Thunderdome 5 Finished Pieces Discussion Thread
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thunderdome 5 Finished Pieces Discussion Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thunderdome 5 Finished Pieces Discussion Thread

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favorites:

Mcotie's Pac-Man: excellent interperetation of an old game! That looks like it would be a blast to play!

Joel's Arkanoid: brilliant!

Nice work all around! Fun assignment!

-Muttonhead

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn! I forgot April only has 30 days...I was counting on finishing my piece for tomorrow...Ack.Well the deadline DID say May first, so am I still legal if I get it in by midnight tonight?

-Sean

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CROIKEY!!!

in true procrastinator style i was planning on getting mine in by thurs night too---are we too late?

MY SITE
    available for freelance

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,574 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    turn it in now before anyone notices...lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up lots of great stuff

I just wanted to say a few things.
    Lono... damn, I love how you treated the metal portion of the demons body, really nice stuff. Blackhand... very nice work very professional layout. Dan M. awesome, very awesome.
    I think everyone did a great job. This being my 1st thunderdome( I will work harder the next time around having seen all the wonderful competition) I can't wait for the next!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    does anyone know when the winners will be announced?

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I about wet myself when Android posted minutes after I made my submission. I thought I had all day May 1 to turn in the stuff, and now that looks like the case.

I need to sleep.

Android's Joust piece is really great for the expression--the guy just looks cocky and evil. For some reason, it reminds me a lot of the bad guys from Tron--just expression wise.

I liked all the weapon designs and story elements Scratched Glass did for Faxanadu.

Joachim's Bionic Commando stuck out, too, though I'd like to see it developed more. I loved that game.

These are just off the top of my head. Overall, I'm just very impressed and scared for any chance I might have had with all the great entries.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mcotie´s pacman is awesome
    androids is..... simply brilliant...

Jaku

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had an orgasm when I saw Androids...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well andriods is pretty ehffin badass.
    Im pretty sure Lonos got it though. stuby legs aside, the rendering is beautiful.

I realy wish I had more ime to do my version of the cyber deamon.

BLAST ON YOU!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Much love to my buddy Gloklund!

I love your work in the other forums as well as in this one.

Nice Take on the Kid Icarus. He looks cute!
    I Love the inocent look on his face.

Peace, Love, and JellyBeans!
    :chug:

Last edited by Kadza Neon; May 2nd, 2003 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The latest batch of entries...holy cow. It's interesting to see that almost all the latest entries are not only good, but MegaMan redesigns.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    proms megawomen rock the shizzle.

-Lono

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prom is just phenomenal. By far my favourite digital artist these days. I crave him.. err.. gross. I crave his art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Many Megamen!!!

It's nice to see so many Megaman designs! The first Megaman game of the series is my all time favorite game....I still play through it every once in a while. I thought about doing Megaman also, but realized that I like the original too much and decided to do a different character from the game. And they are all really great!
    My Favorites.....in no particular order

Dan Milligan's "Marathon"
    - I just wish I knew the game....so I might relate better to the character.
    Joachim's "Bionic Commando"
    - That right arm design is great! Bring's back fond memories of frustration from trying to land that game ending shot.
    Mcotie's "Pac Man"
    - You took it somewhere that I would've never have thought "do-able". And thanks for starting this thread.
    Lono's "Cyberdemon"
    - :shocked:
    Lhun's "Simon Belmont"
    - totally looks AND feels completely different from the original.
    Mcnallyism's "Megaman"
    - another complete redesign. The "lizzy" entry is pretty tight too.
    Prometheus' "Megaman Series Sketches"
    - *sigh* Wow, man....amazing! And you finished your Yellow Devil sketch too! I was hoping you would....and also hoping you wouldn't since I did the same thing.

Good job everyone. Looking forward to the results!

Peas,
    RK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Androids Joust is of course... stellar. Its cool to see the lighting and brush techniques that he has mastered in his self portraits come out in his other illustrations. VERY inspiring.

I especially liked the Master blaster design by Blackhand. Killer detail on the treads. I Liked that you took the time to show how the parts fold together for the shock system for the various transformations. Technical and tight.

Megaman by promethius is hot. I cant wait to see that guy work on a game.

Mirana pulled off an AMAZING rendered piece of the original white mage from FF1 which I recently started playing again. Such a clean vision, and so reminescent of the original... but with great life and personality. It cracks me up that he did the whole thing with the eraser tool. LOL. incredible.

Speaking of personality... Milligan pulled off a killer "kind of cocky baddass military" dood for marathon. Ive never heard of the original... but the painting technique shows excellent mastery of the brushes. is that painter or photoshop?

Very inspiring work everyone.

-trent

:fish:
    http://www.trentkaniuga.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For what its worth, rather than sitting and thinking to myself, I post some thoughts bout the entries...
    Joachim´s Ghost'n Goblins - cutsie. Nice coloring, good surroundings

Kadza Neon´s The New Mega Man JP1 - Cool dude. Also the one and only 3D image

Jaku´s Kabuki Quantum Fighter - excellent coloring. Dunno the game though...

Dan Milligan´s Marathon - Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Marathon!!! It was on my list too, before I thought of Hero. Stunning! Cool! Excellent coloring. i agree the original Marathon Marine looks a little silly. This one rox though!
    PS Check out the marathon resurresction Mod for unreal Tournament - great stuff for Marathon lovers and good stuff for those who never played it too, trent and others... DS Oh, I love that apple too, heres to Ya! :chug:

creedguytrent´s Link - cutsie. I love the lighting

ceenda´s Shadow of the beast - this one got real "retro" feel to it. Cool!

Ribking´s Yellow Devil - awesome cool. Like 19th centure steam engine feel to it

Payback´s Speedball - cool stuff. I remember playing that game on the 64

mcotie´s pacman - evil cyber pacman. Excellent robot pacman feel. Cool

weapon82´s Dragonlorrd - I esp like the 3 sided concept of the dude - nice work

joel´s arkanoid - excellet lighting feel!

HellTaxi´s Punchout - king hippo - Weeeee! I played (still play it on emulator) this game! It rox! U know U gotta hit him in da stomach, right!

Secret´s wee kid icarus - excellent line art

Scratched Glass´s faxanadu - excellent coloring. Cool background/weapons chart - excellent layout

stevethomas - forbidden forest! - weeee. I remeber this one! Excellent stuff - and lots of it!

brutenine´s contra 3 worm BOSS - excellent evil thing

Muttonhead´s Joust Re-Design - funny stuff very nice coloring

Lono´s UPDATED cyberdemon from Doom2 - excellent stuff - cool posture and coloring. Real evil looking

blackhand´s Blaster Master - ultraslick design. Excellent work

Android´s Joust - somehow I see Androids face in that dudes face? Whats with that?

Lhun´s Castlevania -Simon Belmont - cool weapons, nice coloring

McNallyism´s Megaman - slick design!!!
    McNallyism´s Lizzy - good stuff!

Prometheus|ANJ´s Megamen(girls - cutsies!!! And lots of them! - Dont he ever sleep?) I esp like the action pose on metal

Bloodstone´s octabrain - hehe, coolto do that thingie

negativespace´s robotron - never heard of the game. Looks evil, and lighting is nice

Ouroboros´s Airman from megaman - cool stuff!

Mirana´s (is it final fantasy???) - excellent stuff - very nice (and cutsie too)

tegehel´s Evil dead ash3000 - awesome dude!!! :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's awesome to see so many pieces together now that they're all in. Really cool thread of work. :chug:

The thunder of guns tore me apart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy rusted metal Batman!!!!!!! Prom's MegaChicas are fuckin awesome!!!! I got's one question though Prometheus. Are you painting these traditionally or in Photoshop?????

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Sheesh......

Originally posted by Faaaccceee!!!!!!
    I got's one question though Prometheus. Are you painting these traditionally or in Photoshop?????
    Not that it matters either way......They are great, but I also would like to know. Traditional or Digital?
    After looking at your website, I saw how much you use acrylics. By the way you were pumpin them out yesterday, I would have to believe they are all digital....right?

Peas,
    RK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure they are...

It was a great contest all in all, lots of great paintings, but I seem to recall there were even more people working on stuff in the WIP-thread, and maybe even people who were actually finished with their pieces, or am I wrong?

I wonder if their work is still in the contest even though they didnt post it in the finished picture-thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PROMETHEUS!!!

DUDE! I like what you did with all of the megaman characters! You stayed true to the design enough to know who each character is without even seeing the name, and you added more very cool ideas to the designs, and the fact that you changed them into chicks is great. I used to sit in class in middle school drawing megaman characters and recreating my own to fit in that world and made them girls. If they would make a new 3d megaman game that had these exact character versions you did, it would be great, and very interesting, with good animation! I'm still waiting for an all time grand megaman game, probably won't happen though. I like all the ones you did, but my favorites are Shadow and I noticed she has a similar helmet to Zero which is cool, Shadow was a difficult character to defeat if your bold enough to use just the regular weapon. Gemini, thats a nice helmet design, good take on that. Cut, nice pose, nice design! In fact, I like crash alot too. Nice stuff. One more thing, I thought gutsman was names guts because he had guts, he's some big robot dude who threw giant rocks at you and he seemed like a military robot. But maybe your right and he was named that because he has a gut.

I had to say something about this stuff I was such a megaman fanatic when part 2. 3, and 4 was out. But then the quality of the megaman games went sour after a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prometheus completely swamped this whole contest ;-) i love those chicas

High level stuff in this contest! Lots of Megaman though...

I also love shadow of the beast remake

Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    *back after some mid-day sleep*

I'm glad ppl seem to like my MM stuff. I made those quite quick, the colors are about 1.5hrs, except the clay dude who had no details and thus were a lot faster.
    I would've loved to do more, but I was busy just until right now

I used my quick and dirty Photoshop technique. I was supposed to be doing lineart in pencil or ink but it didn't work. It took to long and it's easier to model and design shapes with color/values. It seems I'm somewhat neglecting doing proper shapes when I do lineart.
    Yes, I stayed pretty close to the designs, like I said earlier, it's more of a stylistic redesign. I love older games with low res GFX cuz it leaves room for imagination. In a way low resolution games has better GFX cuz of that. The viewer can enhance the design with his or her's own preferences, which is better than being served something very defined I think. One of the reason I don't like many new games is that they are forcing finished impressions on the player, and worst of all, story. I like Zelda 1 because you are free to go everywhere right from the start. I remember getting the infinite key and flute before beating any level/dungeon. Metroid 1 was a bit like that too. I haven't played Prime yet though, arrghh!
    I have a lot of thumbnail sketches for most of the classic games, list is too long to rant here.

This was the style I was aiming for first:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/product/rockmanzero/index.html

I was gonna do a cover montage like that with the bosses from mm1 but again I didn't have any time. I did all the illustrations in one long sitting pretty much, except Shadow which I did first just before I took a nap. My sleeping rythm is seriously warped now.

It seems megaman characters and capcom characters in general are always 14 years old (also age of target group I guess). I think the chibi style suits the Megaman games well cuz of the cuteness of it and because the heads are large in the game too. Chibi is so easily readable with its larger heads and eyes, strechable mouth etc. It's ageless I think too, like most stylized comic styles. I don't like the pseudo manga (or whatever it is) on the european/us box covers.

I would've liked to do:

All bosses from MM1 (I missed bomb, fire, ice)

Quick, Flash, Gyro, Skull, Napalm, Air, Dr Wily(Wilma hah?), MM himself, Some naginata dude from the GB games.

Many of the enemies, specifically the green guys piloting mecha stuff.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; May 2nd, 2003 at 06:07 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work everyone! i was very impressed with alot of the finished work that went up. everysome seemed to put a good amount of time effort and thought into their designs. Marathon, Lomo, Prom, Android, Joachim, Milligan, all fantastic work. inspirational. All the work was great and have their nice twists to it, those are just the names that seem to have stuck out. Great guys, im looking forward to the next!!

Im about to dig out the NES and crack out ghost n goblins, that game dominated my childhood. i dont think i ever beat it either.

I think its Scratched.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prometheus

I agree that the chibi style suits the megaman games the way you explained it. I think you got the "rockman zero" style down for your work on this well. I saw the link to rockman zero, I want to play that! Since your obviously into megaman, did you see the illustration I did of him a while back? I'd like to know what you think about this very angry version of him.

Click here to see it.
    http://www.chrisjanderson.com/Galler.../meganpage.htm

I know what you mean about new games that force finished impressions on the player, and bad story. Thats why I don't like megaman games much anymore, in fact a lot of games suffer from the same thing. The first metriod and zelda, older megamans, bionic commando, etc, the games were the story. They didn't try to have a game and then force some half witted made up story at you along with it. You played the characters who were cool and did cool things in interesting environments, and you got the feel of the story by playing it. One of these days I'd like to do a version of Air man, Ring, Dust, Heat, Roll, and maybe one of Dr.Wily's cooler robots he uses in his main castles. I probably will sooner or later.

Last edited by Chris J. Anderson!; May 2nd, 2003 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice rendering! I used to do stuff like that in school. I spent like hours on cracks, knobs, shades etc. I sort of moved away from it when I started to paint over my lineart.
    I never got to play the SNES MM games, I was mainy a NES guy and when the SNES came out I was too old or too poor to buy game consoles. Probably too poor cuz I'll never get too old.

I'm getting really inspired to write a 'game design doc' for a megaman game, which of course is a waste of time since such a game would never be made. It's still fun though, and fun is what counts.

NES goblins & goblins had the worst scroller ever. Still I played it a lot. There was something about it I can't quite put my finger on. The atmosphere perhaps.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incredible work, everyone! Very inspirational. This is undoubtedly the best round yet. I;ve been a fan of Joachim's art for a while now, so it was a real treat to see him make an appearence in this contest. The bionic commando rocks! You have a beautiful painting style. Dan Milligan's Marathon entry made me do a double take. I'm not sure if I've ever seen any of your art before, but I'll be looking for it from now on. I love Brutenines creature sketch. Its refreshing to see something tradtional once in a while, especially when its as well-rendered as your piece. Lono's cyber-demon is unnecessarily well painted, and his take in the design is an infinite improvement over the original. I won't force you to give up the secrets of your technique, but I'd love to find out how you pant so naturally in the digital medium. I really liked the fact that Blackhand included the tank in his redesign of master blaster. It would be great to see more ID stuff like that in these contests. Android's Jouster was flawless, as one would expect. And I don't think theres much I could say about Prometheus' Mega-people that hasn't been said already. They're darn purdy. And thank you very much for your color breakdown in the tutorial section! Very informative and helpful. There are many that I haven't mentioned that deserve it, but I can only type so fast with my pinky toe...

-Sean

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished watching all the entries again, and I must say everyone did a great job!

Some pieces that stood out for me were; the Contra worm boss, the Blaster Master entry and Prom's mega-women.

Once again, great topic and great entries!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.