New Member; Needing good critique & advice
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New Member; Needing good critique & advice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon New Member; Needing good critique & advice

As some other posters here I only just recently signed up as a member and would love to recieve critique on one of my works.
    I rarely draw female characters and hardly ever in anime/manga style, however after recieving a request for a fantasy-style one for the local Anime Club, I decided to give it a try.
    Shichi was thus "born" and with a fair few struggles and errors along the way, let me tell you that. But as of this moment I see her as more or less finished (despite the Huge errors with the scythe's blade-angle and her hips. But nothing can ever be "perfected" for very long with a piece of art in ones Own eyes, right?).

I'd love to recieve comments and critique from you and let me know what I can do to maybe get a better understanding of the female anime character, among many other things.
    I am here to learn and am more than willing to post more works here in the future for critisism and help from you all!

Mediums used: HB 0.35 lead Mechanical pencil - Photoshop CS

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have something interesting going with the design of her scythe, and there are areas of her costume that are very well done. Your lines are clean and as individual parts, everything is well-drawn. I also rather like her expression.

Few crits:
    There are some problems with the anatomy. First, it appears that she only has one breast? I know the farther one is hidden behind the handle of her scythe, but from the angle your character is positioned, you should be able to see the underside of it. Also, her right arm is too long in proportion to the rest of her body. If her leg or elbow wasn't bent, the tips of her fingers would be around her knees. If you stand up and allow your arms to hang naturally, the fingers should hit about the middle of the thigh. The hand on that arm (and the arm itself) is drawn well; only the length is the issue.

Concerning how she is holding her scythe: her left hand is holding it by the top of the handle, but the weapon doesn't seem to have any support and appears to be floating in the air. Gravity would pull it out of her top-grip, and her other hand doesn't appear to be holding onto it at all.

Lastly, this is a personal thing, but I find your background sort of distracting. I think this would look great if you took the time to draw her into the background that the photo is attempting to represent. Have her be standing in the jungle with leaves in front and around her, instead of just pasting her on top of a photograph.

Good on you for posting and pushing yourself through critique. I'm sure you'll advance your skills quickly with that attitude!

-wick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be successful in anime/manga style you have to master anatomy anyway... also it's highly rely on characters expression and emotions. So don't study only anime. learn the basics, look at classic artists' paintings. Make sure to check out this thread as well http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26636
    And keep drawing and posting stuff!

-leo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking pretty good there! In my opinion her right forearm (our left) is too thick. I would also have gone a bit easier on the line defining the nose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Wick on all points.
    The copyright signature is unnecessary and really detracts from this being a serious piece.
    Her buttock doesn't connect with her leg and needs to be darker, curently it's one of the highest values, when i really shouldn't be.
    Fill your background with a flat colour, and SERIOUSLY look at your values and light source. shadows and highlights conflicting all over the place.
    Nice design though, and some nice detailing.
    -B-

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll say something different, although nitpicky.
    The scythe is COOL looking, but the curve is way to extreme to make it very functionable... you would have to get in extrmely close and hook someone with it, but of defeating the purpose of a pole-armed weapon.

Keep it at!!!
    -Loren

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my!

I was perhaps expecting one commentry on this piece after the upload, but this is way beyond what I was expecting! I'm so happy!

Thank you all for commenting and giving me critique, I Greatly appreciate it and as I've read your posts I've both realized what I can imrpove and what I Definitely need some more practise on.

Thank you all so much and I'll be sure to keep posting works on this Forum to try and get better!

Many, many thanks!
    /Lanisaz.

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love it when people are this civilized

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice image

Not sure if anyones mentioned this already, but I would make the backgroung paler to help your figure stand out more graphically.

Sorry I have not read everyones post, Im alomst dropping off - long day.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.