Thanks

Standing's Portfolio Site 2.0

Dear All,
    Bit nervous to post this after reading complete2's post 'wtf' - I think I have seen people ask for feedback on their portfolio websites here, so I'll chance it but if my ettiquette is bad, please don't bollock me too hard.
    I have just uploaded my re-jigged website - I made it myself in ImageReady - my web design skills being basically non-existant! I've since figured out how to use slices more efficiently, so I'll change the (awful) way that the pages load and I'll figure out how to make the links page work properly as soon as I can, but if anyone wants to chime in and let me know what they think of the design/content, I'd be much obliged.
    http://www.jonathanstanding.com/
    Cheers,
    Jonathan
    Last edited by Standing; March 24th, 2006 at 09:47 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jonathan

www.jonathanstanding.com

See the sights!
    Check out environment of the week - it's top!
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Jonathan,

I poked around your site and everything worked and navigated well until I got to your storyboards. Unlike your other thumbnails in your other sections which opened a larger version of the work, the first storyboard thumbnail I clicked on downloaded a pdf. Aside from the inconsistency from your other section, I think it's just a bad idea to make visitors download any of your content to their hard drive to view it. The one exception to this rule would be your resume.

That's just my opinion.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanks Mark,
    I'll bear in mind what you said about the storyboard files - their layout doesn't lend itself too well to the format of my site, but I guess people don't want to be saving strange files to their computer and so might be leery about looking at my boards.
    Thanks again,
    Cheers,
    Jonathan

www.jonathanstanding.com

See the sights!

Thanks
    Hello, Standing. I have to say your art is gorgeous in the execution and variety. My general impression from your site was that the artist loves what he does, has great universal skills, capable to work a lot, has a great work ethics ( so many well though-out artwork, with so much love and work hours in it and a beauty). I got a great respect to you looking at your body of work
    The illustration "Thief", The Butcher", "Steam Transport", "Demon", "Seige", "Servitor Demon", "Gallee", "Megacity" are simply gorgeous. Looked at them with an admiration. I just wish they were colored, it seems that your color are nice, I wonder why you decided to do most of your illustration gray scale. They look very attractive anyway though, at least for me.

In concept art section, your battle angel. really striking image, loved it before and love it even more now. Tentacles, Store worker, hunter, all great.

Navigation was working fine, all links are alive, except your hero site goodbrush.com. Oh, actually, the links section is not working at all. OK.

Images were downloaded pretty fast, the stripes , the interlaced images were a little annoying personally for me, in the beginning . But it was very fast and after the pictures were cached on my computer everything work perfectly. Yeah, I know the images are big.

BTW, I like the images are big enough, optimum, actually, for me.

Nice to see section about you and your photo. Makes it more personal and memorable, in my opinion.

Everything is convenient and very right to the point.

The only note is the colors and fonts you used. I guess it's a matter of taste, but the main BG icolor s not very attractive looking, The title "Jonathan Standing Illustration", the style of it clashes, in my opinion, with the rest of the fonts (cartoon style against very strict ones in Menu). And it clashes with the style of your illustration,I think. But all this not very important.

After I got deep into the storyboard section it was no way to return to the main site, and this is very inconvenient.

Well, that's all I got.
    The art is great, very impressive and speed of images to appear is wonderful. That's the most important things. You are a wonderful artist.
    Last edited by sve; March 24th, 2006 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks

Many Thanks

Sve,
    Holy - thanks for the looong response - it looks like you put a lot of though into that so a massive thank you from me.
    Most of the illustration work is grayscale because that's what the client wanted. It's some of my most recent (and best) stuff, so that's why it takes pride of place. Glad you like my colour stuff too though.
    The loading of the images is well annoying, but I'm working on it.
    Thanks again for your input.
    Cheers,
    Jonathan

www.jonathanstanding.com

See the sights!