Sketchbook: devlyn's sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

devlyn's sketchbook

Hello everyone - need to start by saying that I've been visiting this site on a regular basis for quite some time and I am completely floored every time I visit. I've been attempting to draw for quite some time now, about a year and a half - but I'm 35 years old and thinking that maybe I just don't get it. One can look at an image and tell if whether or not the author 'gets it' or not. I certainly wouldn't mind a career in the field of concept design, but I'm beginning to doubt that it will ever happen - I'm feeling a bit defeated actually. I've been too timid to post anything up until now, as I figured I'd put in some time before deciding if whether or not something like this would be for me. But, nevertheless, I love to draw. I'll do it regardless as to how bad I suck. I'm posting my sketches over the last year or so, I never thought to really date the stuff consintently, so I'm not entirley sure of the chronology of the stuff. I will say that for every picture I post, there are about 5 or 6 pages of the same crap, I just got tired of scanning and formatting etc

I took an art class last summer, and while I love to draw, I found myself a bit dissapointed at spending 250 dollars to draw fruit from photos - something I could have done at home for free. I did enjoy drawing the fruit, but didn't find the course very helpful in the long run. I purchased about 10 Gnomon DVD's mostly Feng, Neville Page and Scott Robertson, Puddnhead and several others. I love the DVDs and find them extremely enlightening, but they make it look too easy. Like trying to learn to play classical guitar by watching videos of John Williams. Anyway, in no particular order (except for the last 4, which I drew in the last couple days after a brief 4 month stint of not touching any drawing equipment) here are some pictures. If anyone has any ideas on how I can improve my Uderstanding so that I can 'get it' please feel free.

Thanks

devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook

Last edited by Devlyn; March 28th, 2006 at 10:57 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More, etc

devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More...

devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've actually looked this far? Wow - thanks! BTW - you'll notice there isn't much in the way of bodies and stuff - well, I can't really draw a head right, so I don't see any point - nothing is worse to me than a badly drawn head...

devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some stuff from the last couple days at work and in the evening. We're moving, so the last week has been pretty hectic with packing and all. Interestingly enough, not a single comment here - not really sure how to take that. I know this stuff isn't very good, but at least a 'HEY - you need to study anatomy!!!' or 'What is with the ellipse posting?!?'

I know you all want to see some real stuff, but I guess I'm not up to that level. Anyway, I just got the Bob Kato head drawing DVD - I have also been trying to draw from life, but I don't get out very often with young kids and stuff. So while I'm out, I've been doing a lot of staring, trying to observe detail and make mental notes. You should see the expressions people make when they realize you're looking at them in a way that is more than casual.

After I move, I'm enrolling in a life drawing class at a local college - hoping that will help.

Here are some sketches, these are mostly heads and hands. I'm going to concentrate on heads and hands for the next couple weeks.

Please feel free to make a comment - I can take it

devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks to me like your being WAY to hard on yourself. You seem to have a good understanding of perspective and it looks like you are both practicing diligently as well as practicing the right stuff. Keep it up!

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances, he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world." - Snowcrash, Neal Stephenson

the trick is to maintain that feeling beyond 25.

don't get sucked into the youth-orientation hype! you're only "too old" when you're dead.

keep on practising on the basics, you're doing fine

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, if you keep going at this rate you'll be sure one of the big boys, pending on what you decide

I should take example of you, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys - thanks a lot for you comments! I've been checking out your sketch books - I really like what I see - I've been using all the sketchbooks and stuff here for inspiration to keep going. I'll post in your sketchbooks starting now - I just never really felt qualified to say anything other than 'Your stuff is great', 'Wow, that blows my mind', etc. Even though it is! I know the you guys here at CA aren't into the ego filling fluff you always see at DeviantArt - you guys here hold yourselves to a much higher standard - which is why it took me a year to finally to get the balls to post my stuff here in the first place.

Here are a few images from today - gotta figure out how to get the images to come out a little more clearly...

devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    where was I when you were posting in this thread?
    Must be smoking pot or something.Amazing studies ,I like what you write alongwith your drawings.Your pespective peices are your strongest here.
    Keep us updated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kool stuff. keep up those studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bhanu - thanks for the comments. I'll definately keep working on the studies. I just can't wait to actually be able to use this stuff in a practical way.

Orozc0 - Thanks! I will definatley keep working on the studies!

Well, I'd post some stuff tonite, but we're moving tomorrow and the day after and my scanner is packed up. I also won't have internet access till at least Monday.

I'll see you all then!!

-d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got all moved in - real beat and have nowhere to do anything yet.

Here is what I managed to get done, but I didn't really feel like drawing - I think I was too tired. Hopefully, I won't have too much to deal with tonite and can get some good practice in...

The thing I think I really need a lot of work in is hands - they seem to be giving me more difficulty than they really should...

devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies!
    keep your stuff a bit more simple, like drawing more STRAIGHT lines! and when you draw them, try to keep the proportions correctly and dont draw the lines too sleazy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can definately try that!

So you think that part of my trouble with drawing hands is that I need to draw more straight lines? Cool - I'll give it a try!

Also - I'll try to keep my lines less sleazy! I do notice that sometimes with some drawings at some point I lose control - I can feel this happening and then the lines get sleazy and I start that 'line petting' - the fetal position of drawing technique - what types of exersizes can I do to learn to get control and avoid 'line petting'?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to show this time around... C&C are definately welcome - so is advice...

Thanks

devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook
    devlyn's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been a while since posted - here is an update. I've been working off the Human Structure DVD set by Riven Pheonix, so most of these are really nothing more than studies from those lessons and a couple other DVDs I've bought. I've learned a good deal, though I know I have a good deal more to learn. I'm finally feeling like i'm in a bit more control of my drawings, especially with anatomy, the most interesting subject of all in my opinion.

Don't prepare to be dazzled or anything, feel free to crit or comment - either way, I'm still practicin.

BTW - sorry about the crappy scans - next time I'll post better quality scans.

Attached Images Attached Images                                                                                          
    Last edited by Devlyn; July 24th, 2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: To make excuses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This stuff rocks! If I were an artist, I would find these studies to be extremely helpful. They are very detailed. Keep it up!

BTW - Where's my damned tattoo?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Devlyn. Stoked to see how much your drawing has improved by the Structure of Man DVD's. I'm just going through those and exited how helpful they are! Good stuff here. I'm kinda in a same spot as you drawing wise. Didn't start drawing till I was 18 or so and now 7 years later I'm starting to find the right books, DVD's etc. to actually start improving.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yousa - thanks for the comments - your post prompts me to reply. I know that it's not the end all of drawing, etc, but I personally found it to be a worthwhile investment and really believe it helped me a great deal. It's really only an anatomy reference on DVD, I would say. I'm glad I'm not the only one here who thinks so!!

[reply]
    Sorry I haven't posted anything in a long time. I got kinda burned out and frustrated since I can't draw like Targete (just kidding).

But seriously, after about 2 months off, I'm getting back into the swing of it and am ready to start learning again. I will post some stuff soon.

Feori - the reason you didn't get your tattoo is because if my drawing sucks so bad that *I* wouldn't want it on my body. I definately don't want it on anyone elses!!!
    [/reply]

Last edited by Devlyn; February 29th, 2008 at 12:55 AM. Reason: remove slight exaggeration about time off from drawing.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.