In the forrest...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

In the forrest...

Finished this about a week ago and didnt have time to post.Thoughts,comments?

In the forrest...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can you post this a bit larger?

-At this pont, the compostion - obviously - is very flat
    Another more dramatic approach could have been from behind the kid who's putting his hands up looking up at the monster/robot that's emerging from the dark forest in the BG
    - You might want to soften up the lower angle of the light...the edge is too solid - theres no dropoff like the top angle
    -Im trying to understand the girl's pose but its hard to tell...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, its a bit flat and i also think the bunny is too distracting, it moves the eye away from everything else

Just Be

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cant quite say i agree with all the crits,but some stuck.thanx for the comments.keep em coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your job isn't to agree, it's just to suck it up and consider it seriously It doesn't matter how long you spent or how hard you thought about it, there's always something you can improve and this site is full of people who know how to do it.

The color you chose for the light is not very bright, so it doesn't look like it would shine nearly as far as you're making it. The dead-on side view is usually a cop-out because you don't want to try something new or more difficult - it's liks a cross-section of a cadaver. Yeah, anatomically correct and you can see everything that's going on - but nothing living is ever that neatly aligned or organized.

In this case, I'm guessing you chose it as a vehicle for the beams of light coming from the robot's eyes. Except it's only one beam - the other eye must be burnt out And there's not similar glow from the mouth even though the color of the light is the same brightness.

The light on the characters is really dull-looking too. The edges are okay, but again, your color choice for the light is such a grayed-out tone that it doesn't look any brighter than anything else in the picture, so it's not very convincing that there's that much influence from the light.

Here I used the dodge tool set to highlights on the light, and then eyedrop a color from the adjusted lightsource and go over some of the highlights. I also dulled the bottom edge of the light. Just makes it a little more realistically-lit.

In the forrest...

You don't have to change this piece if you don't want to, but to get better, consider all the advice you're getting. Choose more dynamic angles and up the contrast and saturation where you want the viewer's eye to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nonie
    Your job isn't to agree, it's just to suck it up and consider it seriously It doesn't matter how long you spent or how hard you thought about it, there's always something you can improve and this site is full of people who know how to do it.

The color you chose for the light is not very bright, so it doesn't look like it would shine nearly as far as you're making it. The dead-on side view is usually a cop-out because you don't want to try something new or more difficult - it's liks a cross-section of a cadaver. Yeah, anatomically correct and you can see everything that's going on - but nothing living is ever that neatly aligned or organized.

In this case, I'm guessing you chose it as a vehicle for the beams of light coming from the robot's eyes. Except it's only one beam - the other eye must be burnt out And there's not similar glow from the mouth even though the color of the light is the same brightness.

The light on the characters is really dull-looking too. The edges are okay, but again, your color choice for the light is such a grayed-out tone that it doesn't look any brighter than anything else in the picture, so it's not very convincing that there's that much influence from the light.

Here I used the dodge tool set to highlights on the light, and then eyedrop a color from the adjusted lightsource and go over some of the highlights. I also dulled the bottom edge of the light. Just makes it a little more realistically-lit.

In the forrest...

You don't have to change this piece if you don't want to, but to get better, consider all the advice you're getting. Choose more dynamic angles and up the contrast and saturation where you want the viewer's eye to go.
    \
    First off,thank you very much for the crits,i appreciate every one i get.you raise alot of good points that i will take to heart.seriously.

please don't misunderstand by when i say i disagree with certain crits.it doesnt mean i'm dismissing them or being cocky or anything.trust me,i am far from it.I actually beleive the people that get crits on here are getting them because people on here see that they can do better.sorry for the rant,looked like you read me wrong when i said"i don't agree with all the crits".on the non humble note tho,i am allowed to and will disagree with a crit if i see fit to just the same way that if someone doesnt like something about my work,they will let me know just the same

nonie you raise excellent points that i should be thinking about and i trust you will continue to check for my work when i post something as you obviously can teach me some things.lol was there anything you liked about it now that i know what to change.(yeah i definatly am gonna change some things)

i'm gonna put about 4 more hours into this painting and post it again to see what you guys think.Thank you for the help guys.

Last edited by CrazyfingerS; March 12th, 2006 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like the Iron Giant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As nonie was suggesting, one of this pieces biggest problems is the value structure of the composition. On your next piece, before you start using any color, I think you should do a tight grey scale study first. If you know your composition's value structure before you get into the color, it will solve a lot of these issues.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.