Painting over some sketches

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I get very little feedback from my sketchbook so I'll try posting them here. I'm still painting with the mouse using nothing but round brush in photoshop. I know I should practice my greyscale some more but I'd like to improve my painting skills. Do you guys have any tip or suggestions? Like something I'm doing wrong or something I'm not doing I should? Ok, I should use more reference than my imagination. What else?

So here are my recent ones: (all done in 30mins to 1h30mins)

Painting over some sketches Painting over some sketches

Painting over some sketches Painting over some sketches Painting over some sketches

I usually start with basic skin tones right over the sketch. I have a bad habbit of working it all on the same layer. I just add a layer for shadow and another one for highlights. The result is often blurry and boring so I change contrast, saturation and luminosity. But I wanna try some new approachs at digital rendering. Do you have some suggestions like wich brush/palette to use or something?

Thank you in advance. I know I still have a long way to go but I'm determined to improve. I'll be practicing a lot in the days to come.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since you are obviouly painting and not just coloring, you are severly limiting yourself by not using a tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mm, no tablet

also, everything is a bit "round" most of the shapes and tones are roundish - this would change i hope with a tablet. But dont deal with a muscle area like its round, there are flat bits where the light will hit it differently.

I would - buy a tablet even cheaper ones are brilliant
    then try some more sketching with that, or sketch more from life, its never a waste of time.

Things like tones and skin will come in time, but start on getting the overall figure and painting techniques down! and you'll be on your way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First, you definitely need a tablet (I don't know you do it without it). Get a Tablet for Wacom (Ino 6 x 8 is probably the best size) if you could.

Your question about reference. At this stage, I think you need a lot of references. Using reference is not cheating as long as you learn something (quote from someone here). Copy and Copy from the great master (from life too).
    And don't worry about your style just yet (it will find you not the other way around). I can see that you have a lot of imagination and you like to draw.

Read some book 'bout figures drawin and learn proportion and anotomy, u'll get better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 more thing. Here is a great tutorial site for digital drawing and painting stuffs http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials
    I strongly recommend check this out. I think you would need a tablet first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your beginning. Take a life drawing class and DRAW all the freaking time. Your job now is about quanity and not quality. It's the only way, and depending on how much you to is depending on where you will be in a year, in 5 years, in 30 years. You are hte creator of your own life.

~M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stay away from the blur tool.

it's inherently evil unless used properly. It makes everything muddy. Use low opacity brushes to mix colors. Learning how to paint traditionally will help you immensely when painting on the computer, even with a mouse. I would save some money on a tablet and go buy some paints. People get all stressed out about going nuts with a tablet. It won't make you any better. It is just another tool to use to create art.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.