Art: Fairies, Robots, Heads, People, Thingers (lots of images)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fairies, Robots, Heads, People, Thingers (lots of images)

Hello, fellow CA'ers. I've got a lot to share with you, so I hope you guys will enjoy the imagery. And yes, I won't mind it if you guys don't bother reading the text. :-p

So about a month ago, I was talking to Jason Chan and I asked him to suggest some things to include in my portfolio. Jason being the good friend that he is, told me to draw a bunch of heads. So I thought that was a good idea. So I did 20 that night. The next day I cleaned them up in PS.

I showed them to Jason and what did he say? Do more characters and more heads. So I did 16 characters and 6 heads that night.

And just to ensure that he wouldn't ask me to do more work (he did..), I colored two of the heads.

Jason seemed satisfied. A few days later I was working on a freelance illustration and I was in the process of planning out one more final illustration that I wanted to include in my portfolio. I was asking Jason for some suggestions. And he was getting carried away and suggesting some really cool stuff. So I just asked him to be my art director for this illustration. Ok. So here's the really exciting part.

So Jason came up with this story/concept for a video game. And basically it starts off in a forest that's being ran over by baddies. The fairies who live in the forest are helpless and they don't know what to do. Then one day a band of fairies run into a warmachine. Heh. And this warmachine has been left deactivated in the forest for hundreds of years. And basically the fairies magically grant the warmachine a soul and they use it to defend their forest! Tada!

So Jason asked me to illustrate the scene at which the fairies find the warmachine. So here's some of the work process that we went through.

(more on my site)

So we went ahead and chose a composition that we liked and here's the rough lines that I used to paint over.

And here's the final that Jason critiqued like a million times beforehand.

I have to say that this was the best experience I've ever had. It might be because Jason's a friend of mine, or because I knew I could trust Jason's judgment (even though there were some things we didn't agree on at times), but either way I learned a lot from him and this painting. It took 3 weeks of conceptualizing things out. Mostly because we both had other things to take care of and because we did this over the internet. It took about a week to get the painting done.

So now I'm pretty much done with my portfolio (unless I end up making more portfolio-worthy crap). If you read through all this, then I hope you enjoyed my mundane narrative. If you just scanned through the images and ignored all the words, then you did the right thing. :lol:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like them, they look really nice. I like the mood in the last one, but maybe the light in it is a little too green? I dunno really, but I think a strong green lightsource like that is pretty hard to find in a forest. I suppose it's ment to look like the sun is shining through the leaves and stuff, but I still think it's a little too strong.. Anyways, nice work you got there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like them! But I think it's beter if you place the sketches in a sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the colors in the last one, but I lose alot of the legs, and the arm area. Good luck with it though! I wish J-Chan could be my art director.

Oh! I remembered something else; Alot of your noses on your characters are really wide. Try drawing more referenced noses from a frontal view. Should help a bit. Oh, and I also like the fairies' anatomy. I think that was the best part of the sketches, the turnaround fairies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for showing the process,very cool sketches,and the final one is just
    logical result of very well thought and planned illustration.Very nice.Love your
    color keys.

When I was young, I could do all-nighters in my sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, you got some good things here.
    i like the pallete you use, and alot of your designs are really gorgeous.
    you do however need to work some more on faces.
    keep it right up.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work, I really like your color choices on those pieces, and the thumbs are nicely layed out. awsome!

"There is no expedient to which a man will not go to avoid the real labor of thinking." -Thomas Edison
    Home Page: http://artofphilwohr.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey robin,

some of your best.
    ive seen a lot of development in you lately.
    not just in technically saavy, but in "vision".
    it seems to be a little clearer what you are aiming for.

the colored heads are fantastic, very different for you.
    there is much more modeling of the form.
    keep doing that!

as for the illustration,
    great work, but there are a few things i think may need attention.
    firstly,
    the composition.
    the center is dead. thats a bad area to leave so empty.
    the area between the bots legs is a wonderful place to create overlap and cast shadows.
    a fairie right there could be the focus of the whole piece.
    (im always searching for reason for a cast shadow to fall from one object to another.
    it creates a spacial connection between the two objects.)

secondly,
    the bot doent look old enough.
    it looks like hes resting.
    this is fantasy, push it further.
    give him rust holes, more moss, or plants growing on him.

anyways,
    keep it up.
    you're looking good.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when looking at your heads I can't help but be reminded of Matt Rhodes and his heads for Jade Empire. I love the style and linework.

Quote Originally Posted by Kei-th
    I really like them! But I think it's beter if you place the sketches in a sketch book
    Considering all of her thumbnails and studies lend themselves to the presentation of the final piece, and give good insight into artistic process and her thought process as she concepted it, I think all the sketches in this thread are absolutely relevant.

I'd love to see more heads, and I think DS's crits are spot on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally like the bright green, and the transition it has from green to red. I also like the composition in this a lot. To me this is a masterpeice. But try this, work on a single piece for a month, just force yourself, I mean the painting part in photoshop/painter and just see how it looks. I bet you'll be even more overwhelemed with the results. Anyway sweet work as usual man, keep it up : )

Caricature Tutorial

Junk Tree Paradise, Realistic Cartoon Painting Tutorial made 4 Fun http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...35#post2509135

www.coreyloving.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the responses, guys!

Kaya-Personally, I chose for the light to be more green because it made the image a lot more vibrant. It's a very intense green.

Kei-th- I'd rather have one post showing all my stuff rather than two posts in two different sections of the forum. Plus, I feel they're all relevant.

Pixeldragoon- I think it might be because I have a somewhat wide nose, too. :p I'll be sure to add some variety next time.

goran, Clandestine_IX- Thanks! :-)

Chuck,mate.- What part of the faces need work? Aside from the noses.

Dan!- Yeah, we already covered this yesterday online. BUt thanks, buddy. Maybe I'll have you AD me for an illo some time. ;-)

easy tiger!- Yeah, after I saw the Jade Empire concepts Matt Rhodes posted, I kind of thought that I should do something along those lines. Nice catch :-p

CoreyArt-Yes, sir. I think with the CGChallenge I'll be working on an illustration for much longer than a month...hopefully :-p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kinda envy you for having the friendship of such a great artist.
    You have a new brand of bot design, its quite different. I really like it. I think Ive said it before.
    the development process is also quite entertaining to watch.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.