Chicks who draw chicks: CA Calendar (discussion moving to girls-only forum!)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chicks who draw chicks: CA Calendar (discussion moving to girls-only forum!)

Hey everyone! This idea was spawned in the Girls-Only TD thread and I thought it might need a little more discussion.

The idea is that the girls of Concept Art could collaborate on a calendar, each participant creating a finished illustration for one or two months (of the calendar), depending on the number of artists. The proposed idea for the calendar would be "Chicks who Draw Chicks" (title probably will change) and it's a way for the girls here to take the reins and show off their takes on the women of the sci-fi and fantasy world.

There seems to be a dead tie for those who support the idea and those who are against it. I'd be curious to hear thoughts from both view points to see if this would be a worthwhile project (though, even if there's a lot of negative feedback, it might come to fruition anyway if enough girls here still want to work on it )

My original intent would be to portray women in a positive, sexy light - ya know, like pin ups were intended to. This can be as softcore or innocent as you like, or as assertive and blatant as you see fit. Nudity is of course ok, but nothing exceding the NC-17 mark.

So far, these artists who have shown interest:

[B]
    The Fab 15:

-Magicgoo
    -Fixx
    -Poise
    -Qitsune
    -Steph
    -Yumiko
    -Bluefooted
    -Tully
    -AngryScientist
    -Molly
    -Egerie
    -Quicksilver
    -Artkitty
    -Julianna
    -sve
    -Fooxoo
    -Eshara
    -Nonie
    -Cookiedough
    -Layil
    -Egets
    -Waronmars
    -La Palida
    -Julianna
    -Brat_777
    -Emily G
    -Hillartsympho
    -Soliloque
    -Look
    -Julianna
    -Kittywolf (maybe? )
    -Nero's Master (pretty please?)
    -Sapphire
    -B Prodigy
    -Ooglemeanimations

TOTAL: 34 ARTISTS OF AWESOMENESS!
    DEADLINE FOR PARTICIPATION: 5/1/06

If you're on the list, please check out the calendar thread in the Girls Only forum - for access, send a kind PM to Davi if you haven't been given access already!

So girls, guys, what are your thoughts? If you have ideas for a different calendar or suggestions for this theme, please share them here.

Last edited by Steph Laberis; April 1st, 2006 at 01:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i like the idea. will be interesting to see what comes out of it.
    my only other idea is,as said in the other thread already,guys doing guys-also rather pinup style.
    or various collabs between the "guy and girl section".(like,girl draws girl,and boy has to match his style somewhat to bring in a boy)

edit: and i thought yumiko wanted to add herself aswell?

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think its an excellent idea, kind of a new take on a 1930-60 kind of glamour pinup ones, maybe the similar poses but adapted to new themes and styles, may wanna b careful to make sure it dun look trashy.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,139 Times in 2,686 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it is totally bizarre that i had this same discussion yesterday with yumiko....we were trying to figure out some ways to have the ca community support itself better and a calandar was one of the things discussed. we have also been having discussions at times about how to promote the women on the site better so that the place becomes a bit more gender balanced...even just a little.

so yall have my full support on this one. i will talk to the other ca directors and see about printing and such. we should be able to get it printed in shanghai thru mb's sister studio at a lower cost as well. Will look into some options.

there are enuff male dominated events going on around here already...so would be good to keep the guys out of this one. sorry carnifex.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,no problem. wasn't my idea originally,but virus artist's. i'm fine with it.
    guess i didn't really think about printed calenders. my bad.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh dude, a printed calender thats freaking awesome i would totally buy one.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are they gonna be sold at the next workshop?
    pleeeeeeez.
    (and panties with the mb logo,sorry for offtopic )

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I really don't understand why an art should have some gender mentioned near it. It doesn't matter only girls or boys or something in between draw it as far as it is a good art. Because it shouldn't not be judged by the gender, and age btw, and social status too. The only criteria should be the skills and the ability to transfer your thought to viewer.

And the same way it is strange to me to hear about special conditions for chosen gender artists. I really don't see any attraction in it. I believe a good art will be likable despite all odds. I think all these ideas about girls being in the back of the CA are in our imagination. I think it's artificial.
    I apologise before head if my words offended someone, really didn't mean that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm looking forward to this and the TD the more I get to think about them. If there were ever a published calendar I and a few more others I know would definitely buy it.

Sve: Well, it is a sad fact that when you go to an artist's/comics/ca convention, the first thing people think is: who's she with? Not, which artist is that? Happened to me lots of times at the Boston Wizard Con. On the other hand, the male artists seemed to give me more time than they gave the nerdy fan-boys. hehe.

Batman gives me warm fuzzies

my sketches

my web

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds cool - a calender would be a fun project. I'd be willing to contribute something. I'll keep monitoring this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd really like to do it! Only problem being what I just mentioned in the other thread... no spare time till may. If this isn't going to be urgent, you'd better believe I'm in.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Great!! this sounds awesome! and Thank you Jason and Yumiko for going to extents to get the Calendar printed, this is really cool!!!
    I am actually pretty Darn excited about this thing, hell yes!!
    Sve Come on Girly!! this is like hangin with the girls. I Do agree with you on some extent though, about how Art shouldn't have gender, age, or social status being of importance.

It really isn't important to me really, I am seeing it as something fun. hmmm Kinda like when you hang with the girls and you feel at ease to talk about your relationships and feeling to your female friends. With men maybe it is harder for them to understand where you are coming from(not bad, just different conversation).

I find most of the time when I talk to my girlfriends it is a like a silent dance we don't have to explain everything, we just know. Soo... I say this is kind like, for me a breath of fresh air to be able to girlify a drawing and make everything that is feminine in me come out, and see what other female artist create.
    I am really excited to see what you girls come up with!
    I think it would be awesome Sve if you did a month, your work has really
    gotten great! I want to see what you come up with.

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *raises hand* I'd like to take part! Colabs sound like a mighty fine idea too

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, if there's any CA promo type stuff where gender isn't the issue, I'd pitch in. As is, I'm looking forward to seeing this calendar

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm conflicted... on the one hand, a calendar does sound like a lovely idea, and I know poise and Tully both do fantastic work, so I'm looking forward to the results.

On the other hand... I really do think there should be no difference between us and the guys, in any professional regard, and at least personally, I'm reluctant to do things which identify me as a girl instead of an artist. I'd rather see a calendar of the top talents from CA, even though that means there's no way I'd make it in, than get in just because I was a girl.

I agree with sve, personally - I've never felt marginalized by CA. If anything, I regard CA as being much more a meritocracy than the real world, and I'd hate to endanger that.

Not trying to rain on your parade - I'm happy that you guys are getting together and enjoying the idea so much - just contributing my two cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a cool idea!
    I agree a lil with Sve that girls shouldnt need to be promoted here, but it is soooo male dominated, that its kinda necassary to do this thing in order to get more girls involved with this environment.
    We're not asking for special treatment, cos I dont think we need it;
    but summink for just the ladies would be very, very VERY interesting...

..... showing a bit of tit 'n' arse aint the only way to get your attentions!hehehehe...

Mollyx
    (In support of prick teasing)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but you made sure that it's the primary way of getting it.
    daaaaaaamn.
    (sorry to disturb here,i'm off again)

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jason! Glad to hear you're stoked for this as well, and man, many thanks for offering your printing help! You're the man among... women

Eeek, slots are filling up fast! I'm going to poke a few more members with a stick (Artkitty, Layil, Molly, step up!) and see if we can get one girl for each month. I was also thinking that for one month (or for January 2008) we could all collab and paint a group shot w/ self portraits... we could also make this a 15 month calendar if interest remains this strong!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    I agree a lil with Sve that girls shouldnt need to be promoted here, but it is soooo male dominated, that its kinda necessary to do this thing in order to get more girls involved with this environment.
    Agreed. Hell, it's the all femme T-Dome that's finally pulling me out of the shadows to become more active in the community here. Sadly, I would be the first to admit that I haven't posted much of worth since I signed up.

Melissa Renae
    Website // Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gryphon: I totally understand what you mean, someone else here had mentioned the vices of the "Gay Art" thread a while back. It's really touchy to use gender, orientation, skin color, etc. to define yourself or your artwork. My intent isn't to identify us as women before artists; it's to say "Hey! Look! There are artists here who are women!"

Really, I think Molly has a great point in that an all-girl collab can help the women here, who are the minority by far, to create something spiffy. And hey, if using the all-girl niche is a way to promote the women here, I'm all for it. Think bad-ass art slumber party

...Oh yeah.

Carnifex: You are quickly becoming that boy who climbs a tree to peek into the bedroom window of the bad-ass-art-no-boys-allowed slumber party - don't make us close the blinds and create a private thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorrysorry,i don't want to disturbe anyone,i'm out,sorry.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya,

I dont think that this calendar would serve the sole purpose of just promoting the female talent in this community. I dont think that the female talent here NEEDS to be promoted either.. there are a lot of women here who easily can keep up with the "big males" (in fact, I'm very surprised that there are so many).

But see it this way: as a male I appreciate an insight into the female psyche. this calendar could answer some questions about how women think in terms of how they see the perfect woman (thats what pinups are: renditions of beautiful, perfect human beings) or (in a deeper psychiological manner) how they wish to look like...

as I already mentioned in the other thread, this could turn out to be a nicely executed "soulstrip" of some of the female members here. Who knows.. some entries could be reditions of tattoed skinhead chicks or something.

dont do it just to please the eyes of the male members here, do it to let them see through YOUR eyes... maybe that will answer some of the questions men have asked themselves about women for AGES.

again, my 2 cents...

Cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I made a girls only club and a girls only forum. I dont know how tight-nit the girl community of this forum is, but it is there if you need to use it privately.(only admins can see).

I added all the girls listed in this thread and cookiedough.

if someone could pm me who else i should add it would be less work for me.

Last edited by davi; March 22nd, 2006 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *watches carnifex fall from the tree* awsome to see this get off the ground ladies - can't wait to see the result!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VirusArtist. I like your post a lot, it makes a lot of sense for me, thank you for sharing this thought with me. I agree, you have a point. It will carry some information about how some women in this community think. Maybe it will be be interesting to know, or maybe not so interesting.
    Still think the same though, art should be judged just on its artistic merits, without any artificial ones ( political or social).
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh geez, this isn't friggin' affirmative action! These girls just wanna have fun - without guys, I don't know how this sexism mumbo jumbo got around.

Any chance of a lesbian calendar seeing the light?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that's a nice way to argument your point. Let's go to personal insults. How not interesting it is.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    We got two things involved here...hormones and brain cells. Any time sex in any form rears its head, the hormone switch kicks on. So far, what I'm seeing is nice...and a bit unexpected, considering the average age here...an intelligent and fun reaction to an idea that could have been a disaster in a lot of other forums.

Girls (may I call you girls without offending--I come from the Ballet world and GIRLS do, LADIES hang on arms and donate money), I think this is an incredible idea. I don't think anything you do with this idea could be sexist or exclusionary in any way.

Girls think different than boys. (lets not start a massive arguement here--you all understand what I mean) At my age, I've gone through just about every phase of perception of the opposite gender that exists, and I'd love to see what happens here. Girls see themselves differently than boys see them. And the difference, no matter how subtle or blatent in individual cases, can be enlightening to all of us. Go for it!

Jason, Davi, and all the girls involved...don't put any extreme restrictions in in advance, or overthink this too much. Just let it happen. We're all adults (OKAY---I'm trying to be polite here...just bear with me!) and we know when something's inappropriate, so self-censorship should be a presumed given.

If it works, the idea of a calendar/whatever that can actually help support this rathole is an added bonus. We can do a number of them over time that include only the guys, EVERYBODY, the old farts, the young farts, the brain-dead, whatever...all on different subjects.

My only suggestion would be to give this some time to come about. We have people who sit around and throw darts at cats all day because they don't earn a living any more, kids in school (with homework and tests to worry about), and all you poor bastards out there who have no life because you have to put up with middle management incompetence), so allow enough time for everybody to get their acts together without feeling pressured.

...and lets save the Chicks-with-Dicks calendar idea for later--I've got WalMart almost ready to bite, and I don't wanna scare 'em off...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got a point, Ilaekae.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaeke: Pearls of wisdom once again. Damn you.

Alright, perhaps the calendar should be more open-ended. Like Virus said, I didn't intend to make this calendar just to cater to the male perspective of women; it was supposed to be by women, about women.

If some of the girls here feel that topic is too stuffy, we can talk about it more in these secret forums... Davi, how do I find it...? :/ I'll still probably take the girlie art route with my own month, same as a few other ladies I think, but I don't want to take the fun out of this for the folks involved. I also would like for there to be some sort of cohesion with the subject matter though.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.