the lovers

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: the lovers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the lovers

This is a commission I've been working on for a couple days. Eventually, it'll have a forest background as the setting - it's cropped down right now to just the characters. He's supposed to have wings for arms, but they're not all drawn in yet. I'll make some fixes in Photoshop after I've finished all the inkwork. Any crits and comments most appreciated

the lovers

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not much to crit
    only her left hand looks a little cut off

great style

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice linework!

agree with aboce poster about the hand. also, her eyes seem to look in different directions....

and my attention is drawn to her right shoulder for some reason, some linework there that seems abit too heavy.

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There really isn't much to crit that hasn't already been critted This piece is solid -can't wait to see how it develops. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks dudes! These are good crits - I'll put them on my list of fixes. Will post more when I've got it done.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, bluefooted. I'm not sure if i should open my mouth, because it is really a beautiful image. But you put it here for public display, so i guess you want to hear the impressions.

The title of the drawing is The lovers. I see their relationship as gentle and very private, almost shy. Not physical at all.

The faces you chose for them are very closed ones, very reserved, not open readily for everyone to look deep inside them. So what i can tell about their faces is that the girl is dreamy and very effeminate, cozy, she has her own magic world and she lives in it rarely going outside of it. Sure with personality like this she needs her own knight always near her, who understands and adores her light, ethereal essence.

And here she has him on her side. Young, but with a little tiredness already in his face and especially pose, a bit bent like from a burden, as I see it . He doest' look any rough, but there is some force in his face, but it's more like a power of patience and love, which is used to wait and be tolerant of his loved one shortenings.

Her pose is lovely, a bit playful, a bit enchanted. I especially like her gentle elbows and narrow shoulders. There is something childlike in her appearance. And in boy's appearance too, actually, his shoulders are not wide either, he needs some strength from outside too, and his little girl probably gives it to him, in some way. Probably just being happy, and careless, and not having to deal with a rough life outside.

So I like everything so far, the poses are very nice, him protected her from strong winds, her playing without any thought in her sunny world.

There is something in their faces that distracts me, maybe because their eyes are a bit blank, stature-like, you made them all black, so they don't have any strong expression, the poses and gestures give the most information.

And I think the image a bit too dark and lines are a bit too thick, but maybe you wanted it this way.
    Overall it is a beautiful image.

How's Venus coming along? I hope to see the progress on her too.
    Thank you very much, always a pleasure to see your art
    Sveta.

BTW, I always wonder about your name, bluefooted, I see the image of a little puppy with his little paws steeped in some puddle of blue paint. Is it even close ?

Last edited by sve; March 16th, 2006 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ncie pic

about the hand maybe you could just add a line to show where the wrist starts to make the hand seem a better size. i think you could sort it out without too much trouble.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sve - Thanks! You always write out such insightful crits Basically, the relationship you described between the characters is exactly what I was going for. The pic's for a short story that's basically about a young girl (not the one in the picture) who stumbles into a sort of alternate/fairy type world. Two of the characters she meets are the wood-fey (the girl in the picture) and her lover, a crow. The author wanted them to seem very alien to the human girl and sort of closed off from her, inscrutable, I guess. I hope that's how they appear.

As for the name 'bluefooted' it comes from one of my favorite birds - the bluefooted booby

oven g love - thanks, I've been unsure about how to fix that hand. It's a good suggestion.

Members who have read this thread: 2