Art: Aspiring artist needs help with... everything
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Aspiring artist needs help with... everything

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Aspiring artist needs help with... everything

I'm not quite sure where to post this, but this appears to be the correct section.

Hello, my name is Sam Erlanger. I'm fifteen years old and I hope to make a living as an artist some day. (That sounded like an introduction at an AA meeting :P)

Anyway, for a long time I was heavily influenced by manga, And only a year ago began to work myself out of the "habit". For a while I took lackluster classes and studied the world around me to further advance my skills, but recently I broke down and bought a book. I believe it was called "Anatomy from the Great Masters". It has helped me immensely, but I'm still not happy with what I can do.

One major problem I have is heads and faces. I'm simply not good when it comes to drawing them. I also recently developed this odd problem with the far eye in 3/4 portraits; no matter how many times I redraw it, it looks flat or angled oddly, as you can see in the sketch below:

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, for the heck of it, I thought I'd throw in a sketch of my hand I did a few months ago.

I also dabble a bit in digital art, but that's a story for another day.

Any help, tips, etc. on the human body in general would be excellent. Thank you.

Last edited by Tavanaka; March 5th, 2006 at 03:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have big bold outlines. I'd try to eliminate those by building up from a light sketch, slowly building to dark tones with shadows. Try drawing shadows with your non-dominant hand from a reference. Just draw the shadows. No outlines. That should help with placement on the page too. If you're happy with the darks, but not the lights, take a nice sized eraser and work out the highlights.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup Tavanaka.

You draw with your left brain. Forget everything you thought you knew about the human figure and get this book. If you do all the exercises it will change the way you look at drawing. I suggest forget anatomy studies for a while and learn how to use your eyes and mind first. Those are really your drawing tools. The pen is just an appendix.

Good luck man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ngnorden
    Sup Tavanaka.

You draw with your left brain. Forget everything you thought you knew about the human figure and get

Yes, if you do that, you're goin to be a GREAT artist!!!8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your head looks bad, because there's a lot of things wrong with it. To name a few, the eyes, nose and mouth are drawn too low, and the ear too short.

If you have tried to draw the head carefully and applied your understanding of head proportions, its time to revisit the basics by referring to this page:

http://drawsketch.about.com/library/.../aa121202a.htm

For a good practice on drawing the head in its 3D form, take a look at this page:
    http://www.anticz.com/heads.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by patdzon
    Yes, if you do that, you're goin to be a GREAT artist!!!8)
    The reason I say forget what you thought you knew is because it's obvious that Tav isn't drawing what he is seeing but rather what he thinks a head looks like. If you look closely you can see that he is using symbols for pretty much everything in the portrait especially the eyes and nose. Drawing is about forgetting about labelling things as ears & nose and just draw what you see, no judgement.

It's just advice and it isn't for everyone so take it or leave it. People can continue copying anatomy books for years on end and call themselves artists but personally I think there is more to drawing than that.

I like the hand though it has a nice personal style.

Last edited by ngnorden; March 5th, 2006 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MegaData, thanks for the tip. I'll try it out sometime today.

ngnorden, I remember reading about that book and intended to buy it, but I forgot the title :P thanks for linking me. I also agree 100% on your comment that art is more than just labeling. That's one of the main reasons I stopped conforming to the manga style. I felt it was too restrictive in some areas.

patdzon, thank you for the kind comments

nafa, that link was more or less exactly what I was looking for in the first place. thanks.

I have to say, it's extremely refreshing to get actual criticism for once. Thanks guys :D

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.