Thanks

buying new computer and art tablet HELP

i have been doing traditional linework and painting for a good number of years now and i wanted to start going digital for painting. in a couple of months im going to get a computer system and wacom tablet also some good programs . i will have a decent amount of money saved up so i can get a good system but i would appreciate input on mostly a good wacom tablet and perhaps any suggestion about the computer itself. i have been looking at the cintaq? series i believe, from wacom i wonder if anyone has one or used one before i drop alot of money to get what i dont want lol

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I got a wacom about 2 years ago, and it doesnt work too well anymore. The mouse it came with atleast, gives me a whole lotta issues. The pen itself works fine though. Dunno If that helps any. I bought a new laptop recently too, my biggest advice would be the get a warranty no matter what you buy.

Thanks
    Ummm i love my wacom its the best investment i ever made, nothing has gone wrong with it, yes the mouse is unusable but who the hell cares when you have the pen. May i suggest an intuos three, its at a pro level and the bigger the better ofcourse ive never used a cintique but i heard they are tight as hell, and equally freakin exspensive.

Oh and before anyone launches into a puter discussion you a windows or mac kinda guy? jes so people cant point you the right way according to your preferences, also laptop or desktop?
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    im gonna go pc and thanks for letting me know its cintique , the one i was looking at was about 2700 and u could draw right on screen i wonder if anyone has any thoughts about drawing directly on screen as compared to the more traditional tablet
    Last edited by sez; March 21st, 2006 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks
    also any info on a good scanner would be nice

Thanks
    .. We need a permanant sticky post that breaks down all the diffrent tablet wit their prose and cons. This is a hot topic and has been for the past 2 years at least.

Tablet wise, I've heard nothing but good things about wacoms. I've yet to get my hands on one though. They don't sell them at Staples and I have yet to find time to check anywhere else...

Thanks
    I have a first version Intous 6x8 (the one without a mouse) for..5 yrs? 6? and this baby has never, ever broken down. Absolute best hardware I've ever bought. I'd say Intous is the best for price and quality, size depends on your stroke. I know most here like 9x12, my 6x8 is perfect for me, and the 4x6 gives me hand cramps.

If you're going for a PC, the market is limitless. Ideally, you should build your own box, but not everyone is that tech-savvy I guess. Cheap package deals are meant for casual home users and are not going to put out the speed and space you need. However, if you buy one that has room in the tower to grow...all you have to do is buy some supplemental parts. If this is not an option either, then the PC you need is not going to be cheap. :/

Scanners....depends on the size you need. Two scanners broke down on me (one an Epson) before I picked up a lovely HP. In fact, all my HP equipment (printer, camera) has never broken down and surprises me with quality.

(Keng: You can't buy Wacoms in stores. You have to order them.)

Thanks
    I live with a wacom 6 x 8, saves my hands (hate mice). I am a total MAC person. Love the X OS. I just bought a G5 quad. Am now doing video art and more.

~M