Sketchbook: This is the old shitty sb, check out the new one for more! (link in my sig) - d.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is the old shitty sb, check out the new one for more! (link in my sig) - d.

First sketchbook nya.

Go to page 3 for recent updates!

I joined an art academy this year and the drawing class has been phenomonal. Started drawing for the first time in charcoal and i love it. Plus I've been looking into graphite and creating motion in pictures with it. These are humble beginnings, and i'm set to improve tremendously.

Anyways - all these have been photographed - not scanned. This resulted in some cool colour schemes with the graphite drawing when correcting contrast and adding minor effects. The charcoal drawing have remained unchanged except for contrast corrections here and there.

Graphite. Trying to emulate some motion.

This is the old shitty sb, check out the new one for more! (link in my sig) - d.

High(er) render charcoal for drawing class:

This still life nya needs some work, so i'll post again once completed:

And finally an unreferenced nude. Wierd, I know. And sorry about the hand.

Crits and comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by demented; July 14th, 2006 at 01:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx, man!

I really wasn't sure where to place my work because its a bit difficult to compare.

thanx for the thumb-up!

- d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey - you had a look in my sketchbook, figured I'd take a look at yours!

I think your attempt at motion in that first one was pretty good - I saw motion in it before I read your statement. And the texture of the sky is cool.

The charcoal rendering of the glass items is nice too - the marbles are especially effective. The candleholder in the stillife seemed a bit odd to me - but as you said, it's a WIP.

The final critique would probably be that anatomy needs more practice, but I am sure you know that - and who am I to mention that anyway, with my lousy anatomical knowledge. Still, I prefer to be honest. Just keep this post in mind for when I go back to drawing from life, and bash me over the head with it

See you around -oj

ohjay's sketchbook

So here we are but no cigar
    idiots and electric guitars
    You're hiding, keep riding
    from acid to zen and back again

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well
    According to me,It doesnt matter what media you use ,the priority should be first the basics then you should try the effects.
    Even I think the the sky in the first one looks good, but the the focus isnt on basics,the anatomy is a bit off and the foreshortening is not done properly and the the rocks and the ground could have also been given ths same kind of effect like the sky.
    The second one has almost the same strong and weak points.
    The life drawings from charcoal are looking very nice , no crit there.
    the nude has again the problem of anatomy and body proportions but the atmosphere created made me think of Popbot(Donno why).
    Keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

thanx for the crits and comments, man.

katsgod: thnx. Checked out your sketchbook - neat stuff, man.

OJ: thnx for the advice. I like to think that everyone is in a position to crit art, so don't feel guilty about the anatomy crit: you are perfectly right.

bhanu: You! are so right! I never even noticed that i had strayed from the focus - i got so obsessed with the sky i completely neglected the rest.

Much the thing with the nude, but a different effect: i took the arm for granted and didn't see it through. As for the rest of the anatomy: it does need a lot of refinement, i agree. Just hope Mentler doesn't stumble onto it(though i should actually).

thanx again. be seein you guys around...

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

did these nya today, hope you like. Critique would be appreciated, so don't hold back!

Thanx to bhanu for pointing out a fatal flaw - i'm still working on correcting it, but are these so long:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow ... good work man ...keep it up ...well as i am only 14 yrs i can giv any crits ....keep posting .. i wanna see some more stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, hari.

thanx, but just because your only 14 or an inexpierenced artist doesn't mean you can't give crits (did i misunderstand?). EVERYONE is in a position to crit art, mkay?

thnx again,

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

d's sketchbook: Update!! Crits needed!

Hey,

Thanks for all the comments. Here an few analytical drawing i did on objects my lecturer supplied me with. As you can see, crits needed. Badly.

So please, no holds barred as you tear this one apart. pld:

thnx

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know, I don't know that you do need crits. I really like the still lifes, especially the broken bottle and the 3 marbles, and that last page of the items is very well done. If anything, I might suggest slowing down, regarding the last image. Slow down and gently build the tones with the charcol, it looks like you are tring to get the drawing out of the way too quickly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice still lifes - shadowing on your nudes seems a bit arbitrary, more like your just reinforcing the lines.

keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey demented, one thing that strikes me when looking at your analytical drawings vs your figures, along the lines of what setmonkey said, is that maybe you should try rendering your forms with tone, NO LINES! (WHATsoever...) - it's especially effective on the human body (and other curvy, irregular shapes).

I did an art foundation course some years ago and we were never allowed to use lines or crosshatching, only softsoftsoft application of tones with the pencil / charcoal. If you haven't try it out and see if it works for you.

EDIT: Awww dude, the thing you did with the leaves - and even the stillife - that's what I was talking about. Nice one ohjay...sooo observant. Hey, it's not 0800 am yet!

Last edited by ohjay; March 19th, 2006 at 04:58 PM.
    ohjay's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,

(last post before bed: 12:08 in S.A)

Wetterschneider: Thanx and Whoa!You see right through me (or the drawings). Yes, they are quite "rushed". The thing is, I'm already drawing slower than is acceptable, and on top of that, i'm usually rushed for time. Most days i don't find enough time, though. Thnx for the advice; i'll work on it.

Setmonkey:: Thank you! I was going for a line-like effect instead of the more rounded look. I'll keep refining till it looks like it should, cos right now it doesn't. Thanx for pointing that out.

ohjay: Yo, oj! We're trying to achieve the sort of lineless effect in drawing class now - using it only for texture. I was initially going for something liney, but i'll do a more rendered nude when i find time. And many thanx for the edit: You did right coming back - i feel like drawing for another hour. Thanx man. (Oh - i checked your latest in your sketchbook - incredible improvement. Well done)

Thnx again everyone.

- d.

Last edited by demented; March 20th, 2006 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey D,

I'm returning the favor. I guess my only comment is how "fuzzy" your lines are when you sketch figures. I'd try to bring some of the crisp light and shadow detail, and tight lines that you have in your still lifes into your figures. Good job, though. I hate charcoal, and charcoal hates me.

-------------
    "Habit is the most subtle and comfortable of cages."

Lesedi's sketchbook, woo-hoo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup Demented, The still life in your first post shows that time really does make a difference. Keep at it bro.

Nothing Great Was Ever Accomplished Without Passion
    Sketchbook
    www.doronila.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

thnx guys:

lesedi: Yeah, spot on. I'm gonna get rid of that fuzzyness and go for something either totally line (much like your bike) or decently shaded - not this kinda f**king half-job. I also hated charcoal when I started out, but i've come to really like it. In your case, charcoal is gonna totally destroy the neatness of your drawings - and that's what's makin them!

Doronila: 100% there. Thing is, i may have taken my time with the drawing, but i totally rushed the composition - never thought it through. Gonna try and imrpove once i get it back (currently waiting to be marked).

Anyways - gotta lota work this week, but i should manage a bigger dump later on. Thanx for the crits and comments - they REALLY help.

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice still lifes, I like the glass and marbles one in particular.
    Keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-

Haha! You're right! I can't get precise and tidy like I like. But you're right about going outside of my comfort zone. I should do that more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Photoshop, Comphort zones & Phun...

Hey people,

Andy Nicho: Thanks man. What i'm doing isn't exactly up your alley, but i'm glad you like.

lesedi: Hey lesedi. It's good to get out of a comfort zone, but when you do get out your comfort zone, make sure you enjoy it. For instance i'm quite a control-freak when it comes to mediums - i want good control over it, and i want to know what kind of results to expects. But now i'm busy with a gouache - almost no control - and it's really fun! I have no control, so i don't expect results and i'm quite happy with what i get. So when you do get out, do some fun stuff - experiment a little, enjoy yourself!

Anyways: here's an oldie - in terms of knowledge applied: learnt a lot the last two months: PS7

Crits and comments would be appreciated. thnx!

- d.

Last edited by demented; March 22nd, 2006 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work. I love your charcoal pieces. I've tried charcoal myself, but up until now I've not been able to get the hang of it. Perhaps I'm using the wrong materials, but the results are always crude, dirty and awfull.

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Last one is definitely the best,
    Its so cool to see fast learners here.But I have one problem ,if that bright thing on the right is the sun then how come the buildings' opposite side are brighter.Still I like the peice especially cuz of teh fuzziness of your style.
    Keep Up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Light Touch

Hey D,

I really like the new piece. I'm still unsure how so many ppl are making this art in PS. Are you using a special program or an electronic drawing pad...? I'm so behind the times.

Anyway, so I like it mostly because I think it's the first environment of yours that I've seen, and I like the mood. On the flip side...guy, you gotta get consistant with your lighting. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the cool white light at the top and the warm reddish light on the lower left corner, but your tall vertical shapes at the top (building structures?) are lit on the side opposite to the light and dark on the side closest to the seen light source. The same with the bottom, the door and bridge are bright on the shadow side from the reddish light source. Also, with such differenct light types coming from opposite directions, there should be some interplay of them hitting each other and diffusing more in the middle.

I get that there could be light sources that are just off-frame in the other direction, but since we can't see them and they are not really indicated other than the light/shadow play seen, it's resulting in confusion for me.

Okay, so, that's the serious crit part. The serious compliment is that you do other things with the light that are spot on and I adore. For example, the shaft of pale light coming down is stupendous. I love that you let the background come through like real light. I also love the diffused texture of the light at the top, it comes across to me like real light might on a cloudy/stormy day. I like the light in the tunnel too, even if you did get lazy on the steps leading to it.

Light is hard. I haven't figured it out yet, which is why there is barely any shadow/light source in my works at all. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Keep it up D ! And thanks for the materials tip!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

HAD a bad day - but now...

Hey people!

You guys just made my day, thnx!

ArcoNL: Thnx. The trick with charcoal is using your kneadable eraser as much as you use your charcoal, and to clean up immediately after a smudge.

bhanu: Thank You! (i didn't expect that coming from someone who has himself improved so tremendously). I only realised the light thing now ... damn. Anyways, post a huge dump when you come back!

lesedi: Thnx! On photoshop: You mainly use your brush tool. Right-clicking on the canvas will give you a menu, from which you can select different brush sets, and from there on different brushes. You'll also be using your dodoge and burn tools. As for hardware/equipment: I got myself a drawing tablet at the end of last year - almost instantly improved threefold with the newfound freedom. A mouse in this regard is truly undesirable.

About the lighting: everything was completely arbitrary. I put in the highlight on the broken buildings early on, then almost at the end i brightened up the sky and ended up making it a light source. Sorry - i wasn't thinking, but thank you (and bhanu) for pointing it out. F**kit, i need to stop doing things so arbitrarily - it's making me look impulsive...

Anyways - here's the last gouache; i'm quite pleased with it, but it's nothing serious nor professional - straight fun: (and yeah, i kanda ripped it from Andrew Jones)

Crits and comments welcome, but don't expect an update on this one!

thnx!

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno about the other things, but the shattered bottle u drew and the 3 glass balls are really great. They are made with reference or they are still life? Anyway, that bottle looks kinda real. To real if u ask me

Do more og those, and work on anatomy too.

Check put my schetchbook if you please
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61551

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More photoshop phun

Hey guys,

just finished my first ultra-hectic module at The Open Window - an art college here in S.A. Whoooo! ... man i'm so tired...

T-Raktor: Thnx man. I'm sorry to say all my charcoal drawings - except the nudes - have been drawn from life, if that answers your question. And about the anatomy: yeah, totally. I'm looking to buy myself a George Bridgman ... any tips, suggestion or warnings would be appreciated concerning this buy - i have a very limited budget.

anyways, whilst we're in the photoshop phad:
    Did this even longer ago, but it's my highest render in terms of photoshop. I had great fun doing it, and it proves that i can handle lighting ... a bit ... knowing you guys i'm sure your gonna make me eat those words ... :

Crits and comment would be appreciated - yeah i need those.

Thnx!

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mate, nice sketchs here ...
    the last one is so greet... maybe it need more work on muscles ...
    keep it up man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

HUGE update in prog

Watsup, people?

maxspider: thanks man: that one's a bit of an oldie.

Internet @ home is down, and Telkom, the responsible company, is on strike... (i'm working from college right now).

Before this sounds too whiney: point is i might not be able to upload the rest of this update soon.

Did a lot of sketches - these are some, more to follow - lots more. I need to practise anatomy - i know: i'm looking to get a George Bridgman... soon.

Anyways here are these:

Concepts on a character design...

...and his face:

Some more photoshop:

And some doodles in class:

As usual, c&c would be appreciated.

thnx!

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That photoshop environment is great!

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey demented, I'll agree with ArcoNL. The lighting is good on that environment piece! I like the sketch of that last creature, as well.

ohjay's sketchbook

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.