Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hi Andy, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. It looks like you are doing all the right exercises. Maybe you could work more from reference pics, and try to recognize (and apply) the elements from your anatomy studies. Keep on going.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Bartovan cheers for stopping by, Ill try that.

Lips and nose studies are from Lee Hammonds big book of drawing, a Hogarth brow ridge study and some president ref drawings. (The presidents were already drawings not photos)

Nicho's Sketchbook
    Nicho's Sketchbook
    Nicho's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Ok, been missing for long enough now.
    First image is from way back in Dec 06, never got round to scanning it in. Second one is playing around with my new wacom (graphire) in Open Canvas. Hope to be posting more soon. Now how does this attachment thing work?

Attachment 154253

Attachment 154254
    Last edited by Andy Nicho; June 16th, 2007 at 07:59 AM. Reason: trying attachment

Thanks
    Just a quick skull study from Anatomy for the artist in OC.

Thanks
    Had a go using ref, what more can I say?

Thanks
    Using ref from Lee Hammonds book. Need to get a grasp of shading, shapes and hair.

Thanks
    Wow dude, very nice eye work , i could never do something like that

Thanks
    Replica Thanks for your kind words, and yes you can if you keep drawing.

Nothing much to show for this weekend. I stumbled across Bobby Chiu's vids, hes a funny guy, so ive been watching them all weekend. Hopefully I might learn something from them.
    Last edited by Andy Nicho; June 25th, 2007 at 05:31 AM. Reason: reply to replica

Thanks
    Just doing some quick plates whilst watching Riven Phoenix vids on youtube.

Thanks
    Just some quick doodling tonight. Can not do hair?

Thanks
    More doodles from today and a ref pic with no hair. Its supposed to be H Potter, I forget his real name.

Thanks
    Im gonna try and work through Drawing the Human Head by Burne Hogarth, had the books for a while now and never really got stuck into them. Time to get of my ass I think.

Hogarth heads and a RP head plate. Then a self portrait in OC.
    Last edited by Andy Nicho; July 4th, 2007 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added self portrait

Thanks
    Thanks for posting in my SB, and sorry it took me so long to reply!
    Nice studies here. I can't really crit much on those, but I might be able to help with the self portrait.
    The first thing that jumps out at me is the eyes are quite large. They are also in the general "football" shape. Although the eye is close to this shape, it is slightly different because it curves around the eyeball instead of sitting flat. Another thing to work on is that it is a very grey value scale. Don't be afraid to make the darks really dark and the lights really light (although not quite pure black or white.) If you can, try and get just one, strong lightsource for your selfportraits. This will help with both the contrast and the forms. Also, memorize those Loomis facial proportions. You won't always need them (and it's way too much to actually block out every time), but if you get in a bind you can say "Yes, that eye is too big because the distance between eyes is generally one eye wide etc.."

Hope this helps in some way and isn't just a pile of crap. Well, keep it up!
    Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Hey there, thanks for posting in my sketchbook, thought I'd return the favor. I saw you did some perspective studies, those are time well spent. Hope you keep up with them, I believe they are far more important than anatomy studies.

Nice and clean work on the heads, Cup of Joe gave you some good advise on those. You could try to copy a master drawing, there are plenty of things to be learnt from the old dudes. And it's fun, too. Keep it up...

Thanks
    Cup of Joe Thanks for the kind words, I know what you mean about the eyes, just a couple of posts back I drew a skull and marked out five eyes wide, yet when I painted that SP I didnt follow the guidlines, I didnt think about it? As for light and dark, Im not totally confident with digital painting yet, your right though it is a very grey value.

Taxman Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah I'll keep up with the perspective stuff, really struggling with that when it comes to un-uniform surfaces. Although Im just gonna start with some anatomy stuff also.

Thanks again for the crits

Happy Birthday to me! 35 today. Ah well as I just mentioned to Taxman Im gonna start working through The Structure Of Man by Riven Phoenix (5 DVDS), I've been trying to get to grips with the hogarth books and I cant, so I thought Id try these instead.
    Having watched the first few vids on youtube, I kinda like that way of learning, so I ordered the rest and they have just arrived.

Images below are a Hogarth skull study and the first few RP lessons. Hope he doesnt mind me posting what Ive drawn.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast