trouble adding texture :/

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

trouble adding texture :/

hi, I've been dabbling in all areas of photoshop and I'm really trying hard to master the program. first I started with simple filter art, and moved into piecing images together and what not. Now I'm getting into digital painting.

as the title/subject of the thread states, i'm having trouble adding texture to what I'm drawing. the stuff I draw usually comes out looking like a balloon animal. I read most of the digital painting thread already in here, and while it gives clear instruction in color blending vs smudging it doesn't really say much about texturization (atleast I haven't come across it yet).

I've googled alot for some texture techniques but the only things that come up are some crappy grunge tutorials involving filters..

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try experimenting with some textural brushes. Do you know how to make a pattern/texture? Well, after laying down your base colors and blending, use a brush with an interesting texture to finish it up. Try setting the opacity down low, to around 20% and adding some flecks and flaws to the skin. Don Seegmiller has a great book called Digital Character Design and Painting, which I picked up the other day. Has a great section on using textures and patterns to liven up your paintings.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey, unfortunately textures and stuff aren't quick and easy to learn. You are at a stage where u want to learn painting, not photoshop. There's much more to painting than just learning some tools in photoshop. So think big and simple. Start drawing, learn values and colours. Do some still life paintings, figure studies and so on. good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my advice would be to not smooth your painting, let it be more choppy. the more you try to blend everything together, the more difficult it will be for you to create a texture feel.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.