Sketchbook: stine's sketchbook -- a portrait a day keeps the doctor away... - Page 15

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome i see someone has been doing some perspective landscape that is awesome!! I've been dabbing in perspective thumbnails the last couple of days. Sorry i have not been posting in several days i've been doing alot of reading. I've been drawing as well but I guess i have currently been too lazy to post anything. I'll post some stuff very very soon. Keep drawing hands i want to see some more hands!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Nice updates since last time i visited stine, your non-digital enviros
looks cool, you should check out Faust's stuff, you have a very
similar style (hm, you maybe already have)
anyways, great stuff stine, just keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashrumm -thanks! looking forward to see your enviros! sorry, no hands this time. hope you like it anyway.

dile - hey thanks for visiting again! i've seen faust's book a while ago, need to go there again eventually. thanks for the tip!

i had some unexpected time this morning, so i kind of finished my digital drapery study. well, i could take it a lot further, but it's already a little tighter than the ones before. baby steps... it's a master study of godward's "la dolce fa niente". i wanted to understand drapery a bit better and this piece seemed ideal because it has dieffernt kinds of fur and fabric, so it's good practise, i think.
    it wasn't my goal to copy every fold, it was more a study to see whether i can use what i've learned in different tutorials and by watching other paintings...

hope, it's convincing...
    here we go:

stine's sketchbook -- a portrait a day keeps the doctor away...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you got it .. maybe a few more highlights ??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that looks great
    how long did it take you so far?

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow man, nice paintings..

excuse all spelling errors
    ----------------------------------------

5KET(H 800K

..M0RE my 5T4FF..
    http://3nasty.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi stine, I love that last master study, man your getting so good. the fur is excellent!! and the image is just beautiful. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice figure studies! Lol, i've been looking at bridgeman alot lately. I just got one of his books from a discount book store for like 3 dollars, super sweet deal. His style has bred alot of amazing artists, especially comic book artists. I really like the simplicity of your last marker study. Keep em coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job Stine!! I really like this work alot as well maybe a few more highlights as someone above has mentioned also but you wrinkels in the drapes you got. Keep up the good work Stine. Wow i am very impressed at your level of improvement with each work. Great job Stine!!! And thank you for remembering my birthday!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wonderful job Stine, keep on pushing out the quality studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot, guys!

dieoxin: yep, you're right, i should lighten some areas of the cloth, especially the "pink" one. lighter values got lost in the blending process again, i guess. really need to work on that work-process to get rd of that. thanks for pointing that out!

infinit: hey there! always nice to have you in my book again! hope, you're doing fine. &#246;&#246;&#246;hm, don't know how much time i actually spent with this painting. was "jumping" all around doing different stuff (work, thesis...), so i never spent more than 30 minutes a piece on it, i think. over all i would say about 6 hours, including reading different tutorials on drapery and studying other paintings...

3nasty - thanks a lot!

ham-e - hey there! welcome back and thanks for the nice comment! that fur was actually quite easy to do and in close-up it shows that it's only different colored spots with some darker lines in it... really strange how that works out in tricking the eye, isn't it? damn, i learned so much from loking at lawrence alma-tadema's work the last couple of days...

ryan de mita - hey, congrats on that cool deal! it's really strange how looking at another artist's work influences your own drawing/painting. it's great for developing some kind of a repertoire, i think... looking forward to see the results in your book!

ashrumm & darktwin - hey there, birthday boys (that's what you say in english, right?)! thanks for having another look and the encouraging comments!

okay, as i already mentioned in ham-e's book, i'll be gone for a week or so. haven't been abroad in years, so i'm really excited (yikes). will visit a friend who just moved to the countryside in switzerland and hope i'll have some time to draw there. sheep and mountains probably, cause that's all there is.

see ya when i get back, cheers

stine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi stine, it is a lot of effort you are puting into art, you seem very determined to improve and that's great .

Your work is also solid, but personally I am not very sure that detailed reproductions (although useful) teach one as much as drawing from life and then from imagination ( wich forces some order into anatomy knowledge ).

Analising a master painting, why certain colors work together, how the master used the brush strokes and so on is great, but going for a detailed reproduction might take a tad too long. Then again it could serve as to keep into the visual memory certain poses/light/colors/ composition layouts.

Could you perhaps share what is that helps you most from these studies ?

Cheers.

Last edited by Oddo; June 14th, 2006 at 07:19 AM.
    Will appreciate critique anywhere, anytime .
    My Ramblings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have a nice trip stine see you when you get back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow that is so damn good! The fur and the folds are looking very nice. Only the foot and the sandal aren't as splendid as the rest of the painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your masters studies are looking great. I really like the environments you did from life too, love to see more of these. I'm amazed at how much progress you've made in the short time I've been following this thread. Keep up the great work.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another beutiful digi Stine. Hmmmmmm Switzerland eh? Smells more like quick gestural drawing at the world cup, yeah you can't fool us .

SKETCHBOOK

Jeff Jones was advised "No piece of art is ever a failure, because you never come away with less than you started with. ''

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Been a long time since I visited your thread,
    YOur improvement is phenomenal.Make sure to stay on the path you are treading on right now.This thread has the potential to get some stars.Just keep pushing and you might get some really soon.
    As for the digis ,they look great.Ashrumms right about the highlights and I thing the draper looka bit confusing try keeping it simpler earlier on.Her hand looks a bit smaller for her , I thik its because of the drapery ,the form of the drapery around the arm isnt much indicative.The feet also look a bit big.There isnt much more I can say cuz I dont do digis other than keep working.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful work, I love seeing your progress and openness in your learning experiences.

I would personally love to see more traditional art from you and less digital. Not becuase I do not enjoy your digital work, but becuase it would most likely work to your advantage in learning your manual art skills (this is my experience and opinion).

b'shalom

Deselect
    עקיבא
    http://sixthirteendesign.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wounderfull study.. Expesially love how you hit the facial expersion. One thing i can see is all the edges are the same soft degree i think you could realyl bring more attention to the face where it is deserved with sharpening it up a bit to.. did a quick over paint
    http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/7...intover7kx.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last one: owesome (poste bigger pictures)

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, wow. so many replies... thanks a lot for stopping by, guys!

oddo - hey there, thanks for having a look. hmmm, always hard to explain what exactly interests me in certain things, but i try to be as accurate as i can with my answer. your question is a good opportunity to sort things in my head, so thanks for asking!
    maybe i'm a very academic person, but whenever i start something new (and i've only been painting for about 1 month now...) i like to look at the history of that certain subject and look for inspiration there. looking at the masters is like some sort of "crash course" in art, i think. it's their way of making complicated things simple - most masters were incredibly effective in trickying the eye and transforming reality into painting, so i guess that's probably what interested me most. and it's one thing looking and understanding how they painted, and a completely different thing actually DOING it. so to make sure i really got it, i chose to try it myself.

another reason (i guess) was that those studies helped me focus and keep working on one piece for a little while, cause i tend to rush things. so my motives for doing those master studies are quite individual. hope i could give a satisfying answer, feel free to ask again!

ham-e: thanks!

ivan - thanks a lot! you're absolutely right, i really need to work on my concentration span and be more accurate...

avatarjimmy - thanks so much for stopping by again!

nii - i'm so glad the team made it to the next round so i can watch the match on the big screen on friday...

bhanu - thanks a lot! are those stars important? i never look at them... guess it's because i started in the photo section and nobody's got any stars there... thanks for the tips on the digital, i'll keep that in mind.

deselect - thanks a lot for stopping by! traditionals are on their way...

seth1 - thanks for the overpaint, you're absoluteley right. i still need to work on the "crispness" of the paintings, it's a problem of mine since the first one...

denysiuk - hmmm, the last painting is something like 850 pixels wide, so i thought that's the maximum for notebook users... or did you mean to show some details? anyway, thanks for having another look!

oookay, finally some "art" again - took my small sketchbook to switzerland to practise other stuff than portraits. there's more to come, but that's all i could scan right now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stine,

these master copies are really good. really nice atmosphere and colours and i like how you kept the highest detail for the face. its really the focal point. the fur in the last one is great, i think the fabric is a bit mushy/less clear defined.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...en-stage03.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...-fa-niente.jpg

i bet you learned tons from doing those...

keep it up!

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back Stine I hope you had a wonderful time on your trip, great landscape sketch by the way. I cannot wait to see more from you. What do you have in store from us next.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
  • wow, stop being so good!! argh.. were do you buy those "beings-so-damn-good-pills" ?? I want some

yeah, you doing great stine! your studies really paying of!!
    keep it up! I wanna se another master painting soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches, cute foot welcome back, hope you enjoyed your trip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot everyone, it's great to be back...

tensai - thanks a lot for having another look, pleasure to have you here.
    i learned a ton, indeed. glad you like it.

ashrumm - thanks so much! love your enviros, wish i could get the perspective right like you do...

dile - you're too kind. don't know whether i'll do another master study soon, got bitten by the "traditional" bug in switzerland.

ham-e - thanks a lot, so nice of you to stop by on a regular basis!

okay, here comes the rest of the sketches. sorry for the first being so crumbled, but the sketchbook got in a "fight" with my camera in the backpack...

well, some "relaxation" inbetween...)

ooops, forgot one small sketch:

Last edited by stine; June 26th, 2006 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am shamed. wow, great progress here. I don't really have any crits right now, I'll have to come back to that, but I have one pressing question that's probably been asked of you many times. What kinds of brushes are you using for your digis? Hmm, keep it up and I'll be back!

Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, im really diggin that digital painting, its great! You are really getting the hang of digital painting. The colors are really well handled. The sketches are really nice too. I like the gestural cows alot too. Keep on truckin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi stine nice sketches! I love the way your pen sketches turned out they have a nice controled feel to them, I like the one with the motor scooter in it...maybe just because I like scooters. Your pencil stuff is always beautiful, nice tree. well done I like it when you draw from life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back Stine. I love the perspective in the first picture. Great perspective. All of your tradition is really great.

• Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1