Sketchbook: Arco's sketchbook (update august 17/18 - about time!!!)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arco's sketchbook (update august 17/18 - about time!!!)

After lurking around for quite some time, I figured it was about time to register and start posting some of my drawings.
    First of all a study I made last weekend of a drawing by Leonardo

Arco's sketchbook  (update august 17/18 - about time!!!)

These are a few drawings from my sketchbook with studies after Bridgman

This is all for the moment. The quality of the scans differs a bit, but I'm trying to figure out what the best options are for scanning drawings....

Comment & critic always welcome...
    Thanks for looking!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ArcoNL; August 17th, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These look like some good studies, but parts of your hands seem too pronounced, try to make some of those details (bumps and imperfections in the hands, etc.) more subtle, and they may look better overall. Now just do pages and pages of them untill you have everything internalized, and try to throw in a few pictures utilizing your newfound knowledge. If you decide to go down the pages and pages path though, throw in some random stuff every now and then also, otherwise you may forget about that Put up some stuff from your imagination, or from reference also if you can.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sepulverture: thanks. You're absolutely right, they are too pronounced. I already have been drawing pages and pages in which I tried all sorts of ways to shade. These are the first drawings of which I'm pleased with the shapes. In my defense I must say though that they look less 'hard' and more subtle in my sketchbook, scanning them didn't do them any justice.
    And about throwing random stuff in every now and then...: again, absolutely right. I have to work on that. As soon as I try, I sort of seize up and it doesn't really flow. But I'll keep working on it. Thanks!

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow - I absolutely love your style - it's the sort of style i'd like to attain myself.

Sepulvulture is right about the hands from a technical standpoint. This does, however, not mean that you absolutely have to draw them correctly.

For instance - i started out drawing an extra muscle on the shin, and then realised it was incorrect - but i still use that muscle in muscular characters. Just because something is anatomically wrong doesn't mean it's unacceptable.
    You should get the anatomy right - yes - but i wouldn't totally abort these designs. If you take them a bit further they can start getting really good.

If i were you i'd design a creature or race specifically for those hands of yours.

Love your style - please post more!

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <I like the first thing ALOT.

Keep up the good work, it's a great start to a sketchbook.

I can't tell if you are only copying the bridgman's hands or if you are applying his principles... if only the former, then try applying what you learned to drawing from life. See the outcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studying Leonardo is one of the best things you can do.

Also try Velazquez, Caravaggio, Bouguereau, and Ingres, to name a few.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Demented: Thanks! I try to draw as anatomically correct as I can at the moment, but I sometimes go a little overboard on the shading part.

Pixeldragoon: Thank you. I tend to copy too much instead of learning from someone or some book. When for instance I make a study after a drawing, I also tend to imitate the shading style instead of being myself. To correct that I'm now make studies after paintings instead of drawing, so I can't fall in that trap again...

Orozc0: Thanks! Velazquez and Caravaggio are definately on my list (In a few weeks time I even go to a Rembrandt - Caravaggio exhibition). But right now I', working from my humongous Leonardo book, containing all of his painting and every drawing that he ever made. Only downside is the size and weight of the book, you sort of need a seperate table for it....(larger than A3 and weighs more than 10 kg's).

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies
    The hands are looking a bit wierd but cool at the same time.Your shading impressed me.
    Post more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bhanu: Thanks. Will definately post more probably after I made a few more. I have tons of old drawings, but I think nobody wants to see that old crap...

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for commenting in my book. nice studies! lookin real good. i like your shading technique too. is that graphite powder or just smudging with a tissue or something? that's a huge book! wow. love to see some more stuff. later.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool man, this is a great approach to learning. I'm jealous that you're gonna get to see a Rembrandt exhibit! That guy is the master of teaching just how important a light source can be. Keep these up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pennington: Thanks! I try never to smudge, but with some studies I put some graphite powder on paper and spread that around. Then I take a kneadable eraser (a small ball) and roll it softly around. This creates little trails and cloud forms, which I then enhance a bit with a 2B pencil. You can easily pull out highlights with that eraser, and you already have a middle tone. It has one drawback though: it's very messy. Hands and desk are slowly turning shiny black. On the other hand I emphesize too much on shading and not enough on shapes. So I'm gonna try to not do this for a while and just concentrate on drawing shapes and gestures...

Andy P: Thank you. This year it's Rembrandt year here in the Netherlands (he was born 400 years ago this year). So lots of museums have Rembrandt exhibitions. I've been to the Rijksmuseum, they showed all their Rembrandt paintings, as well as their paintings of his pupils, but also Vermeer, Frans Hals and Jan Steen. Furthermore I've been to Boymans museum in Rotterdam. They were having an exhibition of all their Rembrandt drawings, as well as lots of drawings of his pupils and from his atelier. Just unbelievable....

Two new drawings:

Sort of happy with the left arm, but less so with the one on the right. The hand I started at the bottom was such an emberassment.....

A study of the neck muscles....

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, these are great studies. Man, i gotta get off my arse do these type of things...

One thing that does bother me a bit: If i were you i'd scale down a little bit on the grey in the backgrounds. Look good, but make it lighter - that way you can get good contrast in your pictures.

And yes, i'm also extremely jealous of the Rembrant exhibition thing. They had picasso earlier this year in S.A., but I really dislike abstract art - really dislike it.

Great work, excellent studies. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Demented Thanks for stopping by. You're sort of right concerning about the background. As I said in an earlier post, I will try to cut out a bit on that and start concentrating on shapes more than on shading.

Up until now, I always fall in the render & detailling trap. Apparently some part of me wants to be the Uber Render Meister or something. Just to show you, this is what I was doing a little more than a year ago. The drawing shown here is not finished yet, there's no shadow of the watch on the background. The drawing is a little further than shown here, but I will never finish this. I decided for myself that drawing photo's, however impressive and skilfull, is not the way for me to go:

Cheers, and thanks for looking!

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, Arco!

Wow: all your drawings, even this last one, are so inspirational.

Yeah - the grey thing is more personal than anything else. I'm obsessed with getting tremendous contrast into my pictures. like i said, don't abort it: it definitely adds to your style!

You're right about the photos, but you should try and draw the same thing from life, or similar object. It's great practice, and it will increase your drawing capabilities even more, and you definitely have the capability to tackle something difficult like glass or rusted iron, judging from this last one.

Otherwise, just post more!
    and more...

now
    ,please

Wonderful job, keep it up!

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by demented
    Yo, Arco!

Wow: all your drawings, even this last one, are so inspirational.

Yeah - the grey thing is more personal than anything else. I'm obsessed with getting tremendous contrast into my pictures. like i said, don't abort it: it definitely adds to your style!

You're right about the photos, but you should try and draw the same thing from life, or similar object. It's great practice, and it will increase your drawing capabilities even more, and you definitely have the capability to tackle something difficult like glass or rusted iron, judging from this last one.

Otherwise, just post more!
    and more...

now
    ,please

Wonderful job, keep it up!

- d.
    Thanks man, much appreciated!
    The watch thingy was drawn from life btw. That's the old pocketwatch of my grandfather, who died in '75. What I meant was drawing **like** a photo. I have always been inspired by hyper realism, trying to draw as photo-like as possible. But nowadays, although I still admire the skills, I'm fed up with this. What I really want is to draw loosely, more intuitive, and do more with the myriad of ideas that run around in my head. I'm very much attracted to the 'train of thought' kind of sketchbooks that you see here on this forum.
    But for me that's a hard thing to do, all those thoughts in my head, but when I sit down to draw I freeze up, don't know what to draw.
    But: I will learn this.

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooohh ... sorry man, totally misunderstood. my drawing lecturer misunderstood me in exactly the same way!

Sorry man ... I know what you mean now and I have set myself almost the same goal. i must, however, first do more life studies before i can confidently start drawing like that - and i also tend to carry on with something loooong after it's finished - i have to get rid of that.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, man. Can't wait to some more drawings with your new approach!

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That left arm is really nice - good stuff keep posting. I dig the loose sketchy stuff you have here - the hands, the arms - the study-type work. I have to agree about the photos as well. I tend to work with models, then photograph to reference pose and placement and lighting when one needs to reset the subject.

Looking forward to seeing more from you!

(Thanks for the note on the burning angel also.)

Daniel Govar
    www.danielgovar.com | www.thereandbackagain.net | zudacomics.com/azure
    "where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?" - Anonymous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DementedUpdate follows after the weekend. Busy working on something right now....

saulone: Thanks for stopping by! Will try to keep things loose and sketchy.

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Result of my doodling this weekend. Started out nice, messed up the background, got bored with it. Please feel free to leave a comment...

Cheers,

Arco

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ArcoNL, you've got some good work going on in here. Good start with the Leonardo study; the work with the graphite/kneaded technique seems to be the strongest. Should try that out myself sometime. This last piece is interesting, always thought the human spine was creepy looking. But next to those snowmen and it's not so much. Keep it up, we'll be watching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Zord! I will definately continue with the graphite/eraser technique, even though my hands, clothes and desk slowly turn shiny black.
    The 'snowman' are little figures I named after the three quarks: 'up', 'down' and 'strange'. They need a little more work though, they aren't too good at the moment. I rushed too much, and was a little bored with this drawing, mainly because my shading still sucks big time....

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your shading doesn't stink. i think its great! i wish i understood light better. and your arms are really cool so is the spine. that'd take me forever. i've got major ADD. lack of focus. later!

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pennington
    your shading doesn't stink. i think its great! i wish i understood light better. and your arms are really cool so is the spine. that'd take me forever. i've got major ADD. lack of focus. later!
    Thanks man! Encouragement like this always helps
    I'm really not too happy with my shading, because I still use solid shading, and I desperately want to learn hatching and cross hatching. I keep on practicing, but it always looks ugly and not at all like the beautifully hatched drawings I see everywhere on this forum. There are a few things I still don't seem to do right. I'm probably not using the right pencil, and not keeping the point sharp enough. But from now on I will try to do only hatched drawings for a while...

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tha's the most in depth neck muscle rendering I've seen, and the watch and arms are pretty amazing. dive into the hatching, I think it'll suit you nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cordy: Thanks! I'm very hard trying to learn hatching, but it's hard.

A few sketches.
    First I thought to concentrate on lines alone, so why not try pen? Well, I was pretty tired and unfocussed this evening:

Next I tried to find out what pencil to use for hatching, and tried a few hands. Didn't quite succeed. Only the hand bottom right seems reasonable...

Then I thought: I have to loosen up and concentrate on lines and shapes:

This last sketch was done in a few minutes and I'm pleased with it's looseness. I couldn't resist trying to shade the blasted thing

Cheers,
    Arco

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Arco, what up? Nice SB man, dig in your renderings! The Leonardo study and the clock look great. Dont go in too much detail all the time, master perspective and proportions first, and then get into shading. I dont mean you quit what you are doing now, but focus on those things too. For example, make some speed drawings or some gesture sketches, if you see what I mean?

Keep it up!

Each one, teach one. P e a c e

VS

Check out My Sketchbook

Latin & Spanish Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks JTheAnswer. You are absolutely right. I invariably go into too much detail. Lines and shapes are what I must do now, and keep away from rendering for a while. My last post sounded a bit depressive, but I'm feeling I'm not making enough progress...maybe it's time for me to get of my lazy ass and start drawing and drawing and drawing.....and not be so afraid to make mistakes!

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you go into too much detail and render work, maybe you should try some quick figures / heads from life. ride a train or go to the parc. take one or two minutes per sketch, great practice. especially if you do it with pen.

i do like your sketches, but it would suck if you feel your stuck.
    keep it up man.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your shading has so much strength in it,
    Man can you give me some quick tips for beginners in shading.Your studies also look intense.Can you show more of your finished stuff.
    Much love.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.