Sea-though WIP (caution nudity)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Sea-though WIP (caution nudity)

Alright so I've been working on this art piece for a while now and I plan to put it in my portfolio.

I need help with the anatomy because I'm not that goot at it
    Keep in mind that I haven't done the hands or feet yet but suggest anything you wish. (I'll be adding mor to the hair later)

Thank you.
    Sea-though  WIP (caution nudity)

Last edited by CopyWrite; March 11th, 2006 at 10:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's still a little early for me to tell how this is going to turn out, but there are a few things I see happening:
    • The perspective is off. If you were to draw parallel lines across the figure, they'd all go to different vanishing points (e.g., a line from one side of her pelvis to the other would not vanish to the same point as a line through her ankles or knees).
    • It looks like you're going for a 3/4 view, but it's hard to tell. The top half is at an awkward angle compared to the bottom half, but that might just be because the perspective is off.
    • The arms are a bit too long, and the hands too small (though I know you said you weren't finished with the hands). The knees are too big, and the shins too short (and the feet are too small, but again, you said you weren't done with them).
    • The head is too wide, and it looks a little flat. Plus, it's resting too far back on the neck. In that position, we probably shouldn't be able to see that much of the neck (if any of it at all).
    • There's not really much of a value range across the entire figure, and a lot of the forms are looking flat. I count about two (maybe three) distinct values, and there should be between four and six for a fully rendered figure. Even if you want to go more minimalistic, there should be a much greater difference between the lightest and darkest values.

Those are the specifics that I can see, but like I said, it's hard to tell at this point how the image will turn out. I'd suggest referencing the pose a little better, or at least getting reference for certain specific areas. Unless you know anatomy very well, it's not really feasible to draw a pose like this straight out of your head. It will always be obvious where you "guessed."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright so I took everything you said into consideration (thanks for the help) and I've tried to fix everything as best I could.

But as you can see I'm struggling with the right (her left) leg, any auggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely looking a lot better. I think you're on the right track with the legs, but it's still looking just a tad unnatural. It's not one or two major errors, but rather a bunch of little things that stem from being unsure about the structure of the leg. I'm mostly in the same boat as you about this sort of thing, so there's not much I can say other than reference the hell out of it. I usually have to get reference for everything I draw. (One day, hopefully, I'll be able to do it out of my head...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At the moment the lower body looks pretty weird. I think you ought to lower that crotch a little because the lower body looked a bit longer than the upper body. Also, the two thighs are clearly of different lengths, and the left thigh is too thin. In fact, the second one looks less correct than the first one in terms of lower body.

The torso bit also looks somewhat strange, I don't think the middle groove of her abs should be that visible (as opposed to the groove of her rib cage, which should is absent on her).

Well, this is as best an opinion I can give based on my rudimentary knowledge on anatomy, perhaps others can give you a more thorough assessment. Btw I think the new angle of her head is better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you
    FoStraight
    and JERI

I took your addvice (as much as I could understand) and came up with what I have now.
    Keep in mind that I still haven't worked on the hands and feet, I've been busy with the cloth

Any suggestions?
    Sea-though  WIP (caution nudity)Sea-though  WIP (caution nudity)

Okay well before you get scared into thinking I've working so hard on the torso and that it will all go to waste because of the cloth I put in, dont worry.
    I forgot to mention my plan for the drawing and here it is.
    Its called Seathrough and I want to make it so that the entire section of where the cloth overlaps her body, she will be a mermaid. everywhere else she''l be human (legs and what not). (the cloth will be seethrough-ish).

Last edited by CopyWrite; March 13th, 2006 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My god, the rendering on that cloth is amazing. Unfortunately, it seems to be in a completely different style than the body. I guess there's still some work to be done, though, so good luck with that! Very promising.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The difference between the thigh lengths ais even larger now. Have you got a reference photo? I'm sure it shouldn't look like that.

The abs looks more natural now btw. Is that little dark spot on the left meant to be the belly button?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JERI
    Belly button yes... is that wrong ?

and. okay, I'll have to fix the legs entirely because I can't seem to get a proper reference, I may just take a picture (like I did with cloth) for a reference.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright everyone, I've done a bit of research and I hope I've got everything done (I'm really anxious to get the creativity started, and complete the anatomy phase, but anywho).

This is what I've done to try and fix everything. Legs.

If you've got any suggestions let me know thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright so I've started on the mermiad bit, and I'll need some feedback...

Do you like the tail?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope to fix (add more detail) to the tail but I don't know if I will, anyways... what should I do for an environment?
    I don't want to do anything underwater because the cloth is suppose to indicate the underwater... maybe a beach? I dunno..

Let me know what you think

(With creepy lookin' background )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her feet dont look like they are holding any wieght. Make it so they are holding her up and not just floating.

Her left arm seems wrong somehow... did you make sure it was an head length from elbow to wrist? and also from wrist to tip of the middle finger should be about 3/4 of an head. So half that and you should get a clentched hand like yours.

The right leg looks off. Looking at her thigh makes me think of an anarexic person, the lower leg seems too long also. The messurement from the pubic arch to the top of the knee should be the same width as the length from the bottom of the knee to the ankle. The Knee itself should be about a palms size.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, i think this is a great concept. the anatomy does seem a little bit off, but all the major points that i can see have already been covered by someone else. keep going with this (she needs a new background). maybe she's in her bedroom, maybe on a beach, or maybe she's in some sort of enviro that's completely inhospitable, and this towel is sorta a window into something unreachable, mystical.... i dunno.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.