Art Schools in Ohio/Pennsylvania

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Schools in Ohio/Pennsylvania

I'm a senior in high school (yeah I'm really behind schedule, I know) I'm looking to get into Conceptual Art or Storyboarding or something, but i seem to be having a heck of a time finding something in the area. I live in Northeast Ohio, around the Canton area (Football Hall of Fame). I was thinking about taking Game Art and Design at Pittsburgh Art Institute, but i think Illustration would get me more of what I want, so I'm also looking at Columbus College of Art and Design. Any help would be much appreciated!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu 88
    I'm a senior in high school (yeah I'm really behind schedule, I know) I'm looking to get into Conceptual Art or Storyboarding or something, but i seem to be having a heck of a time finding something in the area. I live in Northeast Ohio, around the Canton area (Football Hall of Fame). I was thinking about taking Game Art and Design at Pittsburgh Art Institute, but i think Illustration would get me more of what I want, so I'm also looking at Columbus College of Art and Design. Any help would be much appreciated!
    If you're interested I teach one brutally toguh class strictly on storyboards up in Detroit at the College for Creative Studies and we're getting our grads out in the concept world pretty regularly now. I just had three grads land at Pandemic, another at Studio 7 and another at Midway in Chicago.

We're ramping up the program even bigger and badder if I have any say in it. Think about it if you haven't.

http://www.ccscad.edu/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, my sister goes to school in Canton at Malone (Tangent)
    For the love of God goto CCAD. Story boarding in our media studies department is awesome. I'm a senior animation student here working on my own short. We have a rigorious (and I mean rigorious) character design class that is much like the army, it tears your down and builds you up. This probly sounds bad but it is actually really good for you. I have to go but I'll post more later tonight gota get to class.
    some of my character design stuff can be found here ghoest.deviantart.com
    I'd be happy to share more w. you
    email me- nburkard.1@ccad.edu

What Jesus doesn't reliaze is that it is the meek that are the problem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks both of you! I appreciate this greatly and will look into both of your suggestions. By the way thug_murder, what is your sister taking at Malone, I have some friends who go there i think for Zoology or something of that nature. Do either of you know anything about Scholarships at the mentioned schools, I realize taht I probably missed the deadlines, but I'd like to know anyway. Also, do you know about the application deadlines for this fall? Once again, you help is much thanked for. If either of you would like to see some of my work its posted at baka-bushi.deviantart.com, because my scanner is funny, i dont have much up, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a half ride... let them look at your porfolio and they usually give something depeding on how good you are. That was a nice illustration on your deviantart page. I'm not sure aboot the deadlines but I know when I transfered I got something and it was kinda short notice.
    Things about porfolio
    -BE ORGANIZED (they love that shit)
    -Figure drawing figure drawing figure drawing... you'll be doing alot of it in freshman year. SO make sure you have a sketchbook and any still life / nude experience you have.
    -Mount on muntboard when possible... you'll be doing alot of that also
    -Media Studies is the best major ;D but we're known for our illustration classes. However animation is like illustration but with a broader tool set.

Anyways, nothing to be worried about... drop by here on the weekday and get a tour of our faciluties. My sister is a psych major in her freshman year in Malone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a visit scheduled for Tuesday at CCAD.
    And I do know that I have missed the deadline for a scholarship there.
    One question, though: How exactly do you organize a portfolio? Its not like any of my pieces are related. My art teacher and I put them in order so that we thought that they would be most impressive.
    As far as figure studies goes...No problem, my teacher believes that I have a high aptitude for figure study and i have a few studies in my portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu 88
    I have a visit scheduled for Tuesday at CCAD.
    And I do know that I have missed the deadline for a scholarship there.
    One question, though: How exactly do you organize a portfolio? Its not like any of my pieces are related. My art teacher and I put them in order so that we thought that they would be most impressive.
    As far as figure studies goes...No problem, my teacher believes that I have a high aptitude for figure study and i have a few studies in my portfolio.
    Show them the strongest stuff. No fillers; nothing even remotely weak- that one weak piece will end up dragging down all the others.

As far as organization of the book, it's all personal choice. I try to use the Broadway show analogy- start off with your best piece, show how you got to it (the plot) and then come back with the big finale. Be sure to include drawing from observation, figurative work and some personal vision in all of this. They're not looking for superstars neccesarily (although it never hurts if you are!) but they want people who have a good firm foundation with a grasp on composition, tone and drawing ability. Prove that and you should be in without too much grief.

Also are you presenting slides or a digital portfolio? I would almost prefer you do it this way as opposed to sending or bringing your actual pieces. Not that it happens often but why take a chance that someone in their Admissions office spills coffee or has an accident with YOUR original pieces. Besides this way also gives you an opportunity to send your pieces off to multiple schools for application.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you do decede to go digital.. make sure you have something like a laptop to present it on... or burn it to a dvd slideshow or something. Don't assume they have the tech there (more brownie point tips ;D)...
    as for organization strong stuff first and make sure everything else doesn't look like crap compared to that. Honestly I just brought in my still life drawings and some illustrations when I went there.... lots of charcoal. But I had them each partitioned off by large pieces of black thick paper and a porfolio case to store them in. Just give the impresion you know what your doing and where you want to take the show. Have some general sense of where you want to go in college also (illustration maybe). This can and probly will change during your stay at CCAD but they like that too. I came for graphic arts and am graduating as an animator.

Good luck don't worry everything will be fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He he he. Thanks guys, I'm going to be leaving here in about half and hour or so. Maybe I'll run into you when I'm there thug_murder, not that I'd recognize you; my appointment is at 2:30.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we're on spring break
    but good luck anyways

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thug_murder
    if you do decede to go digital.. make sure you have something like a laptop to present it on... or burn it to a dvd slideshow or something. Don't assume they have the tech there (more brownie point tips ;D)...
    My suggestion would be to send an Adobe Acrobat PDF files and include the free Adobe Acrobat reader which is readily available on the Adobe site. Theoretically anyone with a computer should be able to open in and all you'd have to send is just a disk. But call the Admissions people & ask- simple as that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all your help, it went very well, despite the lack of people on campus. And, wow, it was real easy to find.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah we were all on spring break
    good for you and good luck

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.