IDW007: Airborne Tank, 20 person crew
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IDW007: Airborne Tank, 20 person crew

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

IDW007: Airborne Tank, 20 person crew

Topic: Airborne Tank, 20 person crew

Description: In 1988, The USSR commissioned their top Russian engineers to create two tanks that could take out a capital city's of france and poland. The tank was a behemoth of metal and firepower. The tank would be flown over a city and dropped within city limits-- The lone tank would have no back up and the sole mission of destroying all major political structures.

These tanks were never put into practice due to the fall of the USSR, but remain under control of Mother Russia to this day.

Your Job: Develop a tank that is possible to hold over 20 crewmen. The tank must be able to withstand a fall of at least 3km(1.9miles). The tank must have enough firepower to cause mass destruction.

Deadline: March 25th Midnightish

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, I got to an activity before the polls started! Maybe I can submit something now...

All I can say is, I pity the poor people inside. I think my tank is going to be made out of...unobtainium. Off to the drawing board!

ohjay's sketchbook

So here we are but no cigar
    idiots and electric guitars
    You're hiding, keep riding
    from acid to zen and back again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does "tank" imply caterpillars?

Edit: I think tracks is the word for what i meant.

Last edited by Friso; March 18th, 2006 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry I read the wrong date

Damm I can't think of anny thing nice..

Last edited by Kei-th; March 18th, 2006 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can it be a hovering tank?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ambidextros
    can it be a hovering tank?
    i assume it can if you can convince the viewer that the technology was in place back than to do it :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Excellent tank resource

Found this while searching tank stuff... a really great resource:

http://212.84.179.117/afv.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so this tank doesnt fly? it just drops? what would be large enough to carry a 20-person crew tank 2 miles above ground?

also, is the briefing fictional? it seems like there's a lot of things that dont make a whole lot of sense functionally once you really start to think about it... a tank that large, with no back-up would need extremely heavy back-up, loads of weaponry and ammunition, yet be light enough to be carried AND have some sort of way to not completely fall apart from a mile-high drop.. not to mention this is set in 1988, so the technology has to be already existent... eesh thats one hell of an assignment

Last edited by Main Loop; March 19th, 2006 at 03:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I think some people are confused. The tank itself doesnt fly or hover. It is dropped from an aircraft. Therefore it has to have a few things. The first is some kind of cushioning system to reduce the impact of it hitting the earth from hundreds of feet up. The second is really dense and impregnable armor, this thing is a lone fighter and it has no support, plus its expensive to produce so it cant be lost. The third is some kind of really powerful weaponry. The tank can hold 20 crewmen so its obviously large enough to hold multiple missle batteries, tank turrets, mounted gatling guns, etc. Also it has to be able to topple major structures. So I would concentrate on any weaponry good for razing buildings. Keep in mind that normal tank treads wont do for this thing, if its as large as it would have to be then it will need massive supporting treads. In addition it will need a huge engine, tons and tons of unstoppable tank doesnt just move itself. Thats about all I would make sure to worry about,.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well im trying to think of it as something that can hold up to scrutiny in the real world.. there's a lot you have to think about, maybe too much for it to be able to pull off realistically.. i'd really like to give it a go, but thats a hell of a lot to cover

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found a huge sorce of reference!

http://www.tanxheaven.com/referencepictures.htm

I know they are old but I think they could help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are communist russia era tanks. broken up into catagories to at least aid with visual style

http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?...mid=50&lang=en

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Assuming that the soviets actually did ask for something like this from their engineers at one time (I doubt it was ever built since 1988 was very very close to the end for the USSR), are you sure that the 20 people were crewmembers or was this a tank/apc and some of those people were demolitions/occupation personnel? I can't imagine needing 20 crewmembers for any non-naval military vehicle built after the 60s, no matter how many weapons and systems it has onboard.

-------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

M1A1 Abrams main battle tank. B.A

(j/k, this isn't a real entry)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this experimental tank had a crew of 12 and exhisted... so this isn't that far off guys... just work with it

http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?...mid=50&lang=en

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crazy Gliding Tanks

Gotta love the Russians, they actually tried this before. Granted it only worked sometimes but still, flying tanks!

As far as drop mechanisms go, actual large vehicles tend to be pushed out of an aircraft flying very low above the ground. They then skid to a stop with the aid of parachutes. This eases the stress on the vehicle (usually people aren't in it at the time though). Then it can be picked up and used. I'm not sure how well this would work with a city-destroying tank though, but it might be better than parachutes.

FASTIDIOUS SKETCHFIENDS of the FANTASTIC FOURTEENTH ESCHELON
    staylor| inkfish | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer | bRØk3n_sPiRiT | Max1975 | ZebzFree

TURBOFANATIC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you follow the BMD air drop thread and search google you'll find a ton of reference, and a lot of comment on why we don't have air drop tanks (seems we're stupid)

this pic shows a russian bmd under single canopy with retro rockets firing to cushion landing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man this topic is so awsome I might just have to try it myself Oh the mass destruction, the carnage

Command & Conquer anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by MEP
    I can't imagine needing 20 crewmembers
    Heh, russian thinking; 1 person to drive it, 19 to make sure he does his jobb (apologies to any russians)

My Sketchbook
    "Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind, the race is long, and in the end, it’s only against yourself."
    Photoshop color picker | Adjusting tablet sensitivity: Manually or Utility

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ciutadelle

Well that´s my contri , I think in a multi -gun, my airborne tank is a two towers a mobile ans static, termonuclear missils, and lot of guns, is for destroy all.

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't quite understand the 'cone' and how it helps deal with the forces involved, but the rendering is great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cesaraguilar/davi - great start to the thread

i've got some wips for this in my sketchbook - will post them here if i dont get a chance to render them up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Legato, I think I know how this works. Davi will correct me if Im wrong. Ok now if he had something that was flat to break the tanks fall the force of hitting the ground would distribute evenly across the surface but it wouldnt cushion the landing at all, it would just travel up through the tank and probably ruin less substantial components. However Davi put a cone shaped landing system on his tank. This way it will split the earth once it hits. Now since its a conical shape then it will take more and more force to push the progressively larger in diameter cone further into the ground. But of course there is only the original force of the impact so the tank uses the cone to grind itself to a halt slowly. Its fairly simple and ingenious really. Take anything that tapers to a point with a wide base and try to push it into the ground. Initially it will enter the soil smoothly but it gets harder and harder to push it in as you move toward the base. Same basic principle. Good idea Davi.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...so once it's stuck in the ground like that, how does it move?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Main Loop, no the cone is detachable. The tank detaches from the cone after its done landing and then drives right off it. On the main picture of the tank there are large holes in the housing of the treads, then in the pic of the tank attached to its cone you can see what look like clasps attaching the tank to the cone. The holes are where the clasps insert into Im assuming, then they unhook on arrival.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Already some cool looking tanks appearing! Not sure if I'll have the time to give it a shot this week since I'm midway through the CHOW and COW, but I'm definitely going to be watching this to see what everyone comes up with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh ok.. i dont know if im the only one who that was unclear for.. its really hard to tell what's going on with that little thumbnail.. maybe some sort of markings/decals to tell each segment apart?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let’s see.... Lone, city obliterating tank with a twenty man crew that can survive a huge fall built with late eighties tech... An M1 Abrams(designed in 1980) has a four man crew(captain,driver,gunner,loader) and has an operational time of maybe a few days. The 500 gallon-ish fuel tanks let the Abrams travel nearly 300 miles without refueling. It’s ammunition magazines hold a hundred something rounds.

A twenty man crew would prolly be something like this:
    -Captain
    -driver
    -co pilot
    -navigator/map guy
    -7gunners
    -7loaders
    -2 mechanics

The form is taking shape! Seven large guns, at least ten or so smaller guns, LOTS of AA guns/missiles, all kinds of radar domes and scopes, HUMUNGOUS FUEL TANKS and engine, and places for the crew to sleep. But since you want to keep complete operational strengh at all times, you’ll need more gunners and loaders.

For landing, how about a few spaceship-class rockets and parachutes?

Since this thing has to able to cause huge amounts of damage, it'll be larger than a regular tank by orders of magnitudes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not going to be able to finish this or render this up - my wife is taking me to new york for my birthday tommorrow, so gonna be a fair old distance from my drawing board!!

main idea, tank in flying wing shaped lifting body style vehicle (kinda x-33 next gen shuttle thingee) thats is carried by massive kick ass jet/assualt gunship. landing vehicle acts as missle launcher to assist tank when targeting + blowing the shit out of stuff. hope you like

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, for all that power, you need some hell of a powerplant. prehaps an atomic reactor? if they could fit one to a plane back in the 70s surely a giant tank could take one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.