Sketchbook: John's Sketchbook.
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: John's Sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

John's Sketchbook.

Hmmm... I just stumbled across this site recently, and I'm amazed at the artists here. ^^

I've drawn lots of stuff before, but I've never really done too many serious studies of anatomy or proportions or anything. Looking through the site at how great everyone here is, it inspired me to try and improve myself and learn more. I'm not really a very good artist right now, but I hope to change that somehow.

I've been scribbling out my hand a bunch of times for now. I've also found the Loomis figure drawing book, and I'm working my way through that right now. Am I going about this the right way? I'm going to try to draw new stuff as much as I can. I really want to improve.

Last edited by John325; March 14th, 2006 at 04:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got a couple more things to put. One is another study of putting the proportions in perspective from the Loomis book, and the other is just a bunch of random sketches that I did just for fun, because if all I did was do these studies I'd get bored real fast. XD

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well about the body proprtions ,the shoulders of the woman look big for her and make her look masculine the head is big on the man in the first pic. the perspectives arent that perfect but I think you have just started with the whole fundamentals ,so you will definitely get better with time.
    And you know what, I am also going to learn the basics again and from the same book as yours .But thats after I give my exams .And you should always draw sketches cuz sometimes these studies do get a bit mundane but still we newcomers gotta persevere because thats the only way to get better.
    Keep us updated John

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bhanu: Thanks for the advice! I thought the woman looked kind of bulky, but I couldn't pinpoint exactly why. I'm definitely going to try and persevere through these studies.

I've been finding the figure in perspective pictures really difficult, so I think I should probably start practicing perspective on boxes and things. I have a book on perspective called 'Perspective Made Easy' so I think I'm going to start working through that alongside the Loomis book.

I've got a couple of more pictures here. Another picture of my hand, and a couple more things from the Loomis book. I tried to make the hand less scribbly than the ones in my other drawings up top.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In your latest pic the muscles between the thumb and the index finger arent done properlyand you have given improtance to the wrong muscles too,and the thumb isnt in the right position for this perspective, take a look at loomis' head an hands book, there isnt much in figure drawing book for close up of hands.And a good way to learn perspective is this.You have images of your environment in your mind ,dont you? like your room,your house from the outsde,your neighbourhood etc, so first learn from the book ,then from those images in your mind make the drawing also keeping in mind the concepts of the book. then take a pic of the environment from the same perspective and compare the pic with your drawing and see where you have gone wrong.
    And also you buy a book which specializes in perspective.
    You can check out these books.
    David Chelsea's book
    Earnest W Watsons' book

Last edited by bhanu; March 15th, 2006 at 07:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice drawings here. Do more of that Loomis stuff, they look prety cool allready.

Cheers!

Check put my schetchbook if you please
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61551

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bhanu: Yeah, the hand does look a bit off. I'll take a look at the head and hands book for hand anatomy. My hand kept rotating slightly as I was drawing it, and I think it threw me off. Thanks for the suggestions of the perspective books too. I'll look into getting them.

T-Raktor: Thanks. I'm working on more of the Loomis stuff now.

Anyways, as of now I've got some more sketches from life, some more Loomis sketches, and an attempt at boxes in perspective that I ended up getting bored on and added lots of random weird stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally loved your perspective pic ,i dont feel like criting about your art let the more experienced ones handle that.And also the mannquins are nice too.I really like twisted ones.
    Keep posting.And check my sketchbook too.

Last edited by bhanu; March 16th, 2006 at 01:19 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.