Hey Im awake!

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Hey Im awake!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey Im awake!

This may be of help to some of you, because this condition is fairly common and alot of people may have it and don't realize, since well, your asleep when it happens. Anyway, for the past 3 or 4 years I've been really sleepy. Not just occasionally but pretty much all the time. At work it was a constant battle to stay awake. At home if I sat down on the couch for more then a few minutes, I was asleep. Sometimes when I would lay on the floor to play with my 2 year old, Id fall asleep. When I drove, I would be sleepy. When I woke up I'd be sleepy. After lunch I would be sleepy.(getting the picture) Anyway a few months back my wife finally convinced me to see a doctor about it (I hate going to the doctor) and they signed me up for a sleep study, where they discovered that I have a particularly bad case of sleep apnea which is a condition where your windpipe closes off and stops breathing as you sleep. (this is not a good thing it turns out) This basically takes you out of a deep sleep into a light sleeping stage. On average, I would stop breathing 130 times an hour. (about every 30 seconds) Anyway, after my diagnosis, I got a breathing machine called a CPAP machine. Its uncomfortable at night and I have to wear an oxygen mask, but I feel like a new person. Im not tired and feel about 15 years yonger. I wanted to let everyone know because it made such a difference in my life. I didn't realize how important sleep could be. Anyway, if you wake up unrested (alot), never dream or wake up choking, I emplore you to get a sleep study and see if you are getting the rest you need at night. Also some of the more severe effects of sleep apnea are stroke and high blood pressure (which I have!). But even if they weren't it is the best money I've spent, just for feelin good!

Last edited by Scubasteve; March 6th, 2006 at 01:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My mom-in-law has the same exact thing, machine and everything. I'm actually trying to get my own husband checked out for it since he's always sleepy too. Glad you found it and got it taken care of!

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have some of those symptoms and im going to definately get it checked out. What exactly does a sleep study consist of?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Magic..Me too!

Advocate...Usually just an overnight stay at a hospital where they hook you up to a bunch of electrodes and watch you sleep all night. A little while into the test the nurse came in and put me on oxygen. It was no big deal whatsoever. You may want to talk to your doctor first, for insurance coverage reasons. The test is a bit expensive if you have to pay out of pocket.. Something to the tune of 1,500 bucks I believe. If you think their is any possibilty you have it get check out bro. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You forgot the probes they put down into your throat through your nose and expect you to have a good nights sleep.. Not particularly comfortable.

I have another round of tests coming up, but everything points in the direction of me suffering from sleep apnea. I'm glad it worked out for you, and i hope it will work out for me too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They didn't do that to me. Are you sure you weren't abducted by aliens or something? Hope they nail it down for you too.

Last edited by Scubasteve; March 8th, 2006 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What happens if you take oxygen and you don't have sleep apnea.
    is it possible you could feel even better than normal.
    or use some nitrus oxide and have nice dreams that you can tell your friends about if you wake up.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.