Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

trying just as hard as the rest of you--updated mar 26

Going to start a sketchbook thread after seeing how much everyone else has steadily improved from doing this. Myself, i'm 17 and lives in Toronto. I'm lucky enough to have life drawing every day at my high school for the past year.

Skinny models are my favourite, especially when they're unhealthily skinny.

The pen and ink portion of my Sheridan portfolio

Sketching animals at the royal ontario museum last week.

Anyone know how I can make my pictures look less discoloured when they show up on screen??

Last edited by Chichigo; March 26th, 2006 at 04:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey there fellow sheridan..er. Nice to see some lifedrawing going on! Go often, stay the whole 3 hours and you'll see improvement in days. Also, nice bird sketches...and don't forget to update often. (Don't be lazy like me.)

Thanks
    whoa, real fast reply Chandan, nice to meet ya, a fellow torontonian?? Haha, I'm no sheridian yet, just trying out this year for illustration. Are you a student there?

I hate to say it.. but life drawing on my own is too expensive. consider the cost to transit downtown and then paying for probably dinner and still have the cost of life drawing on top of that. It was so much easier when the models came to my high school and we spent the period drawing.

[edit]: just checked out your sketchbook, your digital renders are really nice stuff!! That hammer.. wow.

Thanks
    Yeap, i'm in Art Fundies there...good luck with getting in. Also...if you can't afford life drawing, sit at the transit station and sketch people. You'll feel like a pervert for the first five min. then you'll actually like it.

Thanks

Building on main street in my city.

Thanks
    Wow there's some serious talent here and I envy you for your life-drawing opportunities . The shading is already top-notch, you know how to handle a pencil. Nothing to crit yet. What about some freeminded doodles?

Thanks
    ;p thanks bud, i'll give that a try next. actually kind of nervous about how things turn out without references.

Thanks
    a little more nonsensical:

Thanks
    Yummy.. I like your rendering. Nice studies overall, especially the bird.

As for how to make your stuff less discoloured or washed out, what software are you using for cropping and resizing? Are you scanning or photographing? Generally, you might want to desaturate and push the contrast and gamma.

Sketchbook 2005 2006 2009

Thanks
    Thx for posting. Maybe you guys could give some critique next time?? ;D

You're using pretty advanced terms here, care to explain what you mean by desaturateing and pushing the gamma??? I use photoshop to colour correct the digital photos I take. I use the camera becuase it is a lot more convenient than scanning.

Thanks
    Yay, I can log in again

Well as for critique, I'm a bloody noob myself (drawing on a regular basis for some more than a year now), but I'll do my very best

About your figure-studies: There's a thread from Jason Chan somewhere here (didn't find it spontaneously), there he wrote that there are 2 different ways to do lafe-drawings. First its in a painterly way, you draw what you see, hopping from from to form, rendering shadows as you go. You define the values that you see. That way, you don't need outlines. It's not entirely analysis-free though. You still have to think about light and how it affects surfaces and forms.

The second is the analytical figure-drawing (I think that's what the thread was called, but I'm not sure). There you analyse the body, build it up on paper with simple geometric forms such as cylinders and cubes and spheres. Here you gain much theoretical knowledge about anatomy and a better understanding about bodies in space and perspective.

Long rant, short sense: I can't fully recognise either in your studies. This one looks fairly analytical because there's lots of helping lines and such. Unfortunately they don't seem to be put very wisely. You need a defined torso (There isn't), the hips are okay though. The right arm looks pretty wrong, too, this implies that you are either lacking in the knowledge of arm-muscles (then you have to do some extensive studying on this one) or were just sloppy. If the former was the case, you should take more time in the future.
    Here we have a nother more analytical drawing where the basic shapes are treated badly. The legs are wrong (I think you see that) and the torso doesn't look very 3D. There are mistakes with the arms too, mainly perspective-wise.

For a drawing that's going wrong painterly-wise, there's This one. The outlines are far too much emphasized, and they are going around the whole figure, and that is not good. You should try to captures one form, one sillouette after the other, putting together a puzzle and having all the right part together in the end. Here, again, are many mistakes, first one the chair, which is off in perspective, the hands which are way too thick for a woman with that body and the body-parts look too much 2D, also.

The idea of this whole thing is, that in the end, all the analytical stuff happens in your mind and the painterly on your paper

Don't get this wrong, I still think you're better than me, and all those issues are something I have to work on myself, but you asked for it!

Thanks
    Nice work here. Hope u will post more soon. Cheers!

Check put my schetchbook if you please
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61551

Thanks
    keep up those studies.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.