Sketchbook: Steph's Sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Steph's Sketchbook

Practicing sketching ships from photos... (since I have no access to a real life ship)

Steph's Sketchbook

Critiques welcome on anything I'll post in my sketchbook. Red Liners/ Draw-overs appreciated. Thoughts welcome.

Still very shy about posting anything that isn't my cartoon/manga art but I've decided to suck it up.

I'm a bit more then out of practice.. but been trying to catch up this last year in my spare time.

Last edited by MissCeleste; March 8th, 2006 at 11:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this is nice. Maybe that thing on the mast, the watching post (i dunno nautical terms) should suggest more the spacial view. I mean it looks flat, like a plane. It does not have a 3D look that's what i mean. Also some of the masts look too thick. Anyways, for a first post this is really nice. Post more of this, don't get discouraged.

Check put my schetchbook if you please
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61551

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you mean the Crow's Nest.

Thank you very much. I see what you mean after looking again. Appreciate it.

Will work on that in future attempts.

Last edited by MissCeleste; March 7th, 2006 at 07:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Manga Academy Homework - Line Art Application

Steph's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That lineart stuff looks real nice! The marker catches my eye. Did you draw these from life?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No. The Manga Acacemy assignment was to draw line art of objects from a familiar manga (I had an old issue of Ranma 1/2 in my closet I fished out for this one) as an excercise to better pay attention to line work and how depth is created in a simple but effective manner in manga and in cartoons/graphic art in general. It did what the assignment outline said it would do.. I started noticing all these things I didn't before when looking at various items more closely in the book and deciding which ones to try out that I could see close enough to focus on imitating the line quality.

Last edited by MissCeleste; March 7th, 2006 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! The lineart pieces are very nicely done. I'd love to see some studies from life from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies. Keep it up.

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

My portfolio review thread can be found here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before bed time loosening up.. quick sketching...

Steph's Sketchbook

I've been doing this every night before going to sleep to unwind. I pick a sound track or classical piece.. something with no words so it's not distracting.. and then just real quick try to draw a few things I think of while listening to 2 or 3 songs from the C.D. Tonight I picked Lemony Snicket's "Series of Unfortunate Events" soundtrack and immeaditley thought of the "the eye" that is associated with Count Olaf and his acting troupe. Lot's More stuff tomorrow. Was gonna post it tonight but I can't figuire out how to work the digital camera and the stuff I worked on today is on paper to large for my 8 1/2 by 11 scanner.

Simon -n- Lotekk: Thanks Guys. I appreciate the feedback. As for the life studies request, duely noted. I am planning on doing some sketches of my nieces soon as my next attempt at observance of actual people/figuire drawing.. there 3 and I've been advised to start with children so it's not overwhelming, because drawing people in realism for me.. is not.. exactly.. my strong.. point... *ehhemIreallysuckatitcough* but currently my focus is on learning to draw boats, ships, and classic cars because of the appearances they'll be making in my next graphic novel.. so I have to really focus on learning how to draw them decently by the end of the month.. I'm not very familiar with boats or cars so expect to see ALOT or practice with those in here in the next couple of weeks. Sorry if that sounds really boring.. but please keep coming back and visiting and letting me know what you think! THANKS! ^^;;;;;;;;;;;;

Last edited by MissCeleste; March 8th, 2006 at 05:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Miss Celeste, cool sketches in here. Really nice manga drawings. Especially the last one. Hope to see more of your sketches. Welcome to CA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Ship Study

Steph's Sketchbook

Note: This was drawn from looking at a photograph of the HMS Rose because it is replica of a war/battle ship and I am trying to experiment to make an original ship for the villain of my comic. (Thought a war ship would be fitting for him) I altered the photo reference back to old skool (1700's-1800's) style ship fixings (they dont make them entirely out of wood anymore even when there replicas of antiques for preservation purposes) and tried to alter the figuire head as well because I didn't just want that lion icon the Rose had.. I wanted the Lion to look demonic and devouring a mermaid to symbolize the owner of the ship. Not happy with how it came out. I can't seem to figuire out how to make the lion still look traditional but evil. It just looks.. stupid.. to me. Could deff. use some suggestions/critiques on how to make it better. Also I seem to mess up more on my line quality the closer up I draw ships. What does this mean? Is this a good indicator of some of my weaknesses?

"Anime Punch" Convention Mascot conceptuals

Initial rough sketch

Steph's Sketchbook

Not sure what I want for Ann's hair...

Steph's Sketchbook

Desc. from convention staff reads....

The Girls:
    Both girls are karate white-belts with a traditional karate uniform. Below are the guidelines that must be met. Otherwise, the style is up to you!

Ann
    17–19 years old, straight blue/black hair. She is more serious and quiet, but by no means short tempered or angry. She uses either a long Japanese sword, or dual pistols.

Penny
    11–13 years old. More energetic and outgoing, but not hyper or idiotic. Penny has brown pigtails, freckles, and a smile. She tends to tie the top for her uniform around her waist. Her weapons of choice are handfuls of knives or bombs that she flings in the general direction of whoever she is fighting.

Concept One

Steph's Sketchbook

Concept Two

Steph's Sketchbook

After speaking to convention chair about concepts and any changes wanted/needed before creating the convention booklet cover, he said...

Remember, our con is gritty and edgy, and our mascots should reflect that! They've grown up in the harshest of conditions!

Thoughts on how to make them... grittier and edgier.. ? hmmm...

Houkocon Convention Mascots (rough sketch based off of file below, from con chair.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...atevsNinja.jpg

Steph's Sketchbook

(This one is REALLY rough sketch, making up the costume as I went along becasue the only reference image I have *above* doesn't do much but indicate there hair and eye color and basically what color scheme there going for. Several more concepts of this on the way.)

Persacon "Weekend in Gion" First Concept (based off the below reference image from con chair)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ogirlsmall.jpg

Steph's Sketchbook

More to come. Still haven't gotten hold of that digital camera for larger works.

Feedback/thoughts/critiques/suggestions (as always) greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MissCeleste; March 8th, 2006 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem with the mascots as they are now is that they do not really say 'gritty and edgy', more 'cute and shiny'. How to fix? Well to start with, try different expressions, anger, rage etc. Narrow the eyes lots, like this maybe.
    Steph's Sketchbook

If they've grown up in the 'harshest possible conditions', then they should show it. Rough up their clothes, have rougher hair, scars, eyepatches etc. Really push the designs more, take them beyond the cutesy shoujo look. SHow their weapons too, place them in dynamic action poses etc.

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another thing that comes to mind is that the two girls' faces look exactly the same. They have the same eyes, same shape, same expressions. Body wise, there is nothing that displays the age difference. If Penny is pre-pubescent, then she needs less of a figure, smaller breasts (if any). Her youth may be emphasised by a having a proportionately larger head.

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'm not allowed to change the basic apperance requirements they gave me, which is that neitehr of them have scars or eyepatches or anything like that. I can prob. use the rest. Thanks for the thoughts Simon and the quick sketch. Deff. gonna keep your words in mind.

Off to sketch it out. Hopefully it'll get done tonight.

(stuck babysitting my nieces today so it's hard to stay focused )

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: Oh, and there sisters. They requested I make them look similar, but with the feature requirements.

Do you think it is TOO similar... even for sisters?

The "get rid of any semblence of a chest on Penny" was an after thought for me too, so deff. gonna do that.

(Notice as the conceptuals progressed I shrank it a bit more each time until I realized she prob. just shouldn't have em period)

Last edited by MissCeleste; March 8th, 2006 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do their outfits need to be white? Darker colours could help with grit and edge.

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Copy/Pasted From Notes on the "Requirements"

The Girls:
    Both girls are karate white-belts with a traditional karate uniform.

Well it says in the description white belts in Karate. I believe... I'm not sure though.. that Karate uniforms are always white, and in Taekwando (sp?) The sensei can have a black uniform... I know it's something like that.. when your a white belt in training like the desc. says for these two, I'm pretty sure, (but not entirely) that the outfits need to be white. I'm going to do some research into that... if it is possible to change the uniform colors I am thinking red or black..I like that idea... I can see how it would look better design wise too... I just don't know if that's an option or not. I'll look up the info, if it's not some sort of taboo or mis-label that would offend/piss-off actual martial artists, then I'll email the con chair and ask if he'd like that and if he says yes then I am deff. gonna go with that suggestion.

Great suggestions/thoughts Simon. Thanks a bunch.

PS- Do you still think they look too alike/similar facially even as sisters..? I can make the changes if you think yes. I value your opinion alot on this, because you OBVIOUSLY have a good eye for detail and know what your talking about.

Last edited by MissCeleste; March 8th, 2006 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey now, heres a reply to an old post about your ship study(the 1st one) did it two days back but got locked outta zbrush so well here it is!

Steph's Sketchbook

yep so its lookign weird because you've got two portions of the drawing suggesting different perspectives.

hope it helps!

ZCAI

"The greatest tragedy is when theory far exceeds performance." Leonardo Da Vinci
    ---------------------------------------------
    INTERNATIONAL SKETCHBOOK SUPPORT GROUP

ERILAZ! OTHERSIDE! CRAZY3DMAN! THEGREYPENCIL!

I SPY WITH MY EYES...GROUP

SEPULVERTURE! BHANU! BENDRAGON! JOHN T!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the Lemony Snicket sketches. Nice lines and shading. Looove the HMS Rose-based pic. Very nice values so far. For the lion, maybe it's just me, but I think it would look badass if you had the mermaid's torso coming out of the lion's mouth, her expression one of intense horror and pain. I think I need help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im not really into anime art but anyway these seem quite solid
    but your realistic stuff for example the ships are very good i would keep at that i see a lot of potential there..
    at all events keep drawing and posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update: O.K. I got the digi-cam working. It's a really crappy quality one though.. he he.. Gonna get a new one soon now that I've been working on larger paper more often.. or I'll invest in a bigger scanner bed.. (Do they exist?) one of the two... Also, thegreypencil I checked the reference photo I used for the study and noticed it's the crows nest (out of the two options for where I botched it perspective wise) I did wrong. Thanks for pointing that out and using the "draw over". I have a HUGE issue studying perspective and understanding it. I'm a much more visual learner (the books I've picked up confused me... so I'm taking some suggestions from other members to stick with doing the basics until I feel comfortable) so anyway, I really love when someone takes the time out to red line, redraw on top, or point arrows at exactly where they see the problems while giving tips. I deff. learn fastest that way. Please feel welcome to do it anytime with any of the stuff I post! Thank you! Lotekk - Nah. Your just creative.

"The Captain" (Cosplay Costume Reference Sheets)

Steph's Sketchbook

Steph's Sketchbook

(I tried using the same measuring scale for fashion make up pallete/face design but with anime proportions.)

(errr... It didn't work so well in my opinion. Pretty much a failed experiment but good reference to the differences)

Steph's Sketchbook

(Final costume design and construction. Note for future: Pull in fabric around chest/adjust )

Recreating Carmen Sandiego (Cosplay Costume Design Ideas)

About a year ago I came up with this idea after a participant of my lecture at Persacon had a discussion with me saying it must be easier to construct original idea cosplays, because if you make a mistake no one will know it..as there not yet a popular icon so people will be less likely to notice flaws in construction. Instead of argueing with her I just said.. "Well, Alright then. I'll create an iconic/fandom cosplay for next years lecture using the same methods I do for my original designs." So I choose Carmen Sandiego because I love her.

Steph's Sketchbook

More recent ideas.. changes.. prop construction notes...

Steph's Sketchbook

(Final Costume Construction pending - Deadline: June 1st )

"Litvin's Lab" Storyboards

Steph's Sketchbook

Steph's Sketchbook

Steph's Sketchbook

Steph's Sketchbook

Steph's Sketchbook

Anyone who feels like ripping these apart... be my guest... A red liner or draw over on any of these would be SUPER. They need ALOT of work... and I feel I'm "to close to them" to spot all the errors. I'm also not very used to working on bigger paper, (have been forcing myself to use industry standard sized paper to get used to it) and I'm too focused on my pirate comic stuff right now (with the deadline steadily approaching like the cold breath of Death) *ehm* to really take time out to sit down and pick apart all of these, so if anyone else is bored or wants to help or looooovvveeesss critiquing this is the sketchbook to hang out in. You can say ANYTHING you want here and I'll say "Thank you master. Hit me again." he he he...

BRING... ON... THE.. PAIN... !!

Next up: More ship study, and the "Gritter" attempt at the "Anime Punch" mascots.

Last edited by MissCeleste; March 9th, 2006 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Your anime-style is actually very cute I like the motion you captured in those storyboards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup, nice progress here. It would be nice to see how that ship in the first post would look like if u would take into acount thegreypencil's suggestions. He said what i meant to say but i couldn't due to my limitations of the english language...

Keep it up!!

Cheers!

Check put my schetchbook if you please
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61551

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O.K. I will try it again then today for tonights update with the other ship studies. I'll also try to scan in a pic of the reference photo (the book is kinda cumbersome.. it might be hard to get the scanner bed to close) so you can sort of see what I see now that he saw as wrong that is... right.... RIGHT. I can see it now with my eyes, but I'm working on the line quality so it looks like it's curving outward instead of being flat/horizontal which it isn't in the original picture. *nod*

EDIT: UGH. Nevermind on the "get it up tonight" stuff.. Apparantly I have to switch the priorities for my projects AGAIN to get the project done that is private. (for now) I'm gonna try to hurry up and get that done so I can get back to the ship practice and mascot final drafts, which I'm much more anxious to do. I shall.. return...

Last edited by MissCeleste; March 11th, 2006 at 05:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did you make that costume? after your own sketch? if you did then its realy nice

if i have C&C your work it should be most polite to C&C my work that would make me very happy

Lookys work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there

solid costume work goin there, cant crit much on the anime bits cuz its not something im inta.

keep the works coming!

ZCAI

"The greatest tragedy is when theory far exceeds performance." Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arrrr, that tis be a kick ass ship matty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tonight's Quick Sketch practice is dedicated to The Sandman3030 (Done in exactly one minute. Timed.)

Steph's Sketchbook

More Ship Practice..

Steph's Sketchbook

Tougher/Edgier Looks on the Anime Punch Mascot girls faces (hopefully)

Steph's Sketchbook

(Gonna ink this tonight.. just scanned in the pencil sketch to get some opinions)

Next up, Started a concept of a Promotional for "Oh, Captain!" for Houkocon's Pirates vs. Ninjas theme but messed up on Simon's hand. grr. I liked how Captain Blue was going so far though (except how I made the trim uneven) so I thought I'd post here in case anyone had any feed back/suggestions for when I take a second shot at this.

Steph's Sketchbook

Tried fixing up the original ship picture with TheGreyPencil's tips but I messed up so many times trying to erase and correct it that the area of the paper I need to correct over is all grey and smudgy now.. grr.. hate when that happens.. you only get so many tries before it's do over time! Gonna prob. just try to do that picture all over again paying a bit more attention.. try try again!

Looky: Yes, I designed it, and worked together with Lyn Slawsky on the actual costume construction.

Last edited by MissCeleste; March 14th, 2006 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished colouring the new attempt at the "edgier" Anime Punch mascots (I REALLY HATE MY SCANNER)

Steph's Sketchbook

(Sent it into the con chair today... we'll see what he says)

5 Items for a "Lady of the Arts" (Geisha)

Steph's Sketchbook

Critiques/Observations of common mistakes made consistently always welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there, some crits.

Steph's Sketchbook

hope it helps! keep at it!

ZCAI

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff Grey Pencil. Excellent observations.

I actually did think on that pose with the hand there a bit but I just couldn't imagine it properly. I tried to put myself in my bathroom mirror and do it but It doesn't have enough space for me to see/practice the pose properly and I like did the punch in slow motion several times.. and I just scratched my head.. cause I was having trouble imagining perspective again.. I wanted to make the arm *pop* out like it was showing in the perspective book for this sword demonstration.. but with her arm instead.. like she's like "ANIME PUNCH" like the convention name, to match but with the sword they told me to give her. I was trying to make myself practice using perspective to your advantage for things besides landscapes to make your images pop off the page more.. I can see from your mark over now that I didn't imagine it correctly because my eye immeaditly goes to her right shoulder shrinking back and now I'm thinking "I drew from two different angles again didn't I?" Like if her left arm is in the foreground there and her rigth shoulder is supposed to be back so I'm creating that "illusion" of depth/perspective that other fist shouldn't even be there should it? I think... I have this real big problem with imagining perspective correctly. Just gonna have to keep pushing myself to use it until I get it though I think.

Mmm.. The fingers thing is so small too.. but I can already see from your marks how it would make a big difference.

Right on man. Awesome crits.

Alright... off to correct that one and re-do the ship one you helped me out with!

Last edited by MissCeleste; March 16th, 2006 at 04:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.