progress of the face
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: progress of the face

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

progress of the face

i have only posted in finally finished one before and im not sure if this really fits here, but i would appreciate some feed back if possible.
    ok i am a first year student at the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Degign (MIAD) and in the drawing classes i have been taking since i got here we have been doing several self portraits a semester. this is the progression of my portraits from when i got here to now. the last one is from just a week ago. it was for a mid term exam, and is the most accurate to how i look. i have been working really hard at perfecting the portrait and would love as much crit as people can give me on how to improve for next time.
    these range from 1 to 4 hours of work, and in size from 18x24- 20x32.

check it out.. help me out... shout it out... MY SKETCHBOOK!!
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ens+sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well your progress is very good thus far. I see alot of improvement from your first piece until your most recent work. Something to look out for is the placement and size of the eyes. The eyes look too large in all the images and they seem spaced a bit far apart on the head. My suggestion is take a picture of your subject matter and then do a few tracings of it, simple ol' tracing paper will do if you dont have a light table. In this case tracing is not wimping out, its just for the purposes of acquainting yourself with the persons face. Once you do that then try to go back and draw the person from sight alone. Placement of facial features is crucial to successful portraiture, nail that down and the rest will follow in time. Keep it up and dont ever stop practicing, ever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eyes are really important, they're what stands out...they have no depth to them and you're sort of forgetting the shadow under the top lid sometimes. i would practice drawing eyes, there are a TON of references in the ref section here at CA. also watch the size of the nose, it varies greatly.

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the help guys. i have always had trouble with placement of my own eyes.. they always look wrong to me when they look right to other people. but ill keep working on it. and they eyes themselves, i usually am very detailed with (as you can see in my avatar) but the lighting in the room where i did this was very low and there really wasnt much that i could see there. i could put more shadow in the whites and give them more demention though. thanks again

check it out.. help me out... shout it out... MY SKETCHBOOK!!
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ens+sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your defenatley improving. If you are having trouble with eye placment, you may want to consider using the eye as a starting point of your picture. you can then use the eye as a "unit of mesurment" to figure out the rest of the facial proprtions (ie, the nose is x eye lengths)

"The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain,
    for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
    Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-a-vis an introduction,
    and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.