Hello ConceptArt! I've been working as a graphic designer here in the Philippines for a year now and I want to move into the world of Concept Art for games, movies and the like.
The gaming industry is just starting out here in the Philippines, and I've recently applied for Flipside Games. But they're not impressed with what I showed them through email, coz I'm not getting any response. It would be great if I could get some tips from you guys on what to do to improve my chances on getting hired as a concept artist in the future. I dont really have anything on my portfolio yet that gives a hint that I even wanna be a concept artist. I've just recently started practicing and improving my craft.
Here are a couple of questions to get this started:
1) How should my portfolio look like? Should I put in only concept art or add a couple of finished illustrations in there too?
2) What are the varieties that I can put in there? Do they like robot designs as opposed to magic and swords?
3) And if ever I do get an interview in the future, what kind of tests should I prepare for? Speed paints? Redesign your favorite character?
4) I've been a graphic designer for a year now for a wedding/advertsing photography studio and have been doing book illustration jobs, web design, and Flash 2D animations on the side for different clients. Which of these would help me in pursuing a position as a concept artist?
5) What 3d program(s) should I start practicing on that'll help me get a job as a concept artist?
Man, I think a job as a concept artist for movies, games and stuff like that is the coolest job in the world. I want to pursue a career in it. Your tips will help me greatly.