Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Arco's sketchbook (update august 17/18 - about time!!!)

Thanks

Arco's sketchbook (update august 17/18 - about time!!!)

After lurking around for quite some time, I figured it was about time to register and start posting some of my drawings.
    First of all a study I made last weekend of a drawing by Leonardo

Arco's sketchbook  (update august 17/18 - about time!!!)

These are a few drawings from my sketchbook with studies after Bridgman

This is all for the moment. The quality of the scans differs a bit, but I'm trying to figure out what the best options are for scanning drawings....

Comment & critic always welcome...
    Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by ArcoNL; August 17th, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    These look like some good studies, but parts of your hands seem too pronounced, try to make some of those details (bumps and imperfections in the hands, etc.) more subtle, and they may look better overall. Now just do pages and pages of them untill you have everything internalized, and try to throw in a few pictures utilizing your newfound knowledge. If you decide to go down the pages and pages path though, throw in some random stuff every now and then also, otherwise you may forget about that Put up some stuff from your imagination, or from reference also if you can.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Sepulverture: thanks. You're absolutely right, they are too pronounced. I already have been drawing pages and pages in which I tried all sorts of ways to shade. These are the first drawings of which I'm pleased with the shapes. In my defense I must say though that they look less 'hard' and more subtle in my sketchbook, scanning them didn't do them any justice.
    And about throwing random stuff in every now and then...: again, absolutely right. I have to work on that. As soon as I try, I sort of seize up and it doesn't really flow. But I'll keep working on it. Thanks!
    My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Wow - I absolutely love your style - it's the sort of style i'd like to attain myself.

Sepulvulture is right about the hands from a technical standpoint. This does, however, not mean that you absolutely have to draw them correctly.

For instance - i started out drawing an extra muscle on the shin, and then realised it was incorrect - but i still use that muscle in muscular characters. Just because something is anatomically wrong doesn't mean it's unacceptable.
    You should get the anatomy right - yes - but i wouldn't totally abort these designs. If you take them a bit further they can start getting really good.

If i were you i'd design a creature or race specifically for those hands of yours.

Love your style - please post more!

- d.

Thanks
    <I like the first thing ALOT.

Keep up the good work, it's a great start to a sketchbook.

I can't tell if you are only copying the bridgman's hands or if you are applying his principles... if only the former, then try applying what you learned to drawing from life. See the outcome!

Thanks
    Studying Leonardo is one of the best things you can do.

Also try Velazquez, Caravaggio, Bouguereau, and Ingres, to name a few.

Thanks
    Demented: Thanks! I try to draw as anatomically correct as I can at the moment, but I sometimes go a little overboard on the shading part.

Pixeldragoon: Thank you. I tend to copy too much instead of learning from someone or some book. When for instance I make a study after a drawing, I also tend to imitate the shading style instead of being myself. To correct that I'm now make studies after paintings instead of drawing, so I can't fall in that trap again...

Orozc0: Thanks! Velazquez and Caravaggio are definately on my list (In a few weeks time I even go to a Rembrandt - Caravaggio exhibition). But right now I', working from my humongous Leonardo book, containing all of his painting and every drawing that he ever made. Only downside is the size and weight of the book, you sort of need a seperate table for it....(larger than A3 and weighs more than 10 kg's).
    My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 766 Posts
    Great studies
    The hands are looking a bit wierd but cool at the same time.Your shading impressed me.
    Post more.

Thanks
    bhanu: Thanks. Will definately post more probably after I made a few more. I have tons of old drawings, but I think nobody wants to see that old crap...
    My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    hey thanks for commenting in my book. nice studies! lookin real good. i like your shading technique too. is that graphite powder or just smudging with a tissue or something? that's a huge book! wow. love to see some more stuff. later.
    my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Cool man, this is a great approach to learning. I'm jealous that you're gonna get to see a Rembrandt exhibit! That guy is the master of teaching just how important a light source can be. Keep these up!

Thanks
    Pennington: Thanks! I try never to smudge, but with some studies I put some graphite powder on paper and spread that around. Then I take a kneadable eraser (a small ball) and roll it softly around. This creates little trails and cloud forms, which I then enhance a bit with a 2B pencil. You can easily pull out highlights with that eraser, and you already have a middle tone. It has one drawback though: it's very messy. Hands and desk are slowly turning shiny black. On the other hand I emphesize too much on shading and not enough on shapes. So I'm gonna try to not do this for a while and just concentrate on drawing shapes and gestures...

Andy P: Thank you. This year it's Rembrandt year here in the Netherlands (he was born 400 years ago this year). So lots of museums have Rembrandt exhibitions. I've been to the Rijksmuseum, they showed all their Rembrandt paintings, as well as their paintings of his pupils, but also Vermeer, Frans Hals and Jan Steen. Furthermore I've been to Boymans museum in Rotterdam. They were having an exhibition of all their Rembrandt drawings, as well as lots of drawings of his pupils and from his atelier. Just unbelievable....

Two new drawings:

Sort of happy with the left arm, but less so with the one on the right. The hand I started at the bottom was such an emberassment.....

A study of the neck muscles....
    My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Wow, these are great studies. Man, i gotta get off my arse do these type of things...

One thing that does bother me a bit: If i were you i'd scale down a little bit on the grey in the backgrounds. Look good, but make it lighter - that way you can get good contrast in your pictures.

And yes, i'm also extremely jealous of the Rembrant exhibition thing. They had picasso earlier this year in S.A., but I really dislike abstract art - really dislike it.

Great work, excellent studies. Keep it up.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast