Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the old shitty sb, check out the new one for more! (link in my sig) - d.

Thanks

This is the old shitty sb, check out the new one for more! (link in my sig) - d.

First sketchbook nya.

Go to page 3 for recent updates!

I joined an art academy this year and the drawing class has been phenomonal. Started drawing for the first time in charcoal and i love it. Plus I've been looking into graphite and creating motion in pictures with it. These are humble beginnings, and i'm set to improve tremendously.

Anyways - all these have been photographed - not scanned. This resulted in some cool colour schemes with the graphite drawing when correcting contrast and adding minor effects. The charcoal drawing have remained unchanged except for contrast corrections here and there.

Graphite. Trying to emulate some motion.

This is the old shitty sb, check out the new one for more! (link in my sig) - d.

High(er) render charcoal for drawing class:

This still life nya needs some work, so i'll post again once completed:

And finally an unreferenced nude. Wierd, I know. And sorry about the hand.

Crits and comments would be appreciated.
    Last edited by demented; July 14th, 2006 at 01:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    thanx, man!

I really wasn't sure where to place my work because its a bit difficult to compare.

thanx for the thumb-up!

- d

Thanks
    Hey - you had a look in my sketchbook, figured I'd take a look at yours!

I think your attempt at motion in that first one was pretty good - I saw motion in it before I read your statement. And the texture of the sky is cool.

The charcoal rendering of the glass items is nice too - the marbles are especially effective. The candleholder in the stillife seemed a bit odd to me - but as you said, it's a WIP.

The final critique would probably be that anatomy needs more practice, but I am sure you know that - and who am I to mention that anyway, with my lousy anatomical knowledge. Still, I prefer to be honest. Just keep this post in mind for when I go back to drawing from life, and bash me over the head with it

See you around -oj
    ohjay's sketchbook

So here we are but no cigar
    idiots and electric guitars
    You're hiding, keep riding
    from acid to zen and back again

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 766 Posts
    Well
    According to me,It doesnt matter what media you use ,the priority should be first the basics then you should try the effects.
    Even I think the the sky in the first one looks good, but the the focus isnt on basics,the anatomy is a bit off and the foreshortening is not done properly and the the rocks and the ground could have also been given ths same kind of effect like the sky.
    The second one has almost the same strong and weak points.
    The life drawings from charcoal are looking very nice , no crit there.
    the nude has again the problem of anatomy and body proportions but the atmosphere created made me think of Popbot(Donno why).
    Keep posting.

Thanks
    Hey,

thanx for the crits and comments, man.

katsgod: thnx. Checked out your sketchbook - neat stuff, man.

OJ: thnx for the advice. I like to think that everyone is in a position to crit art, so don't feel guilty about the anatomy crit: you are perfectly right.

bhanu: You! are so right! I never even noticed that i had strayed from the focus - i got so obsessed with the sky i completely neglected the rest.

Much the thing with the nude, but a different effect: i took the arm for granted and didn't see it through. As for the rest of the anatomy: it does need a lot of refinement, i agree. Just hope Mentler doesn't stumble onto it(though i should actually).

thanx again. be seein you guys around...

- d.

Thanks
    Hey,

did these nya today, hope you like. Critique would be appreciated, so don't hold back!

Thanx to bhanu for pointing out a fatal flaw - i'm still working on correcting it, but are these so long:

Thanks
    wow ... good work man ...keep it up ...well as i am only 14 yrs i can giv any crits ....keep posting .. i wanna see some more stuff

Thanks
    Yo, hari.

thanx, but just because your only 14 or an inexpierenced artist doesn't mean you can't give crits (did i misunderstand?). EVERYONE is in a position to crit art, mkay?

thnx again,

- d.

Thanks

d's sketchbook: Update!! Crits needed!

Hey,

Thanks for all the comments. Here an few analytical drawing i did on objects my lecturer supplied me with. As you can see, crits needed. Badly.

So please, no holds barred as you tear this one apart. pld:

thnx

- d.

Thanks
    I don't know, I don't know that you do need crits. I really like the still lifes, especially the broken bottle and the 3 marbles, and that last page of the items is very well done. If anything, I might suggest slowing down, regarding the last image. Slow down and gently build the tones with the charcol, it looks like you are tring to get the drawing out of the way too quickly.

Thanks
    nice still lifes - shadowing on your nudes seems a bit arbitrary, more like your just reinforcing the lines.

keep it up

Thanks
    Hey demented, one thing that strikes me when looking at your analytical drawings vs your figures, along the lines of what setmonkey said, is that maybe you should try rendering your forms with tone, NO LINES! (WHATsoever...) - it's especially effective on the human body (and other curvy, irregular shapes).

I did an art foundation course some years ago and we were never allowed to use lines or crosshatching, only softsoftsoft application of tones with the pencil / charcoal. If you haven't try it out and see if it works for you.

EDIT: Awww dude, the thing you did with the leaves - and even the stillife - that's what I was talking about. Nice one ohjay...sooo observant. Hey, it's not 0800 am yet!
    Last edited by ohjay; March 19th, 2006 at 05:58 PM.
    ohjay's sketchbook

So here we are but no cigar
    idiots and electric guitars
    You're hiding, keep riding
    from acid to zen and back again

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast