Sketchbook: Amiable's Learning Journey

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Amiable's Learning Journey

Hello all you dedicated, talented people out there. Inspired over the past month, I decided to stop lurking and start maintaining a Sketchbook.

Appreciate any Comments & Criticisms you may have, especially since I have no exposure to formal art education. Most of these are studies for particular purposes (as I conceive them) - I've indicated them in the caption, so if you have other suggestions, feel free to propose them as well

--

Learning layering in Painter. Used the Velocity Sketcher for the outline, then blocked out the values (in black and white) with digital watercolor. A uniform green was then laid over top on a separate layer set to color. Played with the Impasto brushes afterwards.

--

This was about trying to do a humanoid by first drawing the plumbing (spine/shoulder/hip lines). Painter, Variable Charcoal. GoogleRef.

--

Coloring with Digital Watercolor (simple wash & dry brush). Began with a palette of 5 (pale) colors, I wanted to see what can it turn out with plenty of "dry digital watercolor".

--

Not for learning purposes. I carry around a plush parrot all day long, and a friend volunteered to make a harness for her...

--

Wanted to see how pencil sketches / digital coloring that many people here seem to use would work. The cow was drawn in pencil, then scanned in, and colorized with Painter (digital watercolor; background variable chalk). I'm finding that I have difficulty getting clean pencil sketch - it always scan with many artifacts (like the little dots / scrappy lines) - any suggestions (or lead to tutties)? Also, is it possible to get bright, vibrant colours with digital watercolor? The colors always seem to be rather murky...

--

Abit of a put-it-all-together in Painter, was intending for ChOW (but ran out of time). Cover pencil sketch, opaque acrylic base coloring, and digital airbrush on a separate luminosity layer for the values. The "texturing" was by Add Grain (what are other ways to do this?). Border added at the end in PS: solid color, with Noise filter.

--

If you have other suggestions of activities that's helpful in developing my mad skillz , let me know.

Amiable.

Last edited by Amiable; March 6th, 2006 at 01:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Charcoal on paper. 8"x6".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome to CA! I dig those hands, nice values. Just remember if you really want to improve- draw a lot and draw everything. Do lots of studies from life, especially. I'd say more but i gotta head off to the bar. No worries, though, i'll drop by again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sith: Thanks for visiting. Have the plan to draw alot - now we'll see to whether the plan is anywhere.

Here's a bunch of red-pen while waiting at the bus-stop and cafe.

And... more charcoal. 24"x12".

Jon.

Last edited by Amiable; March 13th, 2006 at 01:49 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.