Do you play mmorpg's when not drawing? - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to invest large portions of your time in an activity which will bring you no benefits in terms of skills acquisition, personal development or career progression but gives the illusion that it does, play a MMOG.

If you want to be a good artist, spend the time drawing.

It's not really a tough decision.

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

My portfolio review thread can be found here.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arumeo
    I have a problem.
    I have the urge to play MMO's, but by playing I "waste time having fun". Time I could have used getting better at drawing.
    However when I try to draw non-stop, I burn out really quick.
    Any tips to how I can focus more on drawing than gaming?

And oh, I have a GF -so I'm torn between three worlds :'(
    MMOs have always gave me the feeling my mind is molding over and stagnating inside my head... And I'm pretty sure that's not all too far off from the truth.
    The only thing I can think of is that you need some sort of motivation to push yourself beyond what you think your capable of. Or maybe completely destroy your mind ( ) so you don't need "motivation".

Wait, no, no.
    I got it, dump your gf for no reason, never touch a video game again, and feel worthless about yourself. Then you'll want to make up for it by pushing yourself into being worth something in the art field. So you'll sit in self loathing in the TSOFA forums sketching down all their examples for hours on end until you've mastered art as a whole. Then, and only then, will you ever succeed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hear what your saying. I'm a big fan of WOW but have reached a point where I've decided not to reactivate until summer despite my burning desire to bring it back for this march break. I finally made up my mind when I was sitting at my dining room table picking my grade 12 courses. Something about that made me realise I'm in the final stretch and can't afford to be playing the game at this point in time. So I didn't reactivate. Best move I could of made. I got a cold and still had to work. I'd go to bed within 2 hours of getting home, staying up only long enough to have dinner.

MMOs get stressful too. Especially if you are in a guild and you feel you need to do stuff to help the guild out as a whole. Luckily my guild is very understanding and all agree that "Real Life > WOW" is best. They are good people which was the hardest thing to leave. I still hang out on the guild forum though.

Overall, my life has started to turn around and my grades and art and all that stuff has improved since I dropped my MMOing. Drop the game. Just dropping it is the hardest part. Once you have, it's easy to live without it.

.. well.. that was more words than necessary.. I need to cut back on my rambling...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, don't waste your time, games are fun but it will take you nowhere, i was a big gamer like 3-4 years ago, lots of starcraft, age of empires, warcraft. But you should take a moment with yourself and think what kind of retribution are you getting.
    You have a GF? cool, spend your time with her, have fun with her, draw her while you're talking her, take a walk with your sketchbook, you can draw as you chat.
    I can say to you that i don't play games, just watch a couple shows on tv and that's it, don't get addicted.
    Cheers and good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to play way too many videogames. So much so that they would occupy my thouhgtas when moer important things are going on, ehehe. I also realized why people were so much better than me on this website. When I looked at them filling sketchbooks within weeks while I had only a handful of pages in a month. The thing with MMOs especially, is that you have to play them ALOT to make them worth playing.

I'm not saying that I won't have the occassional Soul calibur-a-Thon with my buddies. But ask yourself what you find most important, gaining a level, or gaining artistic skill. I think when you think about that,it will change your time spent on videogames. (Unless you REALLY care about playing games more than art)

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a girlfriend will change everything man. trust me. get one fast! & go do some sports, go read some good books! go to the movies, go have real fun! fuck WOW.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sciboy
    And it's this kind of stuff that makes me want to put together an art mmorpg.

LEVEL YOUR ART SKILLZ!!1
    I would play.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was addicted to WoW for a while, always trying to get to the next level.

But Imagine if all your skills in real life were represented by numbers that went up as you practiced them.
    Draftsmanship: 11
    Piano: 8
    Fitness: -2
    etc...
    It might be easier to see how you progress (cause usually all the good skills in life require a painfully slow progression and the rewards arn't instantly recognisable).

I spent like 6 months paying for a WoW account and not using it, so i cancelled it and bought Guild Wars, installed it, but then never played it. It would be nice to have time for games, but real life is an awsome MMRLG (Massive Multiplayer Real Life Game), so put your time into that. That being said, don't forget that gaming can be considered important 'research' (for tax purposes at least).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blue
    I would play.
    And i would make it provided we could work out the designs and some starter content.
    Maybe i should start a thread in the Game Design Studio section?

Last edited by sciboy; March 19th, 2006 at 05:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sciboy
    And i would make it provided we could work out the designs and some starter content.
    Maybe i should start a thread in the Game Design Studio section?
    This is sounding like fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okey, i setup a thread so i don't end up hijacking this one.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63922

Last edited by sciboy; March 19th, 2006 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MMOs and drawing don't mix. Drawing is way more fun anyway, you can draw whatever you want! Pick up a pencil and there is no limit to what world you can peek into... Games are fun to get into another world, but creating your own is so much more satisfying. I played WoW for a month or so, it is really addicting, but i quit when i saw this horrible Jabba the Hutt dude who was talking to me about his 4 level 60 characters... I didn't want to turn into that. Anyway gaming as met something of an end for me, I just can't afford to spend money on games when my car needs petrol and i need uni books. :/

A good idea is to take a week or two off of gaming (and tv) altogether, don't feel bad because you can't game, just take a break and amuse youself with other things. It helps clear your head i think and see how lame too much gaming is.

And as a chick I advise you to spend MORE MONEY on your girlfriend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Well

This isn't much of a solution, but you can take advantage of the slow pace of an MMO like WoW by actually drawing while you play. There is a lot of downtime in those games and I have such a short attention span that sometimes I'd just look around the world and sketch. Careful though you'll probably get ganked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    waste of time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinBeckett
    waste of time.
    I don't like your tone.

Anyways.
    Thanks for the overwhelming response on this matter. I made my decision before I started this thread, I just needed reassurance. I also started it because I'm sure there are others out there who have a nasty MMO habit.

Last edited by arumeo; March 19th, 2006 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mmo's are a waste of time man, hopefully you'll get it.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for not reading any replies before posting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.