Sketchbook: Chisa's Happy Place - updated 25 June - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome colors on the last one really stunning and that
    facial expression is priceless ^^ Personaly i dont think
    much of the manga style, but u seem to handle it very good.

Btw: im in ssg #17 now. so feel free to put me into the sig

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the feathery/fire look of the hair. quality work chisa

Last edited by Mr_S_14; May 23rd, 2006 at 11:56 PM.
    ~"With a little hope, and alot of try, anything is possible."~
    ~"The harder You work, the better life gets."~
    ~"The pain doesn't last, but the gain will last forever."~
    ~"Fear is my courage." ~Mr_S_14

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm diggin' this thread. Certainly some cool shizz!

He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something that I noticed when looking at your pencil sketches, I feel you need to loosen up alot more, things are feeling stiff and uptight. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with matt smith!

cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Faust: Good point on the neck, I'm getting that in feedback whereever I post this picture ^^; What do you mean by 'artifacts'? You're right on the lack of layering though, didn't think of that at the time... And yeah, I really need to try and draw every day, there's just so many other things that I need to work on as well, and things that I really shouldn't be wasting time on but do anyway. At least I've pretty much stopped watching tv XD

@Dile: Yeah, I kept changing the shading style and I think my lack of deliberation shows.

@Wolfbane: Thanks very much! If my stylised work impresses people that don't even like the style, that's a big compliment Oh and I finally got around to updating my sig, thanks for reminding me.

@Mr_S_14: Thanks! I was trying out a different way of shading hair... still haven't quite got the look I want, but its getting closer.

@klinesmoker, Matt & Hurricane: Thanks guys! I think the stiffness comes mainly from my lack of confidence, which will hopefully get better as I get more experienced

Working on an art trade for a friend, so I should hopefully have something to show later tonight...

Chisa's Happy Place (sketchbook) | chisa@deviantart | The ChiGarden | sketchblog

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, need some help here - this is my side of an art trade, and I'm not happy with it at all at the momet.

Chisa's Happy Place - updated 25 June

It will eventually be her character dressed as a gothic lolita... but at the moment I'm not getting the cuteness and femininity that (I think?) is supposed to be associated with gothic lolita's. Her head, arms, legs and hips also annoy me. I wanted to go realistic~ish, but not getting there at the moment. I could really use some red line action or just suggestions here.

Chisa's Happy Place (sketchbook) | chisa@deviantart | The ChiGarden | sketchblog

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey chisa,
    In the last pic the heads too big for the body.Her right hands smaller than usual .The persective of the upper(above the pelvis) and the lower body (belowthe pelvis) isnt the same .Her lower body is longer than her upper body .If you want long legs keep them slender.For cuteness you cna increase the roundness of her face.
    Chisa's Happy Place - updated 25 June Look at this character,notice why she is looking so cute apply that to the above pic.Read some book on proportions and anatomy too.
    I hope that helped.
    Keep drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with a lot of what bhanu is saying, but from what I can see, I think her neck is a little to wide, a womens neck always looks really good a little narrow and long, the length on your drawing is good, its just the width that is bothering me.
    Next I think the torso and the hips are to close together, I think you need to create more space between the ribcage and the hips for the ab region, just my thoughts, try em out, good to see you posting, can't wait for the update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisa
    I could really use some red line action or just suggestions here.
    Haha, you don't have to ask me twice

Well, I did some red-line action, indeed: Clickaclicka
    Explanation: Aside from the fact that I find the pose per se a bit boring, I have some compositional issues with it as well. You see, everything in this just follows the same diagonals, the body flow (Hip, knees, arms, feet, umbrella). This makes the pictures totally unbalanced. you did make a curve in the body, and alighned it to a spine, but you should have looked after the flow of the seperate masses, too. This is especially visible with the torso which has got any definitions right now (Don't know if that's an anime-thing, But chicks with boobs have an ass and several other definitions on their torso, too like abs or fat or... well something) Cameltoes would've been nice, too.

Head: Too big, I agree, although she could still be a a rather small person. But you should show that by making the umbrella bigger or the legs smaller or something else. Right now, the head doesn't fit onto the body. The angle isn't very pleasant also. I'd prefer an angle with a bit more perspective. Right now, head, neck and shoulders don't match to a believable position.

Torso: Too small. She needs some place for her belly-button

Hands: Well, her left hand is pretty nicely done actually, her right hand looks a bit strange with that finger there. It looks a bit like a thumb but that's virtually impossible. Or the finger is just too small.

Well I'm finished and don't be offended or take that personally. I never get gift-art and I would be quite happy to get something like this. There's just always something to make better, and you asked for advice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo, awesome! Got some great solid suggestions here, thanks guys!

On second thoughts, elegant would probably be a better word than 'cute'... although from what I can tell the whole gothic lolita trend is full of oppositions O_o

Before I go make some changes, Faust can I just ask you how I can improve the 'flow'? I'm not completely sure what you mean. Just have some different diagonals in there?

No offense taken, I went through that defensive phase a long time ago, and now realise that its a lot easier to see the facts without a heap of sugarcoating around it

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I mean something like the alignment on a spine, the balance of stretched vs compressed and symmetry. Very difficult to explain so I thought flow would do it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha um... still confused ^^; I think I get the idea, but not sure how to apply it. I'll take a guess, and make the shoulders and hips angles opposing at least.

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Okay, so I hate this slightly less... but I'm having a huge amount of trouble with the legs >.< It's just looking so stiff...

Haha and I realised what I did wrong with the hand! I used my own as a reference, and didn't think it was too bad... until I realised that the thumb should be on the other side :blush:

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This isn't bad, will you be completing it ? additional detail ?

No worries , Your not the only one that's done that(thumb on wrong side), I'm sure =/ ,I've also been having problems with legs. so I don't know what to tell you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ^_^ Yep, its an art trade with a friend of mine who asked to have her character drawn in gothic lolita clothing, so I'll be drawing in hair and clothes eventually too. If the sketch turns out well I might try cging it.

Here's an update:

This time posing in the mirror to get the legs right, although I realised that this pose isn't completely natural... I am fairly happy with it at this point though, does anyone have any other suggestions before I start adding on hair and clothes?

Also joined an anime artists club this week. Almost all of them draw in the anime~ish style that I'm trying to not do so much, but its still nice to hang out with some fun artists offline and draw together. Here's what I got done there:

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chisa, nice job on the girl with the brush!! Sorry to hear about your class being cancelled. The omg piece came out really good!! Keep it coming girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou!

Here's a quick update on the umbrella girl, just starting on clothing now:

I've also been doing a lot of chibis for people I owe art to... which I know isn't the best practice for anatomy and stuffs, but I tried to be a little more confident with poses and colours.

Chisa's Happy Place - updated 25 June Chisa's Happy Place - updated 25 June Chisa's Happy Place - updated 25 June

All the character designs belong to the people I drew them for ^_^

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Umbrella girl is coming along great.
    Nice chibis ,you pulled them off well. The wolfy in the middle aut to be my favorite. might just be me though I like the simplicity of it.

~Mr_S_14

Last edited by Mr_S_14; June 11th, 2006 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisa
    Thankyou!

Here's a quick update on the umbrella girl, just starting on clothing now:

hmmm
    picture looks..good.. but it looks..a bit flat.... like there is no dynamics in it.. have you tried..moving her arm in a different position...like in front of her..as if she's really trying to see if its still raining...

just a though
    ^^;;;;;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those chibis are cute! The umbrelly girl doesn't quite move me. If you're doing line-art, try to watch the line-weight, at least it's what I've read somewhere!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chisa great progession, love your chibis and the latest umbrella girl is looking good. I wouldn't worry about changing this one, just keep moving forward and drawing her in multiple poses. A lot of times I try to erase and redraw and it just doesn't work, so its better sometimes to just start again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chisa!
    I keep wanting to turn umbrella girl's head upwards, so she looks up at the sky with that smile, like the rain just stopped and she spots a rainbow. Darktwin has a point though, it's always better to not get caught up and use what you learned on the next piece. Still, if you're still working on her and want an outside perspective, I'd be happy to do a quick paintover to show what I mean. Don't want to start ripping into other people's work without asking permission

Edit: Forgot to say that I love your Chibis too! Don't feel guilty about indulging in the cartoony stuff, but if you really want to use them for practice, concentrate on difficult foreshortening, and interesting poses and composition.

Sketchbook 2005 2006 2009

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
nice updates, but where are you ?
busy or something ?
otherwise: good to see you updated the sig, send the code to Bloodsbane

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh, Martial Arts Calligraphy, that's highspeed.
    Quality Stuff, Keep Creating Chisa, and let us know what you happen to come up with.

~Mr_S_14

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i simply love those chibbis! and this one is pretty awesom as well http://sketchbook.chigarden.com/in/w...006/05/omg.jpg

-PJ
    Keep the child alive...
    Dare to Believe Sb
    Website
    Blog
    Class 1 and 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys, I've been so busy the past couple of weeks, and there doesn't seem to be much sign of it letting up @_@ I'll try go around and post in your threads when I can.

I've had a lot of comments both here and in other places that I've posted umbrella girl about how static the pose is, but by that point I just wanted to finish it and leave it be =_= Bloodsbane, if you're still willing to do that paintover for future reference that would be great - I actually had her head tilted upwards at first, and then kinda lost it somewhere in one of the later iterations. Thankyou for all your advice, here is the finished version:

The only other thing I've done lately is this invitation for me and my friend's 21st birthday - it has a highschool theme, so I thought it would be a good excuse to show off some chibis ^_^ I really need to work on composition and environments though.

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
  • Nice to see that your alive chisa!
    and Happy birtday bit to late
    the latest one is very nice !
    keep it daily!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there,
    try and have more confidence in your artwork because it is very good, and do a lot of master copies.

peace

'Education is our passport to the future,
    for the future belongs to the people who prepare for it today.'
    Malcom X

God is love.

Sketchbook

BLOG

Looking for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your cartoons especially your personal LOGO.Let me recall Naruto.HAHA
    Good job!

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.