Sketchbook: Chisa's Happy Place - updated 25 June - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chisa's Happy Place - updated 25 June

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, flippy haired girl makes a comeback in the new sketches. Do you think you can try and draw some guys??

And I see you disappeared too for the last ten or fifteen days, like the rest of us.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~Faust~ and dmitri: Thanks guys, you're absolutely right. I was just too scared to put myself out there, but once I tried it I found it wasn't so hard, and if people saw me they didn't seem to mind I still like to call it ninja skill though because I seem to have more fun doing things if I can relate them to battles in some way XD

Dile: Thanks! And yeah, me too... I guess you end up looking for someone who looks out of the ordinary or has something to set them apart in some way, and headphones just add interest to the back of someone's head.

gmags: Thanks and will do!

Chichigo: Yup, flippy-haired-girl is a me-type-character that's been in my mind for a while and I'm trying to refine her look a bit, which is why she seems to feature quite a bit. I'm really terrible at drawing guys but its something I need to be able to do so I'll try work on some this long weekend...

Anyhoo, here's what I've done the past few days.

Finished the other chibi commission, although I don't like it as much as the first one... the face is quite off, and her eyes aren't focussed on the cat like they should be. But the girl who commissioned it seemed happy, and its out of the way so I'll just leave it at that.

Did some sketching people at a cafe on my lunch break. It's really fun! I need to find time to do it more regularly.

Played around with OC 1.1 so I can draw with other people later. This came out pretty badly and very off balanced, but I think I go the hang of the application at least. The event file is here.

Decided to start a sketchbook blog, partly as an excuse to make another website layout and play around with WordPress. It's supposed to look like a sketchbook, the bottom pic is supposed to be the front cover of the book and will be the splash page, and the top one is what the inner pages will look like. I still need to draw some splash page worthy pics to put on it.

Lastly and probably least relevant to this forum... played around with some pixel art and ImageReady to make a little monkey XD

Chisa's Happy Place (sketchbook) | chisa@deviantart | The ChiGarden | sketchblog

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches, I like the finished piece you did also, colors are nice, interesting manga style. I like your recent sketches alot, way to stay loose with the head drawings. I tend to tighten up way to soon and commit early then its to late later on to change things. Well its never to late, but it makes it easy when you stay light and loose to make ajustments. I really like the character concept of the girl wielding the brush thats really cool. I see its a concept your developing. Its good to have a story of a character in your head like this one, because it really keeps me motivated when I have a continuing concept. I still need to download that OC program and play around with it. I'm still trying to get use to my tablet pen, its so different from pencil, pen even. Your making great progress, keep em coming Chisa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Darktwin! It's hard to get anything definite when people keep moving around, so I guess its good practice at staying loose >.< I agree on it being motivating to have a specific character in mind, although it has meant that I draw the same character repeatedly and don't know how to do much else.

Tablets take a bit to get used to, because you're drawing on a different plane to the one that you can see your work on. I found it helped to use it instead of a mouse to do everything on the computer, its frustrating at first, but you get used to it after a while.

Todays sketches, of men for once! Pity there's only like four guys in my whole references book compared to the large number of women.

Last edited by Chisa; April 18th, 2006 at 01:57 AM.
    Chisa's Happy Place (sketchbook) | chisa@deviantart | The ChiGarden | sketchblog

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're anime illustrations are really clean and professional. Your life drawings still need help. Try not to do the "chicken scratch" effect to define a line...drop a line in confidence. Start doing a lot of anatomy studies from Loomis, Hogarth or Bridgeman.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chisa, you're really working!

Keep working on the figure drawing. It's looking good, and you're improving all the time. Loomis does kind of neglect the male figure, so find some photo ref online. (You're still using Loomis, right?)

I love your sketchbook painting. It's right on. White on white is a killer, but you seem to pull it off. It's something I'm strugeling with right now, actualy.

Keep it up!

Sketchbook - Sketchronomicon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like I said to Dile, your coming closer too *magic*

Keeppppp itttttttttttttttt UUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPp
    Rolo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chisa really nice update, good to see your pushing yourself to draw the male figure, I would have to agree with Smitherines, try to work from some anatomy books if you have them as well as life, things will definitly come together intuitively. I personally like Bridgemans book. I like the bottem standing figure the best, porportions are working the best withthat one. Keep em coming

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice chisa! I havent been so active in your sketchbook , but thats because
    you havent post so much, but here you are with alot of beautiful artwork,
    and here I am ready to say..... GREAT WORK AND IMPROVE MENT
    keep on going girl! these are great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, you're doing very nicely here I know it's lame that I don't have much crits to offer right now. Perhaps try to get some wider focus on the figures? Like studying others than Loomis. There are tons of other artists in this forum you can study from.

Good luck and keep up the hard work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smitherines: Thanks! I'm finding that I'm starting from the bottom again with life drawings, which is a little frustrating, but I'm slowly getting there. Unconfident lines has always been a big problem of mine, I'm really trying to not lift my pencil so much.

HankTol: Yup, still going with Loomis, just very veryyyy slowly, and haven't done much with it lately. With the white I found it looked much better using a pale grey rather than a colour closer to white... I guess pure white doesn't occur often in nature.

Darktwin: Thanks! I've heard Bridgeman mentioned pretty often, so when I get some spare cash I'm going to have to hunt around for it.

~Faust~: No worries, I know I haven't really done much to crit so far I haven't looked at Loomis much in a while, doing more observational stuff. When you mean study from artists in this forum, do you mean look for tutorials they've written, or try to imitate their works?

Dile and Rolo: Thanks for the support guys, it means a lot!

No new artwork just yet, but I did make a sketchbook blog kinda thing with that sketchbook piece. It'll mostly just be stuff that I post here, but its here if you want to take a look.

More soon!

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice stuff you've got going. Good to see you're still getting out there and sketching people from life. Nice figure studies, too; in particular the standing guy who looks like he's getting a smoke. And that chibi is adorable. :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ha, I checked out you blog, exelent
    nice nice nice As soon as I find a nice server I also put out a website or something (yeah I really do write Html JS, ASP, PHP)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks LoTekK!

Dile, is there anything you can't do?! XHTML/CSS I'm good with, a little shaky with JS and PHP, and ASP scares the hell outta me O_O Makes me wish I'd spent my teens actually learning useful skills like you are instead of doing whatever I did with my spare time... now the desire is there but the time is not!

Sorry for the picure~less post, just wanted to let you know I was impressed

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha well, My brother is a programmer so I did, or do learn that
    way, well, he was also the one who introducted me into 3D,..
    and my Sister was the one (exept Feng ZHu) who introduced me into
    2D (and, my Dad was also intrested in art, did some illustrations and so on)
    I guess there is to much ppl in my school wich not is to
    intrested in prepering for the next step in life, well, they think it should be
    fun all time, and I kinda more work, then fun that makes the fun even funnier

I have found a host now, so I will upload my website + a project website there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dile: That's awesome, you'll go so far with these skills you're learning while you have the time! I wish I'd done that, I'd be a lot further along the learning curve now. Gonna go check out your site now

I'm trying to spend at least one lunch break a week sketching people at the cafe at my university. It's interesting, but really bringing home that I can't capture detail quickly or remember it well enough to capture it after someone has moved.

I've been bad this week and haven't really pushed myself at all artistically - to be honest the only drawing I did was during lunch breaks and on the bus to and from work. But next week is a new week with a nice public holiday in it, so hopefully I'll get more done.

I also found that Tafe is running a short course in life drawing fairly close to where I live and within my budget. I haven't done an art class since I was 13, and never with live models, so I can't wait!

Cafe sketches + headshots from imagination (the shaded ones)

Figure drawing, no reference, bad proportions.

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back to Loomis again, the top two gestures were copied and the others are my own.

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Took a break to try drawing my character in a more stylised form, maybe to put on a tshirt or something... not completely happy with this version, I want it to be smaller and cuter.

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's great the way it is. I like the poses from the 26th. Your line-confidence is great, I guess that comes from the line-art you do constantly. Or not, I don't know

Your scetches from RL are not quite readable, tho. I'd like to see you concentrate on what's important, I may that sounds cheesy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, You got a nice manga/cartoon style! really, its not often I say nice to cartoon or MANGA, especially MANGA, but the manga/cartoon guy with the pencil on the back is amazing keep going
    ( btw, havent updload my website yet I try tonight )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good. keep up them life studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, love that version of your character. Great Loomis studies, and nice cafe sketches. Careful with your heads from imagination, though. The eye placement on the girl is a little off (too far apart). With the boy's head, you've got two perspectives fighting with each other: an almost-3/4-view (as suggested by the visibility of the side of his head/neck), and a direct front-view (as suggested by the placement of his features, and rendering of his face). Nice work, though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! i must say your anime style (is that the correct term?) is really nice. Its pretty good quality.
    do you want some constructive criticism??...yes.. no?i think your sketches are good but a little bit towards the scratchy side. Try practicing sketching with a slightly more subtle hand and you'll see your line quality start to improve a bit.
    keep updating! you got good stuff!

nick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~"With a little hope, and alot of try, anything is possible."~
    ~"The harder You work, the better life gets."~
    ~"The pain doesn't last, but the gain will last forever."~
    ~"Fear is my courage." ~Mr_S_14

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chisa, nice Loomis studies, I like how you made your own poses, thats how your really learn when you apply the knowledge you learned. I also like your last anime post, really nice line quality you got going. looking forward to some more work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love your action poses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~Faust~: Thanks! I've found that my line confidence is directly related to my confidence (I guess that makes sense), so if I'm sketching something I'm not sure about from my imagination it tends to be very scratchy, but if I'm working from a reference or tracing over a sketchy sketch I did earlier it tends to be a lot stronger. I'm not sure what you mean by 'readable'? And yeah, I have trouble prioritising... probably because there's just so many things that are important to me at the moment!

Dile: Thankyou, if people who don't normally like this style like my cartoonish work then that's quite an achievement ^_^

Orozc0: Thankyou and will do!

LoTekK: I see what you mean with the faces. I think faces are probably one of my weakest points, because the way I've stylised them for years require very little detail and appear very flat. I really need work in that area, thanks for the critiqe.

incolorinred: I'm always up for constructive criticism, that's why I'm here! I agree that that is a major problem with my lines, and I'm working on not lifting my pencil up so much, but I keep forgetting and going back to the scratchiness. With a bit more control and as I get more confident with what I'm actually drawing hopefully that'll improve.

Mr_S_14: Yay thanks, I was proud of those

[b]Darktwin Thanks Darktwin! Yeah I've found that the best way for me to learn has always been to copy some examples then try work with that information on my own, so I'm hoping that the same method will work with art.

npagan: Thankyou, I'm trying really hard to stay away from the static, boring poses I've always done up until now ^_^

-

Sorry so long without a proper update; I've been sick and tend to feel less creative when I'm sickly, so I've been resting and coding with my spare time. Felt up for something again tonight. Not perfect but it was a really fun expression XD

Reference used.

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another long break with not much to show for it ^^;

KH2 fanart of a character named Axel.

Blah, the life drawing class I signed up for was cancelled

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry for your life-drawing course.

The fan-art is good for fan-art. Issues I see are the Neck, with that neck, he'd besome &#252;ber-hulk-muscle-type. That doesn't match with the girly-face though. Plus, the artifacts in the corner of the hair do bother me. The hair bothers me in general, actually, it looks like he only has 1 layer of hair on the top of his head. Some more "background"-hair would've been nice

The structure is right on, though and I like how youtook care in the rendereing of the surroundings of the eyes. Not sure about the surrounding of the nose...

About the long absence without work: I know it sounds cheesy, but draw every day! That's the only thing to get better. And don't bother to keep a standard here by only posting your top-work. This is not about making pretty pictures, this is about learning.

Ok, enough rambling Keep it up, and hopefully for some more work soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, Cool "OMG" picture
    I like it, and the fan art is cool, but theres not much to structure in it!
    hehe, I shouldnt say anything.. loll.
    Keep it up! you doing great!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.