My first completely finished creature...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first completely finished creature...

After watching a few of the Gnomon workshop DVDs I am somewhat happy with this turnout. I know what i want it to look like and its not quite there. This was sketched in pencil then rendered completely in photoshop. Currently ID at CCS but now dbl majoring in illustration so I can begin learning about doing all the facets of this stuff... Please tear him up

and the sketch...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I think it's a start, especially for someone who doesn't really work in this field. But here's a few things to help you out. Really study anatomy both human and animal. Decide on a light source ahead of time, right now I can't see where the light is coming from because there are no highlights or deep shadows. Try to think of a dynamic pose for the creature, if it looks like its just sitting there then that's all it will do. Sketch he creature in multiple angles before you start so you know how it is put together and so you can avoid some of the anatomical errors I see here. Keep practicing and if you really like this creature then I'd say work with him some more until he evolves into something believable as far as rendering and anatomy go. Good effort thus far though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nexus nailed it, and you're going to get that alot around here, everyone says study anatomy more, and everyone should... but you should have known man, neville page says himself that he will sit there and study a dog's anatomy for that creature he made for hours and hours, and do a lot of copying for study out of dog anatomy books to make sure he understands it. ya missed that part and i think it's just because you got excited about applying techniques you just learned. at least you're excited man, and gnomon dvd's are a great place to get alot of info, but i'd suggest trying your damnedest to improve your visual understanding of forms first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely agree with what you guys are saying. Right now i have zero illustration classes or figure classes because I am doing product design. BUT, since i decided a few weeks ago to do illustration also, next year I will be taking anotomical figure drawing and a few other illust classes to get more familiar with human form and just anotomy in general. I should really buy a book or something on anatomy, but i just want to wait until my anatomy class so that i can totally divulge in it.

Do you guys think its bad for me to draw creatures with very little knowledge of anatomy? I am basically just guessing where I want muscles to be thoough i do know there are biceps and triceps and so forth... I just dont know exactly what they look like from different angles. Maybe i will just keep drawing from observation until I totally understand anatomy, then move onto creatures again. Besides I really started drawing from observation about 2 weeks ago, doing animals and people if u want to check out my sketchbook, before that was just ID drawings of products and stuff that is seamingly produced rather then living and evolved.

Oh and today, I bought large book on animals and nature in general, so i can begin to learn why certain animals have certain things... Any advice and opinions on my approach would be helpful... THanks so far u2.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.