Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Art Game Discussion and Anouncement Thread

Thanks

Art Game Discussion and Anouncement Thread

I have been wanting to help develop an art game of some sort to help motivate and assist artists to further their skills on a regular basis.
    And what better place to bring it to than these forums?

This thread is for general discussion and updates.

Official Wiki Page : http://www.conceptart.org/wiki/doku....:artgame:index
    Story Discussion : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64235
    Concept Design: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64238
    Last edited by sciboy; March 23rd, 2006 at 04:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It definately looks interesting, especially since nothing's happening with that adventure.conceptart.org thread (despite the awesome demo).
    Sketchbook support group #7
    Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Thanks
    Okey guys, i need your input, if i put a multiplayer user editable world at your disposal what levels and characters would you make?
    Throw out some art to display that and descriptions of what it is, what happens and how it works, i want to see your ideas and dreams so i can figure out what you guys would like out of this game system.
    Last edited by sciboy; March 20th, 2006 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks
    What kind of coregameplay are we talking? It seems like it's heading for a more sandbox thing now, no real gameplay exept the editing of the content, like a playable wiki?
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    You got the idea, really what i'm looking to do is produce tools and a sandbox so people can rapidly prototype games in a progressive and collaborative manner and easily distribute it to other users.
    But what i need to know now is what kind of content people would put into the sandbox so i can work out the technicalities, limitations and put one of the designs towards a tech demo.

First stage i'll be taking a simple concept and rapidly developing it while mapping out it's developmental requirements. (4 months)
    Second stage is to produce the tools to fill those requirements and streamline the process. (2-3 months)
    Third stage is to take another simple concept and put it to the test in a proper engine with the tools. Tweak, add more tools and polish. (2-3 months)
    Fourth stage is to implement the multiplayer connectivity and distribution system, metaserver and such. (1-2 month)
    Sixth stage is to get the community working on a few small projects concurrently and take all the feedback to work out solutions. And further streamline the development of the engine itself. (Wild guess, 6-8 months)
    Seventh stage is to extend the engine and open one large project to put it to the main test after which things will be finalised debugged and released in a public beta with its own site. (God knows)

That's off the top of my head, but i can be optimistic can't i? =)
    Last edited by sciboy; March 20th, 2006 at 09:51 AM.

Thanks
    Can't we just make a totally bitchin' side-scroller?
    Last edited by Number_6; March 20th, 2006 at 12:22 PM.
    Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Thanks
    We can, and that's why i want to see some concepts. =)
    Also those plans aren't set in stone, it's just a quick idea of the kind of work i'll need to do, and the kind of time it'll take to develop, chances are though i'll simplify it alot more, since after all i don't want to be working on this to that nearly 3 year estimate. =|

So ignore the other stages for now, we need concepts to rapidly prototype a simple game.
    And for all i know i may not end up doing a sandbox system, and put together a structured game requiring art to progress, i'm not developing this stuff for myself, i'm doing it to help this community so your input is extremely important.
    Last edited by sciboy; March 20th, 2006 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks
    Wow.. this is sounding pretty nuts already. My head is spinning with the details and it's hardley even begun.

Will the game have a theme of some sort? Fantasy? Sci-Fi? War? Mix it up and make it some sort of time/otherworldly traveling game so that all subject matter can be given a chance to shine? I know a lot of artists will enjoy doing something with guns over something with swords and vice versa.

I like the sound of multiplayer. That's what draws me into a game. Being able to play it with others. It keeps things intresting and unpredictable. Plus it's a lot more intresting to talk to another person than an NPC.

Thanks
    No theme yet, no nothing just yet, we need concepts for whatever the users would like to see in a game, you're more than welcome to throw in the concept for a otherworldly traveling game.

Thanks
    Ok. I see what your saying.

A thought about characters occurred to me. Looking at it from a stand point of how to judge readyness and programing, it's seems kinda rediculous but..

it'd be neat if we could draw our own characters. But we can't just draw it and be done, we have to start with the basics. Anatomy, shape, etc. So our character might start off as a stick figure. It will then go on to have a bit more flesh when the stick figures are comming along nicely (ok.. so stick figures are kinda hard to judge...). Basically it looks a bit more like a gesture. Work on the anatomy some more, etc.
    By the end it might be a fully coloured, shaded, and rendered character.

Once again.. programming and judging would be hell.. Maybe there would be tasks you had to complete in each form,. I dunno. It's a thought. Feel free to pretend it was never mentioned.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sciboy
    you're more than welcome to throw in the concept for a otherworldly traveling game.
    What if the game were a side-scrolling MMORPG akin to Maple Story, but with elements of Second Life. What if individual users could create characters and upload them to the server? They would then select movable joints on the characters body to create a skeleton system, and designate them as hands, arms etc. A simple scripting system could let users create their own animations for their characters. The same scripting system could let them create their own items, defining specific animations, actions, properties, etc. for the items. The creation of items (summoning magic?) would be restricted based on level, xp, money, etc, and would require you to complete quests to create more. At a specific point, a player could be allowed to create a zone within the game. They would create the zone in a graphics program, upload the image to the server, then outline areas to delineate platforms, doors, walls, etc. The player could also create their own monsters as well, similar to creating an avatar, but using pre-made or custom AI scripts. The overall plot could have something to do with a collapsing multiverse perhaps?

EDIT: Heh, wrote this while Keng made his post. What if players could also create NPCs and quests within their zone? The balance issues would need to be worked out, but I don't think it would be too hard. The only problem I can see with creating objects, characters etc, would be handling lighting in areas to make it look realistic. Maybe content-creators could mark areas that would be lit on their characters/objects depending on the light source's location, and that would be used by the game to create shadow. It'd look sort-of cell shaded.
    Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Thanks
    Ok, Number 6's character idea sounds much simpler than mine. I like it better.

It's likely it will be necessary to draw the character in multiple poses. I don't want to see any Runescape style fighting action in which the character stands around robotically and the arm goes up and down.

As for weapons, I don't care what they look like, it's a matter of how their strength will be determined. For that, a little money will have to be spent, and some tasks completed.

I like the magic idea though. It tends to be a good way to infuse items with power.

Wow.. this game could be a little genre confused. I kill you with my magically infused gun of science! You could also get silly with this. Have your starting weapon look like the most kick ass sword ever, and your final weapon be a board with a nail in it.

One of the biggest problems I see is to keep the player artistically involved throughout the process. Not just spending their time killing monsters. Not to mention that they are actually working on artistic skills and not just drawing smiley faces.

[/ramble]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    How about a ranking system for player created content, where a jury would give xp points based on artistic execution? (and maybe additional xp for interesting quests, puzzles or other design elements?)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast