Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: neireth's walking in circles - (updated Aug 21st!)

Thanks
    I like your imagination...ill be around keep working!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I really dig your drawing style, and you've clearly got a lot of skill. I like the characters/subject matter too, the expression and the rendering is great.

Couldn't fault your sketches and drawing so far and I expect it will only improve.
    ./|.......................
    .\.||||.___............
    ..|..|...|__.\....../...
    |/...|...|__...\/\/...!! ...Sketchbook...

Thanks
    This one is very good! Good feeling for shape and the character is way cool!
    The chaplin is quite good, impressive but your own imagination is more fun to watch
    keep going forward!
    Links
    Scetch Book
    AnimationMentor Blog

Thanks
    dood, awesome book. only thing i got for ya is that you need to update more often! great work

Thanks
    omni1 - Don't worry, all criticism (well, almost) is good. And you're right in this case as well. Thanks!

Spats - Thanks! I've never actually dedicated any time to study anatomy, but it'll hopefully change now. Cheers for coming by!

maxetormer - Cheers, and I'll try my best!

Stew - Thank you for your kind words! I'm also hoping this will help me improve. Time (and more sketching) will tell.

Banshax - Thanks!! I didn't enjoy doing the Chaplin drawing in the same way, but it was something new at least.

Sith - Whoa, thank you, means a lot coming from someone who kicks my ass royally in art. I'll try to update as often as I can, or well, when time allows me to.

And now on to the last few days' sketches. Not much, but school is killing me and eating basically all my time (and enthusiasm).
    Tried to squeeze in some sketches though. Sorry for the so-so quality, the scanner was on top of it all giving me a hard time.

Trying not to care much about what I actually draw;
    neireth's walking in circles - (updated Aug 21st!)

Yay for boring classes;

Onto something I've never done before.... anatomy studies using reference!
    Pretty crap, but it's a start.

~30 mins

~10-20 mins

C&C highly welcomed!!

~M.
    Last edited by Neireth; September 8th, 2006 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks
    Hi Neireth, I think that you make very good progress! I like image a lot
    and your avatar is very nice.
    Keep more life drawing, cheers

Thanks
    Dreamworker - Thank you for your kind comments.

A SP from yesterday evening. Was lots of fun, you see so many things about the face you never had the chance to look at closely before. Think I nailed the most of it, even though I had a bit of a harder time with the lower part of the face. Happy about it over all though.
    Thinking of working on it a bit more, but I dunno.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

~M.

Thanks
    hey, thanks for the comment in my book.
    I like this page http://web.telia.com/~u46126428/s01.JPG
    On the last portrait, the shading and proportions look quite good(although the chin is a bit large).
    One thing you could do to make it better, is remove the dark line around her face and just leave the shading there.

Thanks
    Hello, Neireth. You have a very bold imagination, very interesting ideas and characters. As very often people who draw from imagination have some difficulties with drawing from models or ref. I don't know how it works, but it seems that knowledge we store in our brains, memory or fantasy is different from information we get from our eyes, I suspect they processed in different parts of our brain. Very rare artists develop their observation skills and imagination drawing on the same level. In your case in my opinion ( which might be wrong) I would say you have stronger ability to create believable and proportionally correct character from your mind than when you draw from ref or model. Very many images drawn from life or ref in your book have some slight proportional distortion.

For example Charlie Chaplin portrait. Even before I started to search for your ref in Google I knew that you made his face much longer than he had. His nose was shorter and his eyes a bit farther from the middle of his face. Still similarity is very good.
    You lowered his shoulders too much, in my opinion, and the Angle of the shoulders is wrong. If you knew it already that it is very good, it means your observation skills are fine, you were just not precise enough.
    His forehead is bigger and taller in ref and overall you made his head too big comparing to the puny body. It will work actually, I think he wanted this effect himself, creating the sympathetic and funny character. I just want to make sure that when you draw from model or ref you notice and try to keep the same angle, or size of negative space, or distance as you see in model. That's what observation skills are all about, noticing distances and angles. That's what I think.

All your figure drawings have the same proportional error, in my opinion, too thin and short legs comparing to the rest of the body. You don't have this error when you draw from imagination.

http://web.telia.com/~u46126428/talros.JPG This is my favorite drawing from you, very nice composition on paper, very good pose and details. Just foreshortening of its legs looks wrong to me. When I'm trying to stretch its left leg in my mind, I see the knee will be on different height with the other leg.

http://web.telia.com/~u46126428/sigmar.JPG The same with this character, I like it very much, but foreshortening makes me look closer at him, make my eyes stop looking at anything else. I would suggest to draw more of fore shortenings, it is really fun to catch them perfectly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ches/0601a.jpg Lines are very pretty in this page, especially on the top drawing. But I have to say, I think you draw slowly and very consciously. Your lines flow very slowly , so do my thoughts when I looked at your artwork. And it makes me feel that you are very tense. And it make me tense.

Your portrait is very nice. If you look like this you are very beautiful. If you are up to some crits, I would say the inner corner of your right eye it too curved, should be calmer rise, I think, I would press my pencils less too. All the best
    Sveta

Thanks
    blanquish - Thanks. Although I don't know if I can agree with you about the chin, it looks like that more or less. *grins* Never said it was small, but never heard it might be a bit large either. But who knows, hehe.
    Point taken about the dark line.

sve - Hello Sve! Very nice of you to stop by (a very pleasant surprise), thank you.
    And yes, you are right about my the proportions when the study is from reference. I often begin quite big, erase, and start over, this time smaller. The old picture is still in my head, but I gradually remind myself that it's the new sketch I'm supposed to draw, and I guess that's why the legs or other parts are thinner than the rest. Or it might simply be because I feel that drawing from reference is rather boring (although quite important...), as I feel like I have to draw within a certain frame, I have a certain line I can't cross. I hope I'm not making you confused.
    You nailed pretty much everything I did wrong with the Chaplin picture, and now I see even more where I should've gone back and started over. The neck for example is now too long for his small shoulders that are too far down. And the head seems much bigger and heavier that way. My observation skills are a bit rusty, but hopefully I'm (slowly) getting there.
    Often when I draw I am indeed very tense, often thinking that it should look perfect before I can even like it a bit. Which is very silly, as I end up disliking it more than my loose sketches. Nowadays I'm not trying to think about how much it'll end up looking like, more that I enjoy myself and that I'm able to move on.
    I think the right eye should be a tiny bit further down as well in the SP, since the face is in that angle. Or well, it seems too high up and too "stiff" right now. But I don't know... I'm not entirely happy about the mouth either, I made it look like I'm a bit pissed.
    Thank you yet again for your criticism and thoughts, you are very kind taking your time for such an insightful post, I can't say how much appreciated it was. Made me think about one or two things.

Decided to "finish" my SP, or at least work on it a bit more. Hopefully it looks better now, or at least more fleshed out.

Sorry for only updating with one pic, hopefully there will be a bigger batch this week..
    Last edited by Neireth; September 11th, 2006 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    that last one looks way better now. Great job. the rest off your SB is very cool stuff.

just realy intresseting stuff here. like that guy with that had and the little mustach! no crit's.

Thanks
    Oh man that Chaplin drawing is fantastic! SP is also looking really good, keep it up!

Thanks
    saved almost everyone of your drawings under the "great art reference wanna i really wanna be folder" this a style i love and hope to master in the next few years
    btw im 17 too, check out my sketchbook thread good to see some more young kids around here
    -Dimi

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast