Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Which is better? PhotoShop or Painter?

Which is better photoshop, or painter?
    -Rolo
    p.s. I am realy confused with difference. (I own Photoshop)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I can't say which one is better, but I seem to prefer using painter for my digital painting. I have both photoshop and painter. I usually use painter to do all the work since it seems to imitate the real thing/painting very well, and then I do the final touch/edit in photoshop to give the effect that painter can't.

YOu can go to the Corel ( www.corel.com ) site and download a free trial version (it has all the feature just like a full version).

Thanks
    thanks, I'll chech it out.

Thanks
    It's personal preference all the way. I would say usually those who paint traditionally like Painter more, and those who like drawing more prefer photoshop. It's all specualtion to me though. I think Photoshop definitely has a better layout, but painter has a nice engine that is familiar to many traditional painters.

Thanks
    Better with what?... Digital painting?... Photo-editing?... Graphic design?... I haven't used Photoshop much, but I think it's one of the best for almost everything 2D graphics but page layout and logo-making...
    LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    It's like asking the difference between oils and watercolors. They are each thier own mediums with individual attributes and weaknesses.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Neither is better. Its all about what you can do with both programs seperately. If you feel more comfortable with PS use that, if you feel more comfortable with painter, use that.

For me i use both and sometimes combine results.

Justin.

Thanks
    I prefer both in my workflow, but for gestural sketches I prefer painter because you can freely rotate the canvas on the fly (hold Space+Alt)

ras
    Don't hate, fornicate!

This Is What I Was Thinking

Thanks
    Last I had time to do anything digital, Painter had better brushes and texture (though I hear the newest version of PS is trying to mimic that?), but Photoshop has better memory management skills. I use both equally, depending on what I need to get done.

Thanks
    Thanks guys! (I was asking cus, I was thinking of getting painter, after I get better in my sketches/drawings.)
    -Rolo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldragoon
    It's personal preference all the way. I would say usually those who paint traditionally like Painter more, and those who like drawing more prefer photoshop. It's all specualtion to me though. I think Photoshop definitely has a better layout, but painter has a nice engine that is familiar to many traditional painters.
    untrue. i know several painters, who paint traditionally (including myself) who use photoshop almost exclusively. if you like lots and lots of sliders that could/couldnt determine how the brush looks, lots of fancy brushes that wont get you any closer to good picture making, crashes, and a ui that leaves much to be desired, then painter is for you. photoshop is simple elegant, hardly ever crashes, and you can do 10000000's more things in it. dont get me wrong, i used painter 6 for years, but i have been all ps for about the past year and a half, and my life is much much better. its like this, if i wanted to learn watercolors, i would buy and use watercolors, not acrylics that have been formulated to act more like watercolors. if u want to learn digital picture making, photoshop is the end all. other drawing/painting programs just seem a little gimmicky to me. but its all a matter of opinion.i can say with some authority that i have been around the block and then some when it comes to picture making materials, and in my opinion, the way, the light, the truth, is photoshop -c36

Thanks
    yeah, but coro, what do you really think?

I haven't use the full Painter, just a lamed up bundle, and it's OK. but for painting, i tend to stick w/ P-shop, 'cause i'll end up there anyway sooner or later. i've been using it since v3, so it's like a second home, and it has a huge range of capabilities that can really amplify the basic painting (not, not filter gimicks, the other stuff ) and stability counts for a helluva lot. the laments i've heard about Painter crashes make me cautious about upgrading.
    Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    I jump back & forth between the two. There are certain features I really like in Painter but then Photoshop rocks with other tools. Either one of them gets the job done so it's not a big deal nor is it a contest as to who's better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by el coro
    other drawing/painting programs just seem a little gimmicky to me.
    Yeah, I feel the same way. Each time I try painter, I look for the dial that turns down the "lame" and the "cheesy" but I've yet to find that mythical dial.
    -₪╢ ǾЯĊǺŦŖΛŻ ╟₪- ~orc

Thanks
    I use both for different things. I tend to use painter for characters. It feels richer to me than PS for characters. But use PS exclusivley for environments. The way the PS brush can lay down value and control it so easily makes it my choice for enviro's. And the final result is PS environments always feel way more real, to me anyways.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast