Special Unit Jungle Force
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Special Unit Jungle Force

Special Unit Jungle Force

This is for the Drawoff Character of the week. The head is terrible looks a lot better shrunk down but you should see it full size. I kinda though how hard could it be to paint a black guy should have used ref for the head. Happy with this i think the bright areas helps a lot, distracts from a lot of other dodgy going on's in the pic. Crits accepted.

Last edited by Mitze; March 7th, 2006 at 05:14 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

No comments? Good or Bad? Also changed the Contrast as i think my Monitor is fucked up wonder will i be allowed change it in the drawoff as there are already voting on them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!

Nice picture imo. I like how you handled the anatomy and rendering. Altough there are few issues i think you could improve

-the whites in the sky are way too bright, it competes with your character. -the background is kinda sharp too, i would soten it a little bit.
    -maybe you should add some reflected light to the shadow areas, right now the shadows flatten the picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    His uniform/suit is an interesting design, but the cotrast is way over done on this. the shadow area in this piece is a black hole, without any reflected light. That just doesn't happen in a daylight scene in reality, so it comes off looking very strange. I'm not saying you did this, but it looks as though you just cranked up the contrast on your piece in Photoshop.
    Also that sword-type thing in his left hand is not matching up to the axis of his hand. The direction his hand axis is pointing, is away from the viewer over his left shoulder, but the sword-thingie appears to be hovering over his head (not pointing away over his shoulder and not foreshortened at all).
    Lastly, the way the light is concentrated around his head, it looks as though that sword-thing is emanating or reflecting bright light but his head (on that side) is in shadow. Biggest problem for me though, is the whacked contrast.

Yup i did up the contrast in Photoshop. I turned it right up and painted away thinking it did'nt matter i can always bring it back down well that as i found out is'nt how it works. When i bought it back down the pic looked a mess so i was kind stuck with it as i was limited time wise for the drawoff. Ok sword direction off to much contrast i can fix that, bit late now do. Going to do the next drawoff aswell might stick with the character one as i find them the hardest to do and hopefully have a better pic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the big white glow spot confuses me a lot, its not the space between the trees and its not a heavenly glow. It DOES however, balance the picture out because there's so much dark at the bottom, but i don't think it helps the pictures composition.

Colours are whacked, guess there's nothing you can do about that.

But overall, its a really impressive piece. haha. He's like a walking tree. I love it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea Im guessing this is definitely a monitor problem Mitze. I mean you have such a handle on the rest of the rendering that it seems illogical that you would make the light so blinding. Id say get a new monitor or adjust the old one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    somehow the place where the sixpak should be seems too long and straight, like a corsett, I would give it more dynamic appearance

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.