Hope this helps!

Your backgrounds are neat, only crit I have about them is that in the first 2 pics, the blue sky shows thru the grass. To avoid this, try making the grass and sky on different layers, then make a layer between them and put down flat green with a circle brush so that the 'holes' will be green and not blue. Bleah, hard to decribe that with words alone (though it's easy to do). Welcome to the forum and keep posting!

Thanks
    thank you.

google is my best friend when it comes to finding references. and i know what your talking about on how to get the "blue" out of the grass. i guess i was just a bit rushed to finish the treads to remember to look the grass over and see if i need to do that.

again thank you.

Thanks
    hey Kayaookami, it's Matt from Dave's class. if your saving up for those little posable figures I would suggest investing in Poser 6 or you could get the free Daz Studio from daz3d.com. they work better than little wooden figures.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.