Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks

Chicks who draw chicks: CA Calendar (discussion moving to girls-only forum!)

Hey everyone! This idea was spawned in the Girls-Only TD thread and I thought it might need a little more discussion.

The idea is that the girls of Concept Art could collaborate on a calendar, each participant creating a finished illustration for one or two months (of the calendar), depending on the number of artists. The proposed idea for the calendar would be "Chicks who Draw Chicks" (title probably will change) and it's a way for the girls here to take the reins and show off their takes on the women of the sci-fi and fantasy world.

There seems to be a dead tie for those who support the idea and those who are against it. I'd be curious to hear thoughts from both view points to see if this would be a worthwhile project (though, even if there's a lot of negative feedback, it might come to fruition anyway if enough girls here still want to work on it )

My original intent would be to portray women in a positive, sexy light - ya know, like pin ups were intended to. This can be as softcore or innocent as you like, or as assertive and blatant as you see fit. Nudity is of course ok, but nothing exceding the NC-17 mark.

So far, these artists who have shown interest:

[B]
    The Fab 15:

-Magicgoo
    -Fixx
    -Poise
    -Qitsune
    -Steph
    -Yumiko
    -Bluefooted
    -Tully
    -AngryScientist
    -Molly
    -Egerie
    -Quicksilver
    -Artkitty
    -Julianna
    -sve
    -Fooxoo
    -Eshara
    -Nonie
    -Cookiedough
    -Layil
    -Egets
    -Waronmars
    -La Palida
    -Julianna
    -Brat_777
    -Emily G
    -Hillartsympho
    -Soliloque
    -Look
    -Julianna
    -Kittywolf (maybe? )
    -Nero's Master (pretty please?)
    -Sapphire
    -B Prodigy
    -Ooglemeanimations

TOTAL: 34 ARTISTS OF AWESOMENESS!
    DEADLINE FOR PARTICIPATION: 5/1/06

If you're on the list, please check out the calendar thread in the Girls Only forum - for access, send a kind PM to Davi if you haven't been given access already!

So girls, guys, what are your thoughts? If you have ideas for a different calendar or suggestions for this theme, please share them here.

Last edited by Steph Laberis; April 1st, 2006 at 01:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    i like the idea. will be interesting to see what comes out of it.
    my only other idea is,as said in the other thread already,guys doing guys-also rather pinup style.
    or various collabs between the "guy and girl section".(like,girl draws girl,and boy has to match his style somewhat to bring in a boy)

edit: and i thought yumiko wanted to add herself aswell?

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    I think its an excellent idea, kind of a new take on a 1930-60 kind of glamour pinup ones, maybe the similar poses but adapted to new themes and styles, may wanna b careful to make sure it dun look trashy.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,345 Times in 2,869 Posts
    it is totally bizarre that i had this same discussion yesterday with yumiko....we were trying to figure out some ways to have the ca community support itself better and a calandar was one of the things discussed. we have also been having discussions at times about how to promote the women on the site better so that the place becomes a bit more gender balanced...even just a little.

so yall have my full support on this one. i will talk to the other ca directors and see about printing and such. we should be able to get it printed in shanghai thru mb's sister studio at a lower cost as well. Will look into some options.

there are enuff male dominated events going on around here already...so would be good to keep the guys out of this one. sorry carnifex.

Jason

Thanks
    hey,no problem. wasn't my idea originally,but virus artist's. i'm fine with it.
    guess i didn't really think about printed calenders. my bad.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Oh dude, a printed calender thats freaking awesome i would totally buy one.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    are they gonna be sold at the next workshop?
    pleeeeeeez.
    (and panties with the mb logo,sorry for offtopic )

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    You know, I really don't understand why an art should have some gender mentioned near it. It doesn't matter only girls or boys or something in between draw it as far as it is a good art. Because it shouldn't not be judged by the gender, and age btw, and social status too. The only criteria should be the skills and the ability to transfer your thought to viewer.

And the same way it is strange to me to hear about special conditions for chosen gender artists. I really don't see any attraction in it. I believe a good art will be likable despite all odds. I think all these ideas about girls being in the back of the CA are in our imagination. I think it's artificial.
    I apologise before head if my words offended someone, really didn't mean that.

Thanks
    I'm looking forward to this and the TD the more I get to think about them. If there were ever a published calendar I and a few more others I know would definitely buy it.

Sve: Well, it is a sad fact that when you go to an artist's/comics/ca convention, the first thing people think is: who's she with? Not, which artist is that? Happened to me lots of times at the Boston Wizard Con. On the other hand, the male artists seemed to give me more time than they gave the nerdy fan-boys. hehe.

Batman gives me warm fuzzies

my sketches

my web

Thanks
    Sounds cool - a calender would be a fun project. I'd be willing to contribute something. I'll keep monitoring this thread.

Thanks
    I'd really like to do it! Only problem being what I just mentioned in the other thread... no spare time till may. If this isn't going to be urgent, you'd better believe I'm in.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Hey Great!! this sounds awesome! and Thank you Jason and Yumiko for going to extents to get the Calendar printed, this is really cool!!!
    I am actually pretty Darn excited about this thing, hell yes!!
    Sve Come on Girly!! this is like hangin with the girls. I Do agree with you on some extent though, about how Art shouldn't have gender, age, or social status being of importance.

It really isn't important to me really, I am seeing it as something fun. hmmm Kinda like when you hang with the girls and you feel at ease to talk about your relationships and feeling to your female friends. With men maybe it is harder for them to understand where you are coming from(not bad, just different conversation).

I find most of the time when I talk to my girlfriends it is a like a silent dance we don't have to explain everything, we just know. Soo... I say this is kind like, for me a breath of fresh air to be able to girlify a drawing and make everything that is feminine in me come out, and see what other female artist create.
    I am really excited to see what you girls come up with!
    I think it would be awesome Sve if you did a month, your work has really
    gotten great! I want to see what you come up with.

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    *raises hand* I'd like to take part! Colabs sound like a mighty fine idea too

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.