Thomas Kinkade
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Kinkade

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thomas Kinkade

I can't stand this dudes paintings, they make me gag. So it pleases me that his wholesome reputation is going down the drain.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

In sworn testimony and interviews, they recount incidents in which an allegedly drunken Kinkade heckled illusionists Siegfried & Roy in Las Vegas, cursed a former employee's wife who came to his aid when he fell off a barstool, and palmed a startled woman's breasts at a signing party in South Bend, Ind.

And then there is Kinkade's proclivity for "ritual territory marking," as he called it, which allegedly manifested itself in the late 1990s outside the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim.

"This one's for you, Walt," the artist quipped late one night as he urinated on a Winnie the Pooh figure, said Terry Sheppard, a former vice president for Kinkade's company, in an interview.

More here.....
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,4840766.story

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woh, this guy is absolutely crazy.
    Good thing he's no longer in the game.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait Doesn't this finally make him an artist. Won't his paintings sell for more?

Dear God I Hope So!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LoL That's ridiculous! Ha! I couldn't agree with you more, James.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe if he did a self-portrait of himself urinating on Winnie the Pooh he could rescue his career.
    Fight on, Tom!
    don't let the bastards get to you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man - does that make me awful that I loved this article? But man - I guess anyone would want to go nuts after painting such artifical sweetened paintings for so long. He needs to join CA.org and do a sketch trade and bust out some crazy creature with giant genitals or something.

I saw this report on him some years ago on TV where they show all this girls busting out this canvas prints of his and he would just pop in like 3 brushtrokes in a window or one of his lightposts and sign it. He was so fast- he was ripping through like 10 canvases in a minute- like a little Kinkade factory.

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i once seen a couple of kids kick a simular furry human in a costume figure at an amuzment park in my country. she started to cry and said she was just human. and they laughed. maybe them too are artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, I was thinking about Kinkade the other day, found myself wondering if he really is truly passionate about the hallmark sugery style art, or if he's just an asshole and only in it for the money.
    Sounds like maybe all the years of faking it are taking a toll

This article makes me so glaaaaad!
    Finding out he's a surly drunk bastard might shock all the old conservative ladies who buy his art

And I don't feel so bad for hating the guy, especially when people promote him as some modern master:
    "He is a modern-day Leonardo da Vinci or Monet. There is no one in our generation who can paint like that."
    yah...ok

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The man is the only artist to ever be on the stock exchange (NYSE & NASDAQ).

he is unbelievably rich,
    and DOES have factories that produce his "artist enhanced" prints.

"kinkade villages" have actually been constructed (and sold) to mimic his paintings.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=1130646

his older work is surprisingly competent.
    he has tried to get back into fine art painting,
    but his reputation for painting pink cottages has ensured that no gallery will take him seriously.

its unfortunate.
    but im sure he's coping well...

in his bed full of cash.

Last edited by DSillustration; March 5th, 2006 at 05:00 PM.
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow
    i knew very little about him, and although i like his work, ive only seen two of his pics
    its people like that that give the art community a bad name *wince* although his talent cannot be denied. but that doesn't mean he has to completely waste himself
    agreed, i am glad his career is going down the drain

9x6=42 which is the meaning of life and the number of times I think about you every day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by James Kei
    I can't stand this dudes paintings, they make me gag. So it pleases me that his wholesome reputation is going down the drain.
    Say what you will about Thomas Kinkade but he is a master of marketing and has made enough money to date to laugh his way all the way to the bank.

As artists, we constantly look to better, more skilled artists to inspire us & teach us. But what about finding a way to succeed doing what you love to do. Is that a skill worth learning? Until art schools smarten up and add some courses to teach the business behind art, all we can do is to look to artists who have built a successful business model and learn from it. Lately Thomas Kinkade seems he is foundering. Probably due to an error in judgement of forgetting the law of "Supply & Demand." By oversaturating the supply of his work on the market, he devalued his work and created less of a demand. In spite of his recent mistakes, there was a lot he did right early on.

For the record I agree with most of what has been said about Thomas Kinkade. At his best he is a competent but not a great artist. But that's not the point. People can be convinced to pay a lot of money for a painting or other artwork if they believe it's worth it. Convincing his customers that his work was worth it will be his real legacy. Imagine a truly great artist who could achieve that same level of success. It's not out of reach if you are willing to learn some lessons in business from some unlikely sources.

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i rember in fran san ron had this awesome tshirt:

"thomas Kinkade, wanted for crimes against art"

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He'll actually be coming to my city in a month or so.

Should I pee on him when he gets here?

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A buddy of mine, who's actually a really great artist, is working for him as a "highlight applicator," adding dabs of paint to his prints... it makes me happy in a malicious way that this article came out. "This is for you, Walt..." hahahaha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo
    He'll actually be coming to my city in a month or so.

Should I pee on him when he gets here?
    Yes.

"This is for you, art..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always thought he had decent landscapes... just that the general public doesn't really acknowledge that it's fantasy. His first job, as I understand it, was "Fire and Ice" as a background painter, imitating Frazetta. James Gurney was also and you can see in a sunset landscape painting or two in his "Dinotopia" books, how similar they look to Kinkades landscapes. And I think Gurney has definitely made a great idea of using books to produce a story out of concept art. no?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard that Kinkade went to art center with Gurney. And that after they graduated, they released an instructional book on landscape painting which I've heard isn't all that bad.
    Kinkade is certainly competent in the fundamentals of landscape painting, It's just his fluffy subject matter that I don't have a taste for.

In regards to his marketing skills, I heard that it was his brother that had the business plan. Kinkade just sits back and collects the checks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I read the thread title the first thing that popped into my mind was "Oh shit.. James Kei is going to soap box about Kinkade and profess his love for him". I'm relieved that my initial thought was so wrong. Is it just me or is he the Martha Stewart of the art world?
    -Mike V

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In regards to his marketing skills, I heard that it was his brother that had the business plan. Kinkade just sits back and collects the checks.
    You say this with such disdain. Since when is having a marketing plan that allows you to sit back and collect and collect checks a bad thing. If Thomas Kinkade's brother ever offers seminars to teach marketing for artists I'll be one of the 1st to sign up.

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowlin
    I always thought he had decent landscapes... just that the general public doesn't really acknowledge that it's fantasy.

A fantasy painter for middle aged house wives. He studied illustration as far as I know and found his niche.

funny article

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OH BURN!!!

Now to go draw a drunken Kinkade pissing on a crying Mickey Mouse *whistles gleefully*

My Sketchbook
    Contact e-mail: necronomicouch@gmail.com

"Every bullet left in my gun at the end of the day is a waste of the taxpayer's money" - Deputy T. Junior (Reno 911)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lolz, i think i like Kinkade after reading that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    speaking outside of the realm of the artist himself, I like the look of his paintings. they remind me a lot of old PC adventure games I used to love playing when I was younger.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe the kid with the gum could target a few Kinkades next time

Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard that Kinkade went to art center with Gurney. And that after they graduated, they released an instructional book on landscape painting which I've heard isn't all that bad.
    Kinkade is certainly competent in the fundamentals of landscape painting, It's just his fluffy subject matter that I don't have a taste for.
    Hmmm... was it an instructional book? I assumed it was a sketchbook of some sort... that they made from riding around in train cars. I may be wrong, but I thought they made it after the "fire and ice" movie.

My point is, it would seem that a lot of people on CA would have a lot of respect for James Gurney. His dinotopia books read as concept art to me. It's like he made the books to be pitched for a movie. So some of his painting is the book look very similar to Kinkade. Of course Kinkades compositions, color themes and so on is not presentable as concept art (now wouldn't that look silly, kinkade art used for movies or video games... bleah). But some CA's on this thread do have respect that he's a competent landscape artist. Though most of the respect has to be some of his earlier works.

Anyway, his paintings prove that the general public does like "fantasy" artwork! I can't understand why fantasy artist on CA are unable to find someone to help them become marketing successful also.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowlin
    I can't understand why fantasy artist on CA are unable to find someone to help them become marketing successful also.
    This should really be part of a general art education. People in other crafts & trades often apprentice from a more experienced person in their field. They learn not only the skills to improve their craft but are able to observe and participate in putting together estimates in which they have to determine a value on the work being proposed.

As artists, if we work as part of a team or on staff for an employer, few of us will be exposed to the process of estimating cost, juggling expenses and determining a final value that will hopefully include some profit. It's even harder for freelance illustrators working alone. I think it is just shameful that an entire group of skilled professionals are so clueless about the value of the service they provide. It is the very reason that recent grads in this field are so easily taken advantage of.

Just an interesting thought: Wouldn't it have been nice if Vincent Van Gogh and Thomas Kinkade could have traded brothers?

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it is kind of upsetting that my aunt and uncle bought a thomas kinkade print for $1500 when they could have bought a less gaudy/over-produced original piece of artwork from me while supporting my education in the arts and providing a little tuition money. haha, psh.
    not that my artwork is that great, but c'mon... i'm family.

i dislike thomas kinkade.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quoteriginally Posted by Bowlin
    now wouldn't that look silly, kinkade art used for movies or video games... bleah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahaha!
    Its weird but I REALLY want to carjack, GTA style around a world like that!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha S.A. has a whole 2 part series devoted to him... good find james

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.