bRØk3n_sPiRiT's portfolio review thread

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello. Thank you for visiting my portfolio review thread.
    I'm 20 years old from Argentina.

The target of this portfolio is grayscale and black and white interior illustrations for books. My goal with this portfolio is to work primarily doing interior illustrations for publishers of gamming books.

I have organized my sample images onto three pages. I don't know what is the criteria for judging the number of portfolio pieces, either if each page constitues a single sample, or if the individual samples on each page. If it is the former instead of the latter, please let me know, so I can provide more sample pages for this portfolio.

I have organized the samples onto three pages: a grayscale page, a line page, and a full page illustration.

grayscale

line

full page

Please let me know your thoughts, criticisms and advice. Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by brokk; November 6th, 2006 at 05:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there bRØk3n_sPiRiT I couldn't let this one slip by!

Well, I'll just go through all the images:

Snail warrior:

Original concept, well drawn, the rendering feels a little light on but it has a great vibe to it. I think you could definitely freshen up that sword a bit - make the hilt long enough to be gripped with two hands (which appears to be the idea), possibly clean up the sketchiness of the serrations on the sword. You could also downsize the pommel at the same time and have the hands resting on a guard without changing the hands or arms at all so it's a pretty simple chop.

Bulb head:

No crits here - this is a great display of your ability to depict texture and shine in greyscale.

Tooth creature:

It's great definitely brought a smile to my face. Somehow reminds me of the tooth creatures in commander keen 6 that would push you around and reflect blaster shots with their floor length buck teeth.

Illness Eater:

No crits. Displays good ambience skills and has a neat perspective.

Warrior:

Shows you can do human anatomy but the backpack irks me. It seems more of a rectangular box with weapon heads sticking out of it, more of a lego attachment than a piece of feasible equipment. I imagine a less regular or less spatially empty backpack would mesh nicer.

Page 2

3-mouthed creature:

Looks good, but the teeth look a little rough like you've just zig-zagged them in.

Warrior Lines:

I think these are a little redundant as you have already provided essentially schematic sketch in the lighly shaded version above. It's not like the shaded version obscures any detail not seen in the original linework.

Illness Eater lines:

This on the other hand is definitely necessary. The shaded image conveys mood and ambience, these lines show the partially obscured technical detail behind the creatures.

Hand with crystal ball:

Shows you can draw good hands No crits.

Huts:

You should seriously consider shading this!

Page 3:

Sea creature:

No crits I love it

Hope these help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, here goes:
    First page, I wish the leg of the tooth creature didn't creep out of the page, I find it distracting.

The orcish guy has been scaled down and I'm pretty sure he was first meant to be in color, so his face lost a bit of definition, I don't quite understand his mouth at the format, are his teeth showing? Same for the houses at the bottom.

I like the tentacled pod things.

Second page, I wouldn't repeat the orcish guy unless you have nothing else to put there, take the occasion to show something different.
    The large ball with teeth image, it seems like there is a frame on 3 sides of it but it has been removed on one side.

Third page, I remember when I first saw this illustration it didn't feel so empty, did you crop it differently?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok guys, here are the pages again taking into account the corrections that needed to be made

Snarvefs, thank you for such a considerate and detailed reply!
    Snailguy: I made the hilt longer and cleaned up the serrated edges a bit. I chose not to put the hands resting on a guard instead of the pommel because I didnt want to have anything above of the hands... I didn't like how it looked compositionaly. I did reduce the pommel size just a bit, so the hands could still rest on something.

human guy/warrior: I tried making the backpack more round and less like a box. I should remember to look up reference before making something like this.

warrior lines: I removed them and put some random objects in its place. I'm still thinking it could be better to include a character or a portrait.

huts: I did add the values... it turned out to be a disaster : P heh. Maybe I could try it again.

Thank you for the nice words on the other images, I'm glad you liked them. Also, I can't believe you remember I called those creatures illness eaters : P

quitsune, thank you for your reply!
    tooth creature: I moved it to the right and added the missing toe. Originally I didn't draw it because I ran out of space on the page... pretty stupid of me actually : P
    I removed the repeated guy and added some random objects. Like I was saying to Snarfevs, maybe it would be better to include a character or a portrait.
    I added frames to the other images on the same page.
    Glad you like the tentacle guys.
    The third page, no, its the same image, no cropping. I think it looks kind of empty or different for some reason as well. Maybe the white space surrounding it? In any case its the same image, maybe I should remove the white rectangle its inserted in.
    EDIT: I forgot to say, about the size of the guy on the bottom right corner, I increased it just the bit. I see what you mean about the loss of definition of areas like the mouth (yes, the teeth are showing). I do have the color version also. What I didn't want was for a single piece to occupy much more space or be more important than the other samples, but now that I think about it, I should try making a single piece per page and give that the most importance, with other smaller pieces on the same page. In any case, I have larger versions of these samples and I was thinking just to use these compiled pages, and provide larger samples upon request, or add larger versions on a separate page.

Guys, if there is anything else that comes to mind, please let me know.

Do you think this portfolio is ok for the purpose of interior illustrations?

Last edited by brokk; March 19th, 2006 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I think this is quite an improvement. Just be careful for your next ones that the borders around images are all the same thickness. It's a pain, but it looks much more professional.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you qitsune, I will do that and use it for future pages.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.