Thanks

Queries/questions for all that can help D:

Hello o/ Once again, im gonna appear out the blue and ask you inspirational artists some questions D:

1) How do you start drawing from life... in public?
    I mean, I can understand how to do it technically, but i see so often in sketchbooks around here "did these waiting for the train" or "doodled this while at the cafe" and i figured i would really benefit if i cud do that (i take a life drawing class but its the same damn old guy every week >_< i want new fresh subjects)... its just, dont people think you're weird constantly looking at them? lol, I mean, you have to choose a subject, then you've gotta hope they dont feel freaked out you keep staring as you draw, doesnt that get in the way? do you ask them before you start drawing them? what if they leave half way through your sketch? Im just wondering what the best approach to this is.

2) how do you keep sketches in your sketchbook clean?
    I have a problem with my sketchbooks where the pencil seems to rub off onto the opposite page sometimes, and i use pretty good quality pencils (most of the time) it also ruins the contrast in some of my sketches and makes them alot less appealing... Sometimes my sketchbooks fall apart too =\ which isnt great either. Is it because its ring bound and the pages rub together in my bag? Thats the only conclusion i came up with, but i dunno how to stop that.

3) What do you keep your equipment in?
    I'd like to keep my sketchbook on me at all times, and whatever mediums i can carry too, but all ive got at the moment is.. a backpack... ive thought about getting a pencil case (duh), but the standard ones i see just wouldnt fit everything i want in, or the cases of pencils/pens i have. My college tutor suggested getting an old tool box, but i dont feel like carrying that around with me everywhere >_>... With this question, i just want to see what people use for themselves, I need some idea's.

4) When you feel like drawing, but you havent got a clue what to draw, what do you do?
    I do this so much its frustrating, see, sometimes i really feel like drawing, im fully prepared, I get everything ready and im looking at the paper... but i have such a hard time thinking of anything i could draw. All the things that come to mind always seem really generic and boring and i end up doing very little drawing and feeling frustrated with myself.

5) How to design original clothing
    This is something i have a lot of difficulty with my characters, scince all i ever seem to do is head study's or anatomy studies, dressing my characters becomes like a mental block... all i can think is t-shirts, leather jackets, jeans... sometimes i draw the same clothing on my characters just by accident because im so use to it >_<. Has anybody got any suggestions? Particulary for girls because its hard to draw anything appealing to wear for women (i find).

6) Gestures?
    I find this really hard too, my figures seem to always be in similar positions, or i try something out and it just doesnt flow right, or it just looks too rigid. Sometimes i get a really good idea in my head for a gesture, start to doodle it and it changes to something easier and isnt as good... Its just really hard for me =\

Well, thats it for now, If anybody has anything to suggest/contribute i'd be very happy to hear from you. I dont post much at this forum, mostly because the artwork is at such a high standard i dont feel i can critique or have anything worth while to say. I would like to post more around here, its such an excellent source for inspiration
    Thanks, Dave

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    1) How do you start drawing from life... in public?
    draw fast.
    most people WILL be weirded out, but dont really mind.
    the key is, when they look at you, SMILE and nod to your sketchbook.
    they'll get it.

2) how do you keep sketches in your sketchbook clean?
    krylon workable fixative.
    crystal clear is good too.
    but you can paint ontop of the workable fixative better. (should you ever want to)

3) What do you keep your equipment in?
    my sketchbook is too big to fit in most bags (11x17),
    so i made a pouch for it.
    i bought a pencil pouch and sewed a fat waist elastic around it.
    it fits snuggly around my sketchbook and holds everything.
    cost me about $3

4) When you feel like drawing, but you havent got a clue what to draw, what do you do?
    i keep lots of books, and a folder on my comp full of inspiration.
    looking through it is enough to make me say:
    "man, i want to do something THAT good!"

5) How to design original clothing
    same as #4, get books with good costumes:
    "dressing a galaxy", or "fruits" for instance.

6) Gestures?
    we draw what we know.
    if i just start drawing without thinking, i almost always start out the same way.
    eventually it turns into the same drawing i always draw.
    break the pattern.
    look at new things, draw things you dont like to draw, draw from life.
    step outside of your old habits.
    Last edited by DSillustration; March 12th, 2006 at 03:44 PM.
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Hey David. I hope this helps
    Although what Dan is telling you will have alot more merit. Heheheh
    1) If you're going to let paranoia get in the way of your art, I think you're going to be putting yourself through alot of needless trouble. Just ask yourself what's more important: life drawing skills, or what some random people you will never see again think of you.

2) I had the same smudging problem, too. I bought some fixative spray for paper finishes. It seriously cuts down on the smudging. Although it's not something you can use in public. It's EXTREMELY pungent and toxic when first sprayed. It was actually banned from the art school in my city because of that. It's best to go outside after you've finished a couple pages and give them all a light spray. I think too much spray both starches to paper so it loses it's flexibility, and makes some graphite glisten a bit, it's weird.

3) I actually got a new bag just for this. Went out and bought a shoulder bag for laptops. It can even carry those super large black hardbound sketchbooks.. And they usually have compartments for peripherals, which is there I'll keep my pencils. And usually I'll keep inks (if I'm feeling really old that day) in another compartment in a ziplock bag, incase it spills. They have alot morespace than I thought, I can carry 2 sized sketchbooks and 2 or 3 referrence / study books with me all the time.... and room for a gameboy

4) A good idea that soeone told me once is to get a book like "George Bridgeman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life", and just try to copy images from the book. And then after that, Look at the same picture in the book, close it, and try to draw it from memory. If you're not feeling creative, might as well work on technical skill.

5) It may feel a bit akward, but go into a bookstore and get some magazines for refs. Most large bookstores (Chapters / Barnes & Nobles) should have a women's interests section. These will usually have alot of fashion / hairstyle magazines. There is a magazine called Hong Kong fashion, that has some stuff that it really out there. Really gets the imagination going.

6)Gestures? There are some people on the site who have plenty of great examples of gestures. Kevin Chen, |ntern, RebeccaK. Try copying some of the gestures they are doing? Maybe that will give you an idea of where to start.

Cheers!
    -Loren
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Too much good advice already, so I'm just going to add to 3.

I designed this and had my wife sewed it. Since all I generally have is a backback, as well, I wanted something I wouldn't have to worry over. I have narrow pockets for all my gear and I put the flap down, roll it up, pull the stretchy bits over the ends and toss it in.

Oh, and for number 4, there are too many activity threads here to be bored. Even if you don't submit (which I recommend you do), you can play along at home.

Thanks
    Some top questions and answers there! Many questions of my own were answered Cheers guys.
    Bin thinking about buying the books "fruits" and "fresh fruits". So i think I'll sacrifice a night out (ok im lying I never have a night out ) and buy em

Thanks
    Omg i cant believe how much the questions you've asked sound exactly like the Frustration and confusion that is spinning around my head. ALL those problems you mentioned are the problems i face..especially 4. and 5. Well done on posting this David and thanks for answering him DSillustration, Interceptor and dogfood

Thanks
    5; Think of what makes clothes interesting; Strings, hoods, cuffs, buttons, pockets, collars, snaps, zippers, undershirts, long sleeve shirts underneath shortsleeve shirts, poofy jackets, rolled up sleeves, rolled down sleeves, no sleeves, tank tops, stripes, plaid, polkadots, simple shape designs, Cargo pants, Cargo shorts, two-toned things, underarmor (That elasticy black underclothing stuff), hats, caps, backwards caps, bandages, watches, bandanas, Tucked in shirts, tucked out shirts, vests, trenchcoats, kimonos, gi(samaurai uniform pretty much), scarves, knive sheaths, gun holsters, tool belts (think batman), capes, short capes, long capes, tiaras, crowns, buckles, straps, shoulder pads, knee pads, short gloves, long gloves, finger gloves, shades, glasses, pony/rat tailed hair, nose rings, finger rings, necklaces, jewlery, ties, cigarettes, converse sneakers, hightops, low tops, nikes, running shoes, skating shoes, dress shoes, adventure boots, cowboy boots, golashes, high socks, low socks, no socks, overalls, feet clothing (Pants with built in shoe things), high boots, studded jewlery, backpacks, satchels, ammo, ribbons, big poofy ballroom dresses, small normal long dresses (with various designs, example, have a black stripe near the top or something), short skirts, tight pants, capris, short shorts, belts, running jackets, miscellaneous things hanging out of pockets, chains, wallets, keys, rolled back cuffs, etcetra.

Hope that helped.

BTW, the "correct" spelling of fruits magazine is FRUiTS. Don't ask =P Try searching for Takeshita references. It's a street in Japan that is all about fashion.

Good luck!

Thanks
    great thread, given me alot of answers as well; thanks guys for drawing in public I'm pretty new to it myself, but I usually try to be in a pretty populated area (definitely easier in a city environment) and that way I blend in a bit better. alot of times I end up drawing people from the back or in profile; not as much details, but it's better than nothing. DS is definitely right though, a few times people have noticed me and they usually just smile and blush a little. Hope I was able to help a little bit, and good luck to ya man.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the awesome replies guys D: im in debt to you all, and thanks Pixeldragoon Thats one mighty list of inventive clothing! I've copied most of it onto the back cover of my current sketchbook =P. I'll have to try out head nod still, im glad im not the only one with these problems in mind, i just gotta take the plunge and try it out sometime. I'll think about doing the activities here too when i cant figure out what i wanna draw =P there are some real crazy ones about. I'll have to look for some fixative next time i go up town, i hope its not too expensive though , i didnt know that you could fix just pencil work, i thought it was only for chalks/charcoal (sp?) and pastels. Im gonna strive to step out of my old habits for drawing too, do the people round here mind if i ever use their work as a reference? i mean some of the gestures i see i really want to learn myself, i just hope nobody minds me making copies of their work in my sketchbook D:. The only problem now is the whole equipment container problem... I might try something similar todogfood's approach, only problem is im no good at sewing If i fail at that i'll probably get a shoulderbag =P

thanks again all o/
    Thanks, Dave