Help choosing school
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help choosing school

My daughter has been accepted as a freshman this fall to Pratt, SVA, AI of Chicago, AI of Boston, MassArt and Ringling as a photography major. I was wondering if anyone here has any feeedback on any of these programs. I know its a personal decision, but any insights into these schools would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by art mom
    My daughter has been accepted as a freshman this fall to Pratt, SVA, AI of Chicago, AI of Boston, MassArt and Ringling as a photography major. I was wondering if anyone here has any feeedback on any of these programs. I know its a personal decision, but any insights into these schools would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Congrats on your daughter being accepted! It is a very personal choice for your daughter as to where she thinks she's going to fit in. A few things to ponder if you want to look at it from a pragmatic, if not practical point of view- see where each of the programs have placed their recent photo graduates. Take a look and see what's hanging in each of their photo departments- is the work impressive? Does it give your daughter something to shoot for? Where does she think she'll grow the most as an artist/ photographer? What about the technology aspect of photo? Do all of these schools have the latest in computers, software, printers and other peripherals AND are the instructors staying current with these treands?

One of the most understated things is how a school is helping their students go out and get work. Do they have an alumni base that helps recent graduates?? What connections do they have beyond their institution? Are they well connected in the real working world or are they insular and forget about the world after graduation? I know your daughter JUST got into college but I always try to advise people to look beyond that just because four years time flies by very quickly.

I know I probably didn't answer your question and probably threw more out there for you to ponder but I hope that these questions will help you folks narrow your decision making process. Again, congrats & good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can tell you a bit about Ringling's Photo major. It's a fine arts based major. It really focuses on the concept and the positioning of the subject. It's not photojournalism. Just bear that in mind when when you go to make the decision It's also quite new too. Hope that helps a bit.

Ringling has a great career services department though. They fight tooth and nail to get you a job. There's tons of opportunities for students too like job fairs and presentations throughout the year.

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to both of you. You both brought up some excellent points for her to consider, and I'll pass them on immediately.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to both of you. You both brought up some excellent points for her to consider, and I'll pass them on immediately.
    Good luck with it all! And kudos to you for being supportive of your daughter throughout all this. Personally she should be the one doing the legwork (after all it is her life!) instead of you but as long as she gets the info, I guess the ends will justify the means.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    One of the main issues facing her, outside of the programs themselves, is does she want to be spending time in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Boston, Chicago, or Sarasota?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything else being equal, she would love to be in Florida. But she is thinking beyond the next 4 years in terms of career opportunities including internships available during school, exposure to the art community and the industry, and to her, that means NY. In her mind she has narrowed it down to SVA and Pratt for that reason. After we go see them, she may change her mind and has kept her options open. The only school she declined was SCAD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Storyboard, I agree with you, but I think she is burned out from completing all the applications and doing 12 different portfolios, and also she goes to a tough boarding school and is trying to keep her 3.75 GPA so she can skip finals in the spring which is their incentive, so she is really busy studying. We are still waiting to hear from RISD and Museum School of Boston.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Everything else being equal, she would love to be in Florida. But she is thinking beyond the next 4 years in terms of career opportunities including internships available during school, exposure to the art community and the industry, and to her, that means NY. In her mind she has narrowed it down to SVA and Pratt for that reason. After we go see them, she may change her mind and has kept her options open. The only school she declined was SCAD.
    Well, if she wants to be in NY I'd say SVA, but I'm biased (went there, teach there).

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You went there and teach there? Obviously you must feel its an excellent school. What advantages do you think it has over Pratt and RISD for photography if you don't mind me asking?
    Thanks in advance!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.