Sketchbook: stine's sketchbook -- a portrait a day keeps the doctor away... - Page 11

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi stine nice animal sketches! The orangutan is nice but the contrast is too low it would be nicer if you have drawn it with a darker pencil. I am just curious what is the name of the book about apes?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, ivan! you're right with the colors. the original isn't that bad, but the scan seems a lot lighter. tried to stay in the color palette of the different ape races, but i guess i'll take darker pencils...

the book is simply called "apes" and it's author is steve bloom. lot of very nice photos, especially close-ups.

so, here are only a few more quick sketches i've done during lunch break. the arm of the right oran is a bit too long, but those pencils can't be erased. next time will be better...

stine's sketchbook -- a portrait a day keeps the doctor away...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi stine, Nice sketches...there's no rule that says you can't play with the brightness and contrast in PS to make the drawing look better Nice Orang's, have you checked out their feet? thats a whole new anatomy! Maybe I should post a sketch I did of an Orang I did a few weeks ago. See ya

Last edited by Ham-e; May 18th, 2006 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, ham-e! unfortunately the book concentrates on the faces and doesn'r really show a lot of other details. but i'll see whether i can get other books. did you draw the feet? would really like to see your sketch!

okay, just a little digital today.
    sve recommended doing a painting of the little sketch i did a while ago. so i thought i should practise my digital painting. did this in photoshop and it actually took me quite a while, because i don't have the reference anymore and had to rely on my sketch completely. well, i'm a total newbie to painting, so this sketch has quite a lot of flaws (especially with the values...) but it's just a first step, getting a general feel for it. hope to become better and somehow finish it one day...

Last edited by stine; May 19th, 2006 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice portrait Stine, really has character. Can't help you with the technique though, I've never done digital painting and probably never will....

Cheers,
    Arco

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, arco!

a small update on the digital. pushing the values a little and going from the cold purple/ pinks to a warmer color scheme. still very rough and blurry. found it tough to work without the reference, so i guess, i'll come back to it, when i'm better at painting. need to study the basics first...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    G'day Stine.I agree with Acro lots of character in you r portraits which is quite evident in the eyes of the orangutan and dog sketches. Your digi was coming along nicely, it got a bit muddy at this point but a great attempt without the refference. I had some good tutorial links for digi painting that would probably suit your style but I lost them and only have animated gifs, it was somewhere on these forums I'll try find them for you or maybe youve already seen them. One of them is titled Ayumi that's about the only clue I have to their where abouts. I only say this cause I'm crap at explaing things without blabing too much. So that's it from me till next time Stine .

SKETCHBOOK

Jeff Jones was advised "No piece of art is ever a failure, because you never come away with less than you started with. ''

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi stine, nice work. Your such a natural. Anyway two things I would suggest here: Try to work her skin tone to a more pale ivory kind of look, right now she looks too dark pink, the freckles look good. its just the skin tone in the middle of the face, if you know what I mean. The second thing is that it looks like you were working with very low opacity on the brush I think a higher opacity would help with the stroke economy and the overall look, more like that one you did in painter. Anyway looks great can't wait to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot, guys! every hint for the digital is helpful right now! couldn't work on it today (thesis...), and only produced doodles not worth showing, but i hope tomorrow. so if you have any other suggestions...

nii - sorry, couldn't find that tutorial you described. hmmm, had a look at bumskees thread again and looked at the underpainting-discussion. i guess, i will give this (or some other) sketch another go and try to mimick traditional painting in photoshop... a lot to learn...

ham-e - thanks a lot, you're too kind! and you have some good points there! think, i'll start a new painting from scratch and see how it turns out. you're right about the opacity.it's okay with the skin, i guess, but it's way to blurry with the hair. i'll work on that. felt a little more comfortable in photoshop than in painter, mainly because i know it better and because it's way faster than painter on my machine. try to get the trial version of cs2, because right now i'm working with version 6.0.

loooong way to got, but thanks a lot for the patience!

see you,

stine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Nice portrait, im struggling with that myself as you maybe know!
great, just give the nose more shape! right now it dissapear in the rest of the face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sketchbook. The animal sketches and portraits are really nice. Keep pushing the values on the digi painting and try to draw the strokes around the form (it starts to flatten out a bit in the hair). Also try viewing it in grayscale to help you get some more contrast in there. Nice improvement in here. Keep drawing

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, dile! great to see you're into the portraits now, too.
    i'm glad i started drawing faces in pencil first, a lot easier than the digitals...

avatarjimmy - thanks for stopping by and for the tipp with the greyscales. i once knew it, but had totally forgotten about it. glad you reminded me!

i actually could manage to get the reference one more time, so i started from scratch. keeping in mind everything you guys told me and actually seeing the colors. realized how far my previous sketch went away from the original feel (and her look, she's got a much more unusual face than i gave her...).

could refine more and more details and i probably will. it's still a bit blurry, but for right now that's it i guess... so here we go, took me long enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waaa...beautiful!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
  • Beatuiful Indeed!
    You fixed the nose alittle, but it looks good enough

keep it up!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great digi Stine. Here's what I was trying to look for Daarken's site

SKETCHBOOK

Jeff Jones was advised "No piece of art is ever a failure, because you never come away with less than you started with. ''

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, a lot, ham-e and dile! nice of you to stop by!
    thanks, nii, that link is GREAT. haven't seen it before, thanks for the trouble of finding it again!

so i guess i'll try and finish another digital...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stine .. wicked job on the digital paint...one tiny spot that bothers me is the spt right under her nose .. seems empty for some reason
    I especially love your pencils .. I love you get the gesture down with single decicive strokes .. MORE I SAY !!
    and NII -> doesnt daarken just blow your fucking mind ??!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice work stine, Very impressive work Stine, great progression with the tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Hey Stine i told you, you were ready for digital great job here very nice painting i have to see more of this This is an awesome first finished painting. Great Job Stine!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dieoxin - thanks a lot, man! and you're right about the nose. now that you mentioned it, i see it, too. gonna fix that, so thanks a lot!

darktwin - hey there! thanks for visiting again and for the encouraging comment of course...

ashrumm - hey, you're back! very cool. hope semester finished well?! thanks a lot! oh, and since you asked for it, here's today's digital.

it's a master study from serow's "portrait of the singer angelo masini". no color-picking and no paint-over. all done by "hand"... i saved the steps, in case you guys are interested...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great paints!

cheers

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches,for your faces though, try to think of what is underneath the skin, the skull and muscles, that make up the planes of the face, I think that would help make your portraits even stronger. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your digital paintings are quite nice! But double check your reference because I think that you have made the eyes too small. I also think that you should move the left eye down. Just paste and scale your painting over the original to see where are your mistakes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice Stine, I also want to say his right eye is placed to high but after looking at it a second time i think you placed it in the right spot because his head is slightly tilted. Good job I like your loose gestural quality it looks like a painting and that is very good. can't wait to what comes up next.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
  • Nice painting!
    It would be really cool to see the steps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your input, guys!

hurricane - nice of you to stop by again, thanks a lot!

matt smith - yup, you're perfectly right. guess i got so caught up with the technicalities of painting that the basics got out of sight for a bit. i try and fix that, thanks!

ivan - thanks for the tip. i actually didn't think about getting the painting over the original to fix stuff. dunno, maybe felt like cheating to me. one goal is to train my eye and making mistakes is probably one lesson...

ashrumm - thanks a lot. i'll try and get a little tighter, though. not as blurry and rough as i did in these two. guess, i'll just have to practise...

dile - hey, there. thanks for visiting.
    okay, here are the steps. looks crappy and has obviously a lot of flaws. i'll just try harder...

thanks for your advice, guys!

stine's sketchbook -- a portrait a day keeps the doctor away... stine's sketchbook -- a portrait a day keeps the doctor away... stine's sketchbook -- a portrait a day keeps the doctor away...
    stine's sketchbook -- a portrait a day keeps the doctor away... stine's sketchbook -- a portrait a day keeps the doctor away... stine's sketchbook -- a portrait a day keeps the doctor away...

oh, and that's the original, a little cropped so you can see the face better...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow really nice! Thanks for posting your steps, that wil really help me for sure. Looks great!! Flaws? you've got to be kidding!?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, great sb here. one thing that sticks out to me... most if not all of your works are from ref and I'm dying to see what you've got coming out of your own head. any chance I'll get lucky and see some originals?

chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow you have achieved stunning likeliness!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy crap! So much better than your original digi painting. Keep posting

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

• Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1