Sketchbook: sketchbook - big ol dump (nudity) - 5.27.08 - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    brandon.leedy is offline They can't do what we do and they hate us for it. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I finally got an account here and I gotta say, wow your work is amazing...I started at the beginning of this thread and looking at your most recent stuff really shows insane improvement...I mean your earlier stuff was great but every one keeps improving, and I love the style...so many great ideas...especially the spaceships and the "moose-zombies"...Did you say earlier that you are using the harder lead drafting pencils? Like the mechanical ones? The reason I ask is because my drawings for Nixon need help with line quality, and after seeing your stuff I realized I need to step it up for sophomore year... Right now I'm using the regular wood pencils and everything looks too loose...anyways I love the new stuff, and as always the landscapes are sweet (yeah WACOM!!) Later...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Njord-E55: i've got it sitting on my hardrive, ill read though it tonight

@Leadster618: i like the hard lead drafting pencils because you don't have to sharpen them and they keep a very nice point, just some cheap bic mechanical pencils with 2h lead in them most of the time, put some of your stuff up here man, this site needs more daap represending

a painted up sketch and my portfolio, photobucket messed around with the image size so the text probably isn't too readable, this is getting printed out on 11x17 sheets eventually, very apprehensive about getting hired, i gotta send this out later this month

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im really enjoying how you presented your folio above! Looks modern and quite professional.
    That lil instruction how to make your own zombie moose is a good idea (probably done before but its still good to see).
    I like your thumbnail work most, I might even try something like that :p. But your looking very good with those industrial design!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of coolness going on today. The huge update is great.

Can't talk as I'm supposed to be doing school while I dowload files for school.

Great sp on the bed. I can't tell you how familiar that is to me. Feeling your toes fall asleep while sketching like a madman.

Interesting pointer on the "half-drawing" I had never though about the position of the cutoff point before.

The reason you like Myasoki but hate anime is that MYASOKi IS NOT ANIME. Simple as that. He uses none of the stylistic techniques of anime and all his work is fully animated. No cut and past going on in his movies. You could call it Japanese animation I guess, but it isn't anime by a long shot. I loathe cheep steriotypical anime, but there are a few high quality ones I enjoy.

So that is the cover-art, as it were, for your portfolio? Cool, it does look quite professional. I have to start working on that portfolio piece that I've been ignoring for coming up on two months now. I just can't find the time to pull out the inks and make the washes.

Good work, keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bendragon: thanks, hopefully it will be good enough to get hired

@Q-Caddlewick: thanks for the comments man, im supposed to be working on school stuff as well right now :p

crap from school and other stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good values on the, Space Helicopter?

I'm sensing a theme with these guys in space suits. What are you planning on using them for?

Industrial design is cool, but i would never have the patience for it. To be able to make hundreds of scrubbers(?)/scrapers look different and interesting is one ability I'll never have. Good work.

Hang school. It's such a drag. Oh, to be able to do whatever I want, and get paid for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pestilence! RARR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great improvments man, just stoping by to say hi. like how you did the enviro/prop thing for pirakha project!still differente from your other environs here thoug. keep at it
    btw your veichle /robot concepts are sick!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../greyrobot.jpg

love this one Great values! Thanks for joining the 'little' project You have improved a lot since I saw your stuff last time, and since page one also, your stuff looks kinda sparth inspired, especially the portfolio piece,
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...mbat/page6.jpg
    Just thought it was pretty showing in these pieces, not a bad thing, but maybe not what you show in a portfolio , but what do i know
    The folio looks really well designed and professional, and it would be a website/portfolio i'd visit more then one time Great work!
    my favorite : http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...mbat/page5.jpg

Keep it up!

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool sketchbook. I remember seeing those animal zombies when I went into Ryan's classroom one day. Those are some sweet character designs. Keep those close. anyway, it's all looking pretty good keep it up. One day those of us in Cincinnati will rise up and take the concept design world by storm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Q-Caddlewick: the space suits were originally intended for a portfolio piece i was planning but got scrapped due to time, school and ID are pains but worth it in the long run

@Ryan DeMita: it is a fearsome sight

@frostsnake: thanks man, glad to be a part of the project

@Dile_: thanks for stopping by, the portfolio is kind of shambles of whatever i could pull together last week and still needs a lot of refining, as i said before glad to be a part of the project

@auden100: thanks man, this city would be a force to be reckoned with if we can get some more faculty support for concept art

some pirakha enviros, a few random pages and school stuff. i hate furniture now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting furniture. I can understand why you hate it now, that must have taken some time. As for the secound eviro, the clouds doesn't seem puffy enough. They seem a bit to defined.

The rest is looking swell though. I hope you don't start to go on a chair breaking rampage. We need our four-legged friends.

| My Sketchbook |
    |Simplified - My Web Portfolio |

The foot-picture was concived at 3 A.M. during a creative spree...

SSG#15
    InvincibleWombat-Mort-Dead Road 7-Apocalypse_Rex -Njord-E55-Iolarnula

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool to see some environments. once you have the design figured out you should play aroud with lighting.

me likes samurai styled helmets.

I'd say soften the curvs on the chairs a little, some of them look a bit uncomfortable.

seeing you work on environments made me think that I need to start doing some different things with my art. I'm pretty hung up on figures right now, I think i'll start doing robots and enviro's too. Also I'm going to start working more with observational pieces. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooo...Pirahka enviros look intriguing. Particularly like the shot of the aircraft flying through the canyon there, kind of makes me think of a cinematic. Greyscale robot further up the page is strong indicator of your skill with tech design.

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Njord-E55: i think i've forgiven them by now

@Q-Caddlewick:
    glad to hear i helped to inspire

@iolarnula: thanks, id is paying off for tech

some things i am tired and need sleep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything is top notch today.

TC piece is great, i've got that one saved.

I'm loving the the air "ships" Smart to start with simple forms when designing, I can't wait to see you start fleshing them out and adding details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Q-Caddlewick: thanks man

some papers, stuck in a rut as far as subject matter...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally an update!

You've been slacking lately. Some of us are not enjoying the long gaps between updates. You must do something to remedy this.

That first inky thing, love it. Inks are awsome.

The robots are very inspiring. They are right along the lines of what I was going to do. You helped me get out of a design block.

You don't seem to be in a rut as far as I can tell. Subject matter is as varied as usual. I think I know how you are feeling though. Sometimes when I'm doing figures from my head, I feel like I can't come up with any decent dynamic poses. Then when I post them, the first thing everyone says is they like the dynamic poses. I think we get in a rut in our mind even if we are still producing like usual. Try shaking things up and doing a bunch more landscapes, or trying a different medium. You know "fun with sharpies!". Doing reffed work always seems to help me. Eventually you hit a point with your imagination where you need more info going in, to keep putting out. It makes sense. After a while you will reach the limit of what's in your head. You've got to add some material to work with.

And that's my lecture for today, hope it helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Q-Caddlewick: thanks for the speech, i was having a bad week motivation wise across the board. I will try to get some more frequent updates in.

model sheets, zbrush attempts, and some marker work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude your chess set is looking really nice. the model on the left is fucking sweet. my only suggestion is maybe try to make more distinction between where his hands meet his thighs, although it might have to be like that for powder printing. right now, they look as one (which could actually be kinda tight if you could figure out the anatomy of it). your sketching has improved so much dude. im always impressed by how much you draw in perspective. you are starting to develop some really good technical skills. i think doing some more studies of anatomy and how certain mechanical things work would help a lot. they dont have to be completely realistic, just enough to make them more believable. for instance on the respirator there just isnt enough information to completely sell it although its drawing pretty nicely. i have a respirator mask at home and it always amazes me how much detail it has. oh and put those chair sketches in your portfolio, they are really tight! overall, your coming along really well man just remember to put shit in your portfolio that shows your process.

keep grinding away!
    ryan

oh one last thing, if there is a part of a drawing that you're having trouble with try to sketch it in with pencil before you wing it with pen. get some reference or something to help you. take the time to do it right. even sketch that object on another sheet of paper. (you'll find that you might be sketching a lot of hands and eyes cuz they're a bitch, lol)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff you got going in here. The only thing I can see you need to give some more attention to is anatomy. I would suggest brigdman's constructive anatomy as a good place to start.

cheers

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Ryan & Unbreakable: yes, i know studies, i have been very lazy in that respect

school and battle td stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and another quicky for luck in hoping for 2 snow days in a row

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    didn't get the snow day but did another in class just because

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the flying boat concepts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @orbital: thanks, check the pirakha link in my sig if you want to see more from that project

these are very fun to make and kept me from doing my homework all day

brandon.leedy is offline They can't do what we do and they hate us for it. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man I haven't been on in a while (so much work), but I love the new stuff (last i had seen was the portfolio). First, as always, the environs blow me away every time, I'm trying some painting with my tablet because of you...but they will never measure up, haha... The airships are my favorite right now, I've been drawing a lot of those myself cause I'm really into FFXII and the ships in that are so intricate, they just make you want to draw them! Finally I heard about the chess sets and I really like the renderings of yours! What are you using as your modeler? We just got Cinema 4d and are learning it in Digital Foundations (WOO!!) its similar enough to blender that im one step ahead of everybody else, so thats good... Oh and I really like the carrying theme of the chess pieces (from your moose zombies) they remind me of something from "Spirited Away" (cant remember its name). After having these two off days (delays for me cancel my two classes, yes!) I've caught up with my work so I should be posting all my stuff tomorrow in my own sketchbook...I'll keep you posted.... awesome stuff as always...

ps. the mech/ drafting pencils are helping my work so much, thanks for the advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Leadster618: thanks man

some stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your chess set is great man. the feet studies are looking really nice as well. good stuff man, keep working hard.

-ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the brush strokes on the newest "painting"...ahh the foot! lol nice...Maybe your feet studies should get together with my shoe studies and have a party...haha. And, As if this wasn't shameless self promotion....Id be honored if anybody on here would check out my sketchbook...I'm interested in hearing some feedback since this is my first attempt at posting on ConceptArt...thanks in advance...

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1