Environment

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Environment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Environment

I just needed to preface this piece by saying it had a dual purpose. It is the concept design for a submarine interior to be built in 3D, and for some animated 3d scenes this image will also be projected on a dome inside the submarine to create the illusion (when glimpsed through the portholes) that you're seeing the sub interior (don't want to use processor to 3D render the whole interior, in scenes where you only get brief glimpses of it through the portholes.) So I know this isn't the most dynamic camera angle possible, but that wasn't really a choice. That's also why there is heavy distortion (curvature) at the top of the scene (to compensate for the curve of the dome it's going to be projected on). Now that I've thoroughly confused everyone:
    Environment

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    overall I like it. but i think there's a few things you can do to improve it.

the perspective is odd. it sorts of like looking at the scene through a concave lense. the edges taper off unnaturally.

i think if you lit the scene with a top-middle light, instead of a two lights on the each side, it might look more interesting. the main focus, the center, is completely unlit. There's also more intriguing stuff to look at in the center, and it might clear up that concave distortion since the edges will be in the dark.

looks pretty good tho.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That box of meters on the left really stands out as being oriented at a different angle to the wall. About that ladder, the vertical bar closer to us should be thicker than the one further away, you ought to fix that. Also, you are gonna change the colors of what's outside the windows right and the visor for that scope right?

Other than that, I can see some minor irregularities, (windows and wheels on the pipe not the same size and shape for example) but I don't think that should be of concern.

I like this piece, looking forward to the update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you should make the periscope stand out more , that way the angles seems more clear, atleast to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
it looks good, but it also look dodge/burn tool to me..
but good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with Dile, your pic would improve with less dodge/burn... i really like this though, cool concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for all the comments so far.
    ParkerD:
    as I said at the top, the distortion (curvature) is because this is going to be projected onto a dome inside a 3D submarine (so on the curved surface it will straighten out considerably.) As for the lighting choice, that was a trade-off. I wanted the panel lights in the center to "Pop" so I chose to darken it there.

Mort:
    did you mean bring it forward (towards the viewer) or just have more light on it (to seperate it from what's behind it)?

Jeri:
    I'm looking at the box and I don't see it. Does it look like the top of the box should tip towards the viewer or the bottom? Great call on the ladder BTW, I'll fix that tomorrow. Also, could I ask what looks wrong about the color outside the window and the scope visor? I can't see the problem (I guess I've just been looking at this thing too long.)

Dile & Jorgen:
    sorry if it looks that way, but there is absolutely no dodge or burn anywhere on this piece. I hate the way dodge & burn look in a painting and I never use them. Don't use filters either. It may be that there is just too much contrast over all and that's what's making it look that way? Do you think that could be it?

Thanks again to all for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by inspector Lee; March 14th, 2006 at 12:51 PM.

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.