Thread: Gettin started

Thanks

Gettin started

heya ppl, new to the forum, jus bin browsing through n there is some CRAZYLY gud work in this forum. I just left secondry school n im in a bit of a rut(at a low point) at the moment n im realy interested in this form of art and i was wondering when you guys and geyls started n how long it took ya to cum up with something decent. also i would like to know were a complete n utta nooby should start n how long itle take them 2 produce some half decent work.

XXX lotsa love ahehe.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Ned Guest
    It takes years of backbreaking work to escape mediocrity...

But if you're good, if you're talented it might not take as long as you'd think..

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    werd.

there is only one way to do it. start drawing in every spare moment you have. structure your life around it. when your friends go partying, stay home and draw. find peeps who like to do art all the friggen time and hang with them. take life drawing classes. draw from imagination....draw from life...learn feverishly. check out mindcandymans thread.

j

Thanks
    Put some more effort into spelling words out and spelling them correctly and that will show you care about what you are saying.

In turn, people will care about taking the time to offer advice/help/suggestions.

With that...

some quick words that may help - sentences or quotes if you will.

Many things are overwhelming when starting out. Either starting an individual project, starting a career or starting to get good. Break it into smaller bits.

Dont try and be amazing from the beginning. Just suck less each day. Its less overwhelming that way.

When you stare at a blank piece of paper - just throw something down. Get your pencil and your mind moving. Its less overwhelming that way.

Dont ever try and create your best portfolio piece or your life's best work when you sit down. It is to overwhelming. Just create and over time, the rest takes care of itself.

When you are inspired, motivated and creative everything comes easy. Only about 10% of the time are you actually creative. The other 90% of the time its actual work. Thats an overwhelming thought. Just begin the process of work, forget about the creative part and through work - creativity happens naturally.

Start something small and FINISH it. No matter how small it may seem. Dont think about a huge background scene with 13 characters lined up (Soul Caliber full character line-up) in full color and start working on that. Try and just do a really nice boot or a tree. Finishing something is an accomplishment. It is a SUCCESSFULLY completed project. Even if it sucks, then you are successul- and I'll explain below. For now though, start small. Success is a huge motivator and just finishing something gives you motivation to do something else.

Why can you consider something that sucks a success? Well if the worlds greatest character design and environment drawing are each only 1,000 character and environment drawings away - then you successfully finished one of the shitty ones. You only have 999 more of each to go and then the amazing one after those.

As you see, its just a mindset and philosophy overall. It is nothing more than that. You can do anything you want and be as good as you want in just about anything in life. Its all perspective, focus and the attitude you have going into it.

good luck - SPELL words out lazy ass

Thanks
    it takes me a long time to cum... (up with something decent)

Thanks
    i can honestly say it took me about a year to produce some half decent work. when i was 11. but half decent work won't cut it. 50% is a failing grade, man. always shoot for 200%.

i've been doin' that for 43 years now, don't think i've hit the bullseye yet. but i've come damn close now & then.
    Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks

aheheh i like it

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    it takes me a long time to cum... (up with something decent)
    lol i like it

Thanks
    OKIE DOWKKIIIIII! thought someone might a quick tip and ide be there in no time but it doesnt look like that is goin 2 happen, LMAO, hard work it is, ahehe.

Thanks
    Someone just wrote you an essay and you still don't bother to type properly...

Yeah, it's all hard work, no quick tips or shortcuts. If you want to skip levels, play a videogame. Anything worth doing takes time and effort.

If you are serious start a sketchbook and draw from life and anatomy books.

Thanks
    I'm not normally a dogpile guy (strangely enough), but I'm jumping on war', so it's OK.

If you're serious about drawing, get a couple good books and draw a lot.

If you're serious about being a member of a community, show the members enough respect to use the common language. That means using words where words are called for and sentences that can be easily understood.

Right now, things aren't going well.