Playstation 3 release delayed

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Playstation 3 release delayed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oakville, ON
    Posts
    1,989
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Is there any surprise at all? Over the last 6 months, all indications point to a delayed release.

    But hey, you know what they say, good things come to those who wait. (since I'm not one of the folks waiting, good luck to you guys.)

    ********************************
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The only suprise to me is that it isn't a production problem but a blu-ray copyright problem. That sucks...

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,035
    Thanks
    12,368
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    It's ok. It gives us poorer people time to raise the money through carwashes, cookie fund raisers, and Salvation Army bell ringing (even though it's not Christmast).

    Please email me if you want to fund my Playstation 3 purchase, thank you very much.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    that release date push back is only the japan release date, the US release day was always in november (at least that's what i had read in some mag). so for those of us in the US there is no change.

    i did hear something from a buddy of mine who's a HUGE gamer who said that he read that the blu-ray thing was meant to help speed up the time it takes to actually produce games (once out of pre-production), but when looked into it's not going to change anything at all as far as speed of production goes. that's kind of a dissapointment in my eyes...but then again i could be way off lol...my memory sucks and that was a month ago that he told me that. i'm gonna stick to it though, until i'm corrected.

    either way, i'll still be getting a PS3, cuz...well, just cuz dammit! lol

    cheers

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Drury lane
    Posts
    1,692
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I get the feeling it's the next dreamcast. Dreamcast was actually cool, it just had too many shitty games...
    jesus, such a late luanch, revolution is coming out this early summer, i'd rather get that since it's much much cheaper and will have more interesting games.

    I'm not impressed wiht PS3 at all. all it offers is "better graphics" thats it. sony might end up losing alot of money for this...they've already made the mistake of UMD and now this.

    Do you know the muffinman?

    Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bradford, ON, Canada
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Most of the people I know own more than a few UMD movies each, including myself...

    And I am buying a PS3 for Killzone 2. Mostly because it looks like... crack... but higher res... And these new videos are really teasing me.

    TREVOR HENRY ARTIST, PHOTOGRAPHER AND WEB DESIGNER

    Mediasoldier | Trevor Henry Photoblog | Lowopacity
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan
    I get the feeling it's the next dreamcast. Dreamcast was actually cool, it just had too many shitty games...
    jesus, such a late luanch, revolution is coming out this early summer, i'd rather get that since it's much much cheaper and will have more interesting games.

    I'm not impressed wiht PS3 at all. all it offers is "better graphics" thats it. sony might end up losing alot of money for this...they've already made the mistake of UMD and now this.
    The Dreamcast was awesome, and it had some great games, games you couldn't find anywhere else, original games that hadn't actually been made before and revolutionary games in established genres (sports and driving in particular). It also had a metric shit ton of fighting games, and not just crappy knockoffs either, but some truly inspired stuff like Kikaioh, Soul Calibur (the only home version of Soul Calibur) and DOA2 (which was better on the DC than on the PS2 due mostly to sloppy porting).

    The DC failed for several reasons:

    1. Sega took a lot of risks with their game development. This resulted in some amazing titles unlike anything else (Shenmue for instance). This also resulted in some lousy sales since most consumers couldn't really tell what they were buying (Shenmue for instance which also suffered from one of the worst English translations I've ever seen -- I'm glad I played the Japanese version first).

    2. Sony outright lied about the PS2's capabilities at the Tokyo Game Show in 1999. They presented a series of tech demos that were run on PS2 dev kits which were released to devs before there was an actual prototype PS2. These dev kits were about twice as powerful as the eventual PS2 would be (due to a critical engineering change in the internal bus which connected the main processor to the graphics processor). The videos were so stunning, that millions of would-be Dreamcast purchasers decided to hold off and wait for the PS2. Of course, the real PS2 wasn't anywhere near as powerful as promised and the game line-up was pure garbage for the first year of the Japanese release (and it was pretty lame for the first year of the US release too).

    3. The Japanese bought the PS2 because it was the cheapest DVD player on the Japanese market for a long time. It was estimated that for the first year of the PS2's on shelf prescence in Japan, each PS2 owner possessed .6 games. That's right, they sold more PS2s than games for the first year because most people bought it as a DVD player (in spite of the fact that it sucks as a DVD player). The Dreamcast didn't have DVD, and therefore didn't sell so well over there.

    4. Sega couldn't sell crack to junkies. Their marketing in the US was some of the worst in the history of the industry, almost as bad as SNK's NeoGeo ads. They didn't market the best games on the system and the games they did choose to sell, they sold poorly. People simply didn't know that the Dreamcast was a next gen system. Meanwhile, Sony marketing knew exactly how to get people excited about the PS2, lie about the release dates for the most anticipated games, exagerrate the system's specs and name drop their industry partners (Namco, Square and Konami).

    I'll admit that Sony made better business choices, but they still lied outright about the PS2's capabilities for well over a year. I truly hope the PS3 is less successful in this generation (and I don't believe the video footage for one minute, not after last time). Microsoft has already successfully courted dozens of high profile 3rd parties and Nintendo has the whole "our console is all crazy like" thing going for them. I hope either one of them takes Sony's lead.

    As for UMD, nobody is making UMD movies anymore. The only studio that still supports the format is Sony Pictures and its subsidiaries. Every other studio backed out of the format months ago because they simply weren't selling. Just like BetaMax, Minidisc, Memory Sticks and Clies (and soon Blu-Ray too I imagine). Sony doesn't seem to learn from their mistakes.

    -------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    "The Emerald City"
    Posts
    491
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'm in Nintendos corner, they have the right idea if you ask me. Gaming is getting so expensive, I want to play great games and not break the bank when it comes to a console. I mean shit, I have my computer to maintain too, and buying a new console every 4-5 years is great fun buy $$$$$$$. Expecially at Sonys price tag. That said, I'm more excited about the PS3 than the Xbox for a number of reasons. One being that I own a PSP and the other being RES4. When PS2 launched I felt like it was a week system, standing next to the Xbox it looked pitiful. But as time passed I wanted one for the volume of games alone, and there are some great ones. The one that finally pushed me was Shadow of the Colosus.

    As for the Dreamcast, it was a great system, unfortunatly it was market very poorly. But even then, and Im not 100% on this, it was abit behind graphically and technically.

    MEP you said,
    Soul Calibur (the only home version of Soul Calibur)
    I think you forgot about the Game Cube version with Link...

    Give me Revolution or give me death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    MEP, what tech demos are you referring to for the PS2? I don't remember any but the goofy duck thing which frankly, didn't impress me much. You definatly make some good points there. I guess only time will tell if Sony is liying about the PS3, but the xbox (or bungie) also made Halo 2 appear far better then it turned out to be. So Nintendo probably has the most honest market strategy. I have a gamecube, and I only have like 3 games for it. I have 25-30 titles each for my PS2 and xbox. The games on the cube just don't interest me.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Drury lane
    Posts
    1,692
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MEP
    The Dreamcast was awesome, and it had some great games, games you couldn't find anywhere else, original games that hadn't actually been made before and revolutionary games in established genres (sports and driving in particular). It also had a metric shit ton of fighting games, and not just crappy knockoffs either, but some truly inspired stuff like Kikaioh, Soul Calibur (the only home version of Soul Calibur) and DOA2 (which was better on the DC than on the PS2 due mostly to sloppy porting).

    The DC failed for several reasons:

    1. Sega took a lot of risks with their game development. This resulted in some amazing titles unlike anything else (Shenmue for instance). This also resulted in some lousy sales since most consumers couldn't really tell what they were buying (Shenmue for instance which also suffered from one of the worst English translations I've ever seen -- I'm glad I played the Japanese version first).

    2. Sony outright lied about the PS2's capabilities at the Tokyo Game Show in 1999. They presented a series of tech demos that were run on PS2 dev kits which were released to devs before there was an actual prototype PS2. These dev kits were about twice as powerful as the eventual PS2 would be (due to a critical engineering change in the internal bus which connected the main processor to the graphics processor). The videos were so stunning, that millions of would-be Dreamcast purchasers decided to hold off and wait for the PS2. Of course, the real PS2 wasn't anywhere near as powerful as promised and the game line-up was pure garbage for the first year of the Japanese release (and it was pretty lame for the first year of the US release too).

    3. The Japanese bought the PS2 because it was the cheapest DVD player on the Japanese market for a long time. It was estimated that for the first year of the PS2's on shelf prescence in Japan, each PS2 owner possessed .6 games. That's right, they sold more PS2s than games for the first year because most people bought it as a DVD player (in spite of the fact that it sucks as a DVD player). The Dreamcast didn't have DVD, and therefore didn't sell so well over there.

    4. Sega couldn't sell crack to junkies. Their marketing in the US was some of the worst in the history of the industry, almost as bad as SNK's NeoGeo ads. They didn't market the best games on the system and the games they did choose to sell, they sold poorly. People simply didn't know that the Dreamcast was a next gen system. Meanwhile, Sony marketing knew exactly how to get people excited about the PS2, lie about the release dates for the most anticipated games, exagerrate the system's specs and name drop their industry partners (Namco, Square and Konami).

    I'll admit that Sony made better business choices, but they still lied outright about the PS2's capabilities for well over a year. I truly hope the PS3 is less successful in this generation (and I don't believe the video footage for one minute, not after last time). Microsoft has already successfully courted dozens of high profile 3rd parties and Nintendo has the whole "our console is all crazy like" thing going for them. I hope either one of them takes Sony's lead.

    As for UMD, nobody is making UMD movies anymore. The only studio that still supports the format is Sony Pictures and its subsidiaries. Every other studio backed out of the format months ago because they simply weren't selling. Just like BetaMax, Minidisc, Memory Sticks and Clies (and soon Blu-Ray too I imagine). Sony doesn't seem to learn from their mistakes.
    it may well be the downfall of sony in the video game industry...
    they aren't thinking about the money people make. most people won't be able to afford ps3 and i don't even know any friends who own an xbox 360, just this one rich kid at school. nintendo always does the right thing and makes things affordable as possible. unlike ps3 and xbox 360 their system is far more innovative, motion sensitive controller, wireless, downloadable games, awesome networking, backward compatible with gamecube games, etc. Nintendo is putting so much cool stuff into the revolution that the revolution deserves such a name as "revolution".

    Do you know the muffinman?

    Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #12
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Innovations great, but it all comes down to the games. They have to focus more on mature games. And by mature, I don't mean games with boobies or cuss words.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacemanchuck
    As for the Dreamcast, it was a great system, unfortunatly it was market very poorly. But even then, and Im not 100% on this, it was abit behind graphically and technically.

    MEP you said, I think you forgot about the Game Cube version with Link...

    Give me Revolution or give me death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nope. That was Soul Calibur II you're thinking about which was on the GameCube, PS2 and Xbox. The game, Soul Calibur, was only released on the Dreamcast and in arcades (running on Namco arcade hardware which was closer to a PS1 on steroids I believe... odd that they ported it to the DC, though a second arcade revision of Soul Calibur was running on a Naomi board after the DC version was successful in Japan... Naomi is basically the arcade DreamCast only with more RAM).

    Personally, I think Soul Calibur II was a stupid title for the game since Soul Calibur itself was a sequel to Soul Edge (or Soul Blade depending on which country you live in). Soul Calibur II was already the third game in the series and Soul Calibur III is the fourth game in the series. Personally, I think Soul Edge still has the best soundtrack and audio design of the whole series (get the Playstation1 version if you can find it), and I miss some of the dynamic elements from the stage design (like the flock of doves on Seung Mina's stage or the massive battle with catapults and collapsing castle from Siegfried's stage). I also miss the interactive cut scenes which were almost sort of revived in Soul Calibur III, but not quite as well.

    Scubasteve:

    I'm talking about the TGS demos which showed several things:

    1. The rendered-on-the-fly version of the dance scene sequence from Final Fantasy VIII. The textures alone in this scene would bring a real PS2 to it's knees, but the pre-prototype dev kits had both more internal bandwidth and more RAM than the final PS2.

    2. The field of giant bones which reassembled themselves in a ghostly fashion into a skeleton of some monstrous fictional beast and then walked around and roared and whatnot. This was supposedly rendered on the fly as well, but a lot of people speculated it was faked. Even if it wasn't, it was still run on a pre-prototype dev kit and was well beyond what the PS2 is actually capable of.

    3. The early Tekken Tag Tournament demos which featured larger crowds and far superior graphics than what was actually released on launch day (there were some other Namco demos too I think that grossly exagerrated the final product that consumers actually got to play with). It's a good thing I don't like Tekken (it's a good fighting game...for scrubs) or else I would've been pissed about this one.

    Last edited by MEP; April 12th, 2006 at 12:46 AM.
    -------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    And as for Nintendo needing to make more "mature" games or whatever... I don't buy it. I don't see Nintendo going the way of Sega and the Dreamcast (unless they bank their future on the next Virtual Boy). Nintendo's got a good thing going for themselves. They don't dominate the market, but they don't need to. Dominating the market just puts a big target on your back (ask Sony), and puts more pressure on getting your next system out the door quickly rather than properly (again, ask Sony about the PS2's development cycle and the one-in-five defective return rate they enjoyed for a while).

    Nintendo is more than simply profitable, they're downright successful. They make a lot of money on their home consoles and even if they didn't they have the Pokemon franchise and GameBoy to cover their losses. Nintendo sells more games for GameBoys than all of the home consoles sell combined (including the GameCube). They've defeated over a half dozen would be competitors in the portable gaming market (and I personally think the PSP is doomed to meet the same fate) and they're still the highest selling company in the industry, again, because of the GameBoy and not their home consoles.

    I hear a lot of people knock the "kiddie" stylings of their home console offerings, but Nintendo hasn't taken a loss on any of their home consoles (I'm not counting Virtual Boy as a "console", and they backed away from that pretty quickly anyway). As long as they stay profitable, they'll stick around. It doesn't really matter if they win all the market share from their competition so long as they make enough to keep going.

    -------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •