Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow ConceptartCohesion #001: 8th Day >>> COW - Giant Suicide Digger

ConceptartCohesion #001: 8th Day >>> COW - Giant Suicide Digger

ConceptartCohesion #001: 8th Day

Storyline:

The year 2446 CE

Mankind and its technology have advanced at an exponential rate, however trivial political, religious and social demands have caused the splintering of former superpowers into smaller nation states, pitting themselves against each in a number of minor conflicts.

Since 2395 a minimum of 27 conflicts, hostile incursions and border disputes have been raging in various confined areas across the planets surface, sparking a new global economy.
    Covenants of major corporations have banded together in various factions and are now the true international players, feeding the ever increasing demand of new weapons technology.
    The change in style of warfare has rendered weapons of mass destruction virtually useless increasing an appetite for more unconventional weapon systems, specifically the VidaNova Corporations newest developments in the field of creating new species of animals bred for specific purposes.

The idea behind this new move is too harness the animals natural intelligence, sensory abilities, and ability to traverse difficult terrain. They are currently working on models for civilian implementation, ranging from beasts of burden for remote areas to leisure models as pets. However there have been worrying reports of certain products escaping from captivity, and having unexpected effects on the flora and fauna they interact with, conspiracy theorists place blame on a huge range of subjects, ranging from the Cytarabinoside used in manipulating metabolic pathways in the animals, to mother earth resting control back from humanity to satan himself.
    Some minor political and religious groups are already rallying, trying to bring this series of unnerving events to the public eye, wild rumors and conspiracy theories are already calling this the 8th day of creation.

Topic:
    Giant Suicide Digger

Description:
    Giant Suicide Digger - Difficult terrain made it very hard or even impossible to reach military targets which are hidden in dense jungles or high mountains. As an alternate to the obvious units attacking from the air scientists created a new species which is a result of cross breeding different species with ability to dig their way through the ground. By manipulating special genes they created a huge creature which is optimized on seeking elektro magnetic signals...

The defensive structures of the strategical buildings are producing electro magnetic signals in operational mode, which is an indication of the enemy buildings position. The Suicide Diggers are genetically programmed to search for this kind of signals and follow them with fatal certainty until they find the source. When they have found the source they dig up to the surface. Inside the creatures built in technology parts are programmed to detonate in a devastating explosion when breaking through the surface, resulting in a total demolition of the targeted object and the digger creature itself of course.

The loss of a highly developed creature seems high, but is very small compared to the destruction of a military target.

Deadline:
    Wednesday, 15th March 2006

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Linked weekly activities:

EOW
    - Environment Of The Week
    Mystical Cavern Temple ProNatura
    LINK: EOW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

IDW - Industrial Design Of The Week
    Genetic Soldier Transport
    LINK: IDW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

ChOW - Character Of The Week
    "The Head" - Chief of VidaNova
    LINK: ChOW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

Link to the campaigns main thread:
    main thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

Last edited by Fozzybar; March 10th, 2006 at 09:31 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the new round is on....sorry for any typos or bad phrasing in the description...my english too poor for a task like this...correct me if there is anything wrong and i will change it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JakkaS
    This is going better and better FOZZ!!
    ooops...after saying this your stars increased by one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is going better and better FOZZ!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This should be a challenge, I like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm.... This will be interesting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ok, let me make sure I got this straight. The bases are on the surface and these beasts dig to the signal, coming out onto the surface an explode?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems so Hookswords... Might be why they are suicidal. This will be fun! :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, this one is gonna be a little tougher than the last one. It's more specific and so theres more things that have to be integrated into the creature. I think this one will definitely look a bit more techy considering the different systems that might be necessary for such an organism.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Creature!

My entry:

Ha ha... kidding. But have you guys seen this? A new animal was found in the South Pacific. Furry Lobster! No joke! Thought you guys might be interested.

Link to the story here:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4785482.stm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa! that lobster is intense!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    id like to see one of those badasses swimming round in a tank at a chinese food restaurant...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Id like to see it in a battle to the death with one of those gigantic koi goldfish in a tank at a chinese food restaurant. Two creatures enter, one....ends up on my plate, delicious. There can only be one highlander.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's up with its pincers?... [/derails thread]

LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well when I did this for the Portal Opener CoW people seemed to think it was beneficial so I'll do another brainstorm/inspiration post to get this badboy rollin'. Ok, so once again we have another genetically engineered creature. However in this case it has a very specific purpose, that of a suicide bomber. Now because this creature functions in a disposable capacity I would say that the creature design shouldn't be unecessarily large (although it should be large in comparison to a person, large enough to carry a sizeable bomb) and it shouldnt have a bunch of random additions that serve no purpose. This thing should be economically designed, cost effective. So perhaps something streamlined and simple would be best for this CoW, not an easy thing to do when the siren call of fancy doo-dads and gizmos is so hard to resist. Ok now lets bang out the specifications for this animal. It has to be a good digger. So what animals are best at digging? What natural apparatus do they possess that makes them so effective at digging? How could these be improved through futuristic technology? The next thing would be in relation to sensing electromagnetic fields. What animals can sense electromagnetic fields? Once again how could this be enhanced? Also on a side note, echolocation and sensing electromagnetic fields arent remotely similar, not tryin to say that anyone here would think that but I dont want any confusion. There are animals on this planet that sense electromagnetic fields but I'll leave it up to you to do that research, its part of creature design. Finally the creature has to contain a powerful explosive. What kind of explosive? Where is it contained within the animal? What mechanism triggers the device? Also more importantly is the problem of shielding the bomb until its reached its destination, dont want a mishap with one of these creatures, so it will have to have some kind of armor whether it be natural, metal, whatever to keep the package safe until delivery. I mean consider what would happen if the creature is digging at super speeds and and a large piece of rock debris hits an unshielded bomb, there goes thousands and thousands of dollars down the drain, not to mention the collateral damage if its near the base. Also considering this thing is tunneling quickly through the earth it should be resistant to blows from rocks and other excavation material so it might be good to have the entire creature armored and contained to avoid soil getting into important circuits and mechanisms. That about wraps it up for now, any other thoughts I have Ill post later, hope this helped someone out there.

One more thing and this is a question for Fozzy. Why does the creature have to be giant? It cant be because the bomb is big. That doesnt make sense. Currently we can carry a nuclear weapon large enough to level a city inside a backpack. Is it because the bomb has to be large enough to wipe out complexes as large as multiple states? I mean it makes more sense tactically to send a midsized, shielded creature with a nuke than something giant and unwieldy. The larger something is the less stealthy it becomes. Plus, growing something that big takes longer than a smaller suicide creature. In addition if we can make a nuke that can take out a whole city the size of a backpack currently, then in the future we should be able to make a bomb that could wipe out an entire country only slightly larger than a backpack, maybe even smaller. I dunno it just seemed odd to me, but your the Grand High Archon of the Critter Kingdom so its your call.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well sharks can sense electromagnetic activity, so that could be cool. Then again we're talking about tiny receptor organs here, so i doubt if this could play such a great role visually. And the most effective creature i can come up with at the time being would be an earthworm. Most probably easy to engineer and produce but not very interesting from a designer's point of view right? As for where the bomb should go, i guess the back of the creature would be safest? But if you give it decent enough sensors (check out the starnosed mole) it would be able to circumvent any possible obstacles, so that shouldn't pose too much of a problem. I'll also have to go with the GIANT size not being a very handy one.
    One more thing: What if this creature can't surface inside the targeted location? I mean, it's quite probable the floor is made of iron or thick concrete. 's Gotta be one though monkey to pull that off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is an awesome point Walnut. So another part of this creature is that it has to be armed with digging equipment that can breach any material. Doesnt matter how you do it I suppose. I mean you dont just have to stick to claws that can cut through anything, there are so many other means of excavation. My guess is that the best way to deal with a reinforced floor is something outside the realm of organic means but there are many ingenious natural mechanisms so I wouldnt count that option out. And yes Walnut is correct, any fish of the elasmobranch variety, aka sharks, rays, and skates are very adept at sensing electromagnetic activity but there are other creatures too. Man it never ceases to amaze me how much thought we all put into a fantasy creature, vested interest I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nexus
    First of all thanx for the input, i think many members benefit from your brainstorming.
    Coming to the question why the creature has to be giant...maybe i chose the wrong word, i didn't mean giant like big as a school bus...it's just that the animals living on earth and are able to dig are maybe as large as a mole or in that range, i didn't want to have 20 entries of creature in the size of mice...so the term giant refers to the currently known digger creatures...though a digger in size of a school bus would look badass, hehe...

walnut
    "One more thing: What if this creature can't surface inside the targeted location? I mean, it's quite probable the floor is made of iron or thick concrete. 's Gotta be one though monkey to pull that off."
    Well, that's one of the tasks the scientists and you have to solve

Orion
    I read this news yesterday and mother nature is always our best inspiration source

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gotcha Fozz, thanks for the clarification.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sandworms! Tremors!

Why giant you ask? Because excess is always a fruit of war. The bigger gun wins. I think its a metaphor for our own folly. I think this will be very fascinating. Walnut, I thought of sharks as well, maybe a hammerhead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What? I thought devastation and tax increases were the fruits of war.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saw it yesterday Orion, and I just *LOVE* it!

I need to be careful. I've had dunes Sandworms on my brain all day too, heh.

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't get my entry for the previous CohesionCOW uploaded in time (a shame, it was a pretty cool sci-fi griphonesque beast). I've got a pretty good idea for this one, hopefully I'll have the time to do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A mole/lobster hybrid, does that sound like something that's been doen before?
    Strangely enough sandworms haven't even come up in my head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So do we have to use existing tunneling critters, or can we make a new thing that tunnels (out of existing non-tunneling animals)? Mechanical bits included again?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    according to the description you should design a creature which is developed from tunneling animals we know, but just make a creature which is believable in representing what it is supposed to do...

You know, a badass looking tunnel creature, you instantly think of digger abilities when you see it...a pony is a bad base eg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FOZZ
    ..a pony is a bad base eg
    Thx a lot FOZZ, now i have to start everything form the begining.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    according to the description you should design a creature which is developed from tunneling animals we know, but just make a creature which is believable in representing what it is supposed to do...
    Yeah, I kind of got the impression that it was supposed to be based on real tunneling animals, but that pretty much means moles, woodchucks, earthworms, and various insects, none of which really grabbed my interest. I was thinking it might be fun to adapt something else...and no, it's not a pony.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What, a GIANT pony based digging creature is not an option? You gotta be pulling my leg.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I was working on. A bird creature that has mole and crab-like properties for a three-pronged attack on the earth and rock. Obviously this is still a work in progress. I wanted to see if it fell too far outside the guidelines at this stage:

Erilaz

Books of love:
    RebeccaK bumskee dirty_c Iconophobian Steph Laberis

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.