Sketchbook: TD's better than his last crappy sketchbook sketchbook (warning: ocular necrosis)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TD's better than his last crappy sketchbook sketchbook (warning: ocular necrosis)

After some tongue lashing, I decided to break out of my cycle of acute laziness and restart my sketchbook.

Please give any and all crits you have no matter how minute, I'm only on the first few steps on the long and horrible journey of becoming a professional artist (and maybe one day setting foot on the proverbial "Mt. Olympus" that is MB), and any help would be very appreciated.

Pencil+chalk cow skull, water color background

TD's better than his last crappy sketchbook sketchbook (warning: ocular necrosis)

Pencil live model

Pencil same model

Pencil still life

110% original character from this fun contest

P.S. this crap got me into Ringling, so any college hopefuls take note as to what the absolute bottom rung of art accepted at the big time art schools is

Last edited by Thunder Doom; March 18th, 2006 at 11:49 AM.
    Sketchbook comment and I'll be your best friend.

Devart...meh...

RSAD class of 2011, yay.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm liking the cow skull

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that guy has a face for a wee wee XD! nice drawings. umm for the torso looks squarish. next time try drawing the rib cage first and drawing ur shapes around it. (if u want)

spare some help at my Sketchbook thanks! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The third picture made me laugh with the head covering his "parts" LOL xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...it's actually not that hard to get into Ringling. I got in myself, but decided not to because I didn't want to take on loans...especially considering that my parents refuse to cosign for me...so, I went to a state university. It's much cheaper, actually...

Anyway...I'll get to an actual critique. Firstly, I'm digging the cowskull, in terms of how you did the contours. However, I personally think that the shading on it is a tad bit hurried...as there's not much tone variation, and it's rather obvious where you made the pencil strokes. I'd recommend perhaps a wee bit more contrast, and perhaps smoothing out the shading some (or using corss hatching and hatching, if you don't like that smooth look.)

For the two involving the model, the anatomy looks spot on for the most part. (to me, anyway. I envy your ability to draw an ass...grr. The only beef I have with anatomy is that the right arm's elbow looks misplaced...as though his forearm was twisted around so that his arm bends backwards...), but I should state that it looks as though you added a little bit too much pressure on the contour lines, and once again, the shading looks hurried...(I understand that you had to work with a live model, but it's still something I think you could work on.) I have to say though, I'm enjoying that his junk is censored in the second drawing. (It looks like it should be a plz account on deviantart...and those things make me laugh, so yeah. Nice sense of humour you have there. )

Lastly, I'm going to comment that for the torso study, the shading is, one again, a tad bit sloppy...but, I like the form and anatomy you have in the sketches.

...anyway, that's my two cents there. Hopefully I didn't offend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I felt it was pretty shitty of someone to downplay the fact that you got into a college that they could not afford.
    More power to you, TD.

Keep working on your anatomy. It's not where you start, it's the work you put into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bahaha you're hilarious

The animal skeleton still life looks great. Also, that lifedrawing with the smiley in front of the dude's crotch is also nice - 'Professional naked guy'... hahaha

Your original chara is indeed quite fucking awesome. In all seriousness, yeah, i agree with what elklark said, make your shading neater, perhaps practicing to shade in large areas using the side of the graphite. Lookin' forward to see more from you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jcc For This Useful Post:

JiR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Figure drawings are a very good and important practise so you do well to do them. Drawing Skulptures is also a good way to practice your anatomy knowledge but much more important than knowing where the single muscels are is to understand the form. I did the mistake that i was trieng to copy anatomy pictures all the time but didnt really make much progress because i just messed up the proportions and the form all the time. So when you study the Human body you may do good just to start with stick figures and later add box shapes and so on. Another point is about your technique. When you do hatching make sure that you do single streight clean lines. This will make your drawing look much cleaner. Just keep the work up and start studieng from the very basics you ll see progress soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're off to a good start!

I agree with Matelo
    However, I think the way you shade your figure drawing is a bit messy.I think it'll look better if you started to making your shading cleaner.

Members who have read this thread: 7